What enchants do I need for my tank gear and what is the new hit cap for tanks?

I've been having trouble tanking in cataclysm so far and I think it may be my hit cap. So far when I pull I immediately lose aggro. What is the hit cap and what enchants should go on my gear. Any tips would be appreciated.

Google is hard? amirite?

User was banned for this post and the one below. - Simca
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-25 at 09:45 PM.

What class? Armory would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BarShots View Post
    Google is hard? amirite?
    Really? Your post is useless , rude , and just plain stupid.
    MMO-champion exsists for this reason.
    hes not just asking what the hit cap is , he also wants to know about enchants
    OP: What class are you, im a DK at around 28 Expertise and im good on that, i can check my hit later

Google is hard I can see that now.

User was banned for this post and the one above. - Simca
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-25 at 09:45 PM.

Paladin and yes, i did check google

---------- Post added 2010-12-25 at 04:55 PM ----------

Paladin level 85
    Server: Drenden
    Character Name: Valdorian

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about pallys, but what i did for enchants / gems was, i took my lowest defensive stat that could be improved by gems or enchants, and bumped that up, seemed to be working fine, haven't wiped too much but then again im still in regs at 233 ilvl

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338-...3_2010_4_0_3a/ <---- Best tanking guide around

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110338-...0_3a/#Enchants <--- The enchants you need. For some of them (the ones that require maelstrom crystals) you can use lesser enchants such as Pyrium Weapon chain or Enchant Chest - Stamina.

The hit cap is 8% for raids and 6% for heroics. We get spellhit throught our spec so when we're melee capped then we're also spell capped. I suggest you get expertise soft-capped before hit capped if you're not expertise soft-capped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Thank you BurningStick and Twilightdawn. Very useful

15+ Year Old Account
    Well in raids, threat stats are really unneeded. Bosses hit you so hard that you can keep near infinite threat through Vengeance after the first 15 or so seconds. Before that you'll have tricks or MD to give you the temporary threat you need until Vengeance kicks in.

Because of the ease of threat in raiding, I'll assume you're talking about heroics then. Since heroics are just a means to get to raiding for most people, I would not gear for the hit cap nor the expertise cap unless you are really struggling or really want heroics to be your main focus.

TL;DR: For raids, don't focus on threat stats at all. Heck, I'd go so far to say to reforge them off. For Heroics, do whatever you wish, but with PuG healers, you're better off with a stamina+mastery mix and if DPS pulls threat it is their own fault.

Also, moved to the Paladin Forums.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-25 at 10:41 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

What are you using to Pull, I'm assuming Avenger's Shield followed by a judjement while running in? If it's trash, always mark a skull so DPS knows what to hit first, after its dead you shold have enough agro on everything provided they were single targeting.

If you can, an Armoury link would be good.

Ps - the bulk of your threat will come from your mainhand weapon, make sure it's decent even if you have to buy a blue from the AH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdorian View Post
    Paladin and yes, i did check google

---------- Post added 2010-12-25 at 04:55 PM ----------

Paladin level 85
    Server: Drenden
    Character Name: Valdorian
    What region do you play on? There are lots of regions you know.
    1. Respect your fellow community member

Do not correct other people's posts when they make a grammatical or spelling mistake. Not everyone's native language is English. If yours is you should be glad everyone else is doing an effort. Respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowsftl View Post
    What region do you play on? There are lots of regions you know.
    United States. Eastern Standard Time

---------- Post added 2010-12-25 at 07:15 PM ----------

I can't post links yet so the only way to look at armory is manually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdorian View Post
    United States. Eastern Standard Time
    Thanks.

As a paladin tank you shouldn't gem/enchant or reforge for hit/expertis. You'll loose too much avoidance if you do.

On maintankadin forums in the sub forum gear advice something (sorry for not posting a link, on my iphone(x-mas <3) There should be a thread called "4.0.3a enchant and gem guide" or something like that. It will answer all your questions.
    1. Respect your fellow community member

Do not correct other people's posts when they make a grammatical or spelling mistake. Not everyone's native language is English. If yours is you should be glad everyone else is doing an effort. Respect that.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming that you plan to tank in raids, you are going for 961 hit rating which equals 8% hit chance at least 481 (maybe 480) expertise rating for 16 expertise.

Glyph of Seal of Truth will give you an additional 10 expertise to help you reach the expertise soft cap of 26.

8% hit will prevent you from missing bosses.
    26 expertise will prevent bosses from dodging.
    56 expertise will prevent bosses from parrying.

As for gems and enchants, I always refer to Maintankadin's item enchant guide:
    maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=29733&rb_v=viewtopic
    They distinguish gems and enchants by survival and threat and list several of them for each slot (or color for gems) from best to worst.