Thread: Ideal Prot Spec

Ideal Prot Spec

Just wanted to know. My guilds about to soon start raiding. We're not hardcore or anything. Just casual. But I'd like to know. Is it better to go with a prot spec designed for max damage for to pick up the spec designed around massive self heals and raid heals? And also, why?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    Just wanted to know. My guilds about to soon start raiding. We're not hardcore or anything. Just casual. But I'd like to know. Is it better to go with a prot spec designed for max damage for to pick up the spec designed around massive self heals and raid heals? And also, why?
    Massive selfheal.

Why ? Cause you'll need it. Go for a WoG spec with Eternal Glory and Guarded by the Light.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMufRzdRRuf0h

Is the spec I'm currently using in Heroics.

Once your threat is at about 25%-50% of your target's health imo WoG is better to use than ShotR purely because you can usually maintain enough TPS with just your judges, hammer/ cs, AS, HW, and Conc off CD to stay above the dps, and WoG with 2/2 Guarded by the Light will 1. Always save your healer some mana, and 2. still generate threat and has the potential to absorb most bosses melee hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarius View Post
    Massive selfheal.

Why ? Cause you'll need it. Go for a WoG spec with Eternal Glory and Guarded by the Light.

And now that I think about it, I could (i.e. should) put points in Eternal Glory.

so this is my revised spec from that

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGrhfRddRRuf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    2. still generate threat

It doesn't anymore, it has been nerfed. (as i remember)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalarius View Post
    It doesn't anymore, it has been nerfed. (as i remember)
    If it actually heals, it should generate threat (how else would healers get zerged by adds?), and if it overheals (i.e. causes the shield effect) then it won't generate threat.

That's been my understanding from the very beginning, added with that I've noticed 10-30k jumps in my threat when I've actually scored heals with it.

Deleted
    If it actually heals, it should generate threat (how else would healers get zerged by adds?), and if it overheals (i.e. causes the shield effect) then it won't generate threat.
    There's not a shield effect any more and there hasn't been for quite a long time.

---------- Post added 2010-12-26 at 11:43 AM ----------

From overhealing with WoG in prot, I mean, there's still Holy Shield of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliez View Post
    There's not a shield effect any more and there hasn't been for quite a long time.

---------- Post added 2010-12-26 at 11:43 AM ----------

From overhealing with WoG in prot, I mean, there's still Holy Shield of course.
    Are you sure? Cause that's not what my buffs and Recount is saying on the Absorbs window. If you're 2/2 in Guarded by the Light you get the shield from overheals, if you're 0/2 or 1/2, you get no shield

And by shield I mean the same mechanic of PW: Shield and the Holy Pally mastery.

Deleted
    Ah if it's only 2/2 then my bad, I haven't even taken one point into it on my protection paladin yet, because I thought it was totally gone. Need to rethink my spec in that case.

There is still a shield with overhealing, if you haven't been seeing it then its just basically healed you. The shield lasts what 2 seconds or so but usually you are hit way before that.

That's been my understanding from the very beginning, added with that I've noticed 10-30k jumps in my threat when I've actually scored heals with it.
    Paladin heals only cause 25% aggro per hp healed (unless they changed it in Cata). Righteous Fury multiplies threat by 3 so it's 75% aggro per hp healed. Spending your holy power on SotR would be better threatwise. For survival a self heal spec is good.

The most basic tank spec is everything in prot except Eternal Glory, imp Hammer, Hallowed Ground, Reckoning, GbtL and Divine Guardian. These talents IMO are personal preferences. Survival with selfheals, improved aggro generation and raid support.
    From the ret tree Crusade should be taken, anything else is situational but also nice.

Edit: My current spec (for heroics) is http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhfRddRMucbh:sokqRb
    Divine Guardian isn't very useful in 5-mans but you should consider it if you raid.
    Last edited by Kabbalah; 2010-12-26 at 12:03 PM.

7/34/0 is working real nice. I have the self heal when I heal someone else, the improved crit chance when I heal a target that's low. And I have everything except wrath of the lightbringer and seals of the pure. I start by popping wings, exo and avengers, use hotr off cd (hits more then cs in my spec single target) and use my first few holy powers on sotr. After threat is stable I'm constantly WoG'ing myself and flash healing others when needed. Rolling with seal of insight. Threat is stable. And my healing is through the roof Healers been having a much much better time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    7/34/0 is working real nice. I have the self heal when I heal someone else, the improved crit chance when I heal a target that's low. And I have everything except wrath of the lightbringer and seals of the pure. I start by popping wings, exo and avengers, use hotr off cd (hits more then cs in my spec single target) and use my first few holy powers on sotr. After threat is stable I'm constantly WoG'ing myself and flash healing others when needed. Rolling with seal of insight. Threat is stable. And my healing is through the roof Healers been having a much much better time.

Look at this image.
    Now go get Wrath of the Lightbringer.