Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

4850 3-way Crossfire

Hiya, I just installed a 4850 3-way Crossfire onto my PC couple days ago as I have been having trouble running WoW on Ultra with my single 4850. My problem being that WoW has not increased in fps at ALL using another 2 cards. Surely something is wrong here. I`m using 4gb DDR3 ram and an AMD Phenom Quad-Core processor running at 2.4Ghz.

Just very confused, this set up should be able to run WoW on Ultra.

Aspiring paramedic

Your CPU could be the bottleneck

Deleted
    Have you updated your drivers and do drivers support Crossfire for World of Warcraft?

Is wow even able to properly use crossfire yet? I've been gone awhile but i knew from past experience that it made no difference. I think your CPU is fine though. 3 way sli for a game like wow is a waste...imo you could have went with something like a 6850 and received alot better performance with just a single card.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    WoW does not support Crossfire.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU is bottlenecking your rig, no doubt about that.

---------- Post added 2010-12-26 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    WoW does not support Crossfire.
    It doesn't FULLY support crossfire, but you see performance increase. Usually what i see happening is the second card only being used up to 50% or something. Don't know about 3 cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you point me in the right direction for a CPU which will be on par with the video cards I have then? thanks for responses so far.

Aspiring paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by bighead01753 View Post
    Could you point me in the right direction for a CPU which will be on par with the video cards I have then? thanks for responses so far.
    Phenom II X4 should do the trick, just go for 3.2ghz or above.

As far as I know the Phenom's have the same socket as the Phenom II's, right? >_>

Deleted
    I believe there was a post on mmo-champion front page about this some time ago. My advice would be to go with a new Nvidia GPU as those seemed to score the highest FPS rankings in the Tom's Hardware's test which they did specifically for WoW. I personally have a Nvidia card myself (gtx470) and I must say I've been very pleased with that choice. I run WoW with every graphic setting at maximum and most of the time, at least when soloing, I have the maximum (?) of 100fps constant.

My other components are 3.0ghz x4 AMD AM2+ processor and 6gb of DDR2 RAM.

The CPU is definitely a bottleneck, but the 4850's aren't exactly top of the range GPUs either.

The best CPU you could get right now is i7 980X, but for the best price its an AMD.. although you can't OC those as much as you could an intel.

perhaps you could OC your current comp and get it to 3GHZ, although I would say buying a CPU would be your best bet. intel i7 920 isn't a bad cpu either.

Deleted
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=21054
    Are SLI or XFIRE features supported for multiple video cards?
    Yes, these are supported features although that does not necessarily translate to higher performance.
    I've heard that it has some problems if you're playing in windowed mode though. so if you are you can try out fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaarh View Post
    Phenom II X4 should do the trick, just go for 3.2ghz or above.

As far as I know the Phenom's have the same socket as the Phenom II's, right? >_>
    the 965 running at 5.1ghz stable is a BEAST of a cpu. best i ever owned.
    but @ OP if its a phenom 1, they were ASS, really bad and yes it will bottleneck.
    if you still have the recipt youre better taking the 4850's back and getting one bigger card.
    and like many have said, i dont think wow even supports crossfire, especially across 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was actually going to buy a GTX580, but then my brother decided to buy me 2 4850`s out of nowhere. Can`t take them back :S. I`m going to buy http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186428 AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz. Probably OC to 4.0Ghz at least.

Aspiring paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer View Post
    the 965 running at 5.1ghz stable is a BEAST of a cpu. best i ever owned.
    but @ OP if its a phenom 1, they were ASS, really bad and yes it will bottleneck.
    if you still have the recipt youre better taking the 4850's back and getting one bigger card.
    and like many have said, i dont think wow even supports crossfire, especially across 3
    Holy crap, 5.1? What were you cooling that with?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead01753 View Post
    Well, I was actually going to buy a GTX580, but then my brother decided to buy me 2 4850`s out of nowhere. Can`t take them back :S. I`m going to buy http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186428 AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz. Probably OC to 4.0Ghz at least.
    Is this even a serious post? Who casually decides to buy a top of the line enthusiast GPU and pairs it with a very mainstream orientated CPU? Judging from your banner it probably makes perfect sense.

Asera has pointed out that WoW does not properly support crossfire or infact any multi-GPU configuration well. This is true, currently WoW does not scale beyond one GPU. Get rid of all your 4850s, buy the CPU you intended and get a 460GTX 1GB/AMD 6800 series card and save yourself a bundle of cash and hassle. Just don't do the silly thing of buying two GPUs with the intention of having an SLI/Crossfire setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is a serious post. I was planning to buy the GTX 580 and upgrade the CPU with it in the coming months. I didn`t create my signature either. I do not only play WoW. You need to understand that I was bought the gfx cards also, too much hassle to get rid of them days after they were bought for me : ). It isn`t silly running a Crossfire set up. Most newer games support it now anyhow. I never bought the gfx cards I was given either so I`m not losing any money also. : ). Also, my mboard does not support an i5 or i7 processor which is why I can only obtain the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz right now. Upgrading the mboard and buying a i5 or i7 really WILL cause hassle and make it a waste of cash.

Aspiring paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Jaarh View Post
    Holy crap, 5.1? What were you cooling that with?
    akasa venom dual fan

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer View Post
    akasa venom dual fan
    You surely didn't overclock Phenom II X4 965 to 5.1GHz on air, atleast not stable. A lot of people are having difficulties reaching a stable 4.0GHz.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If he did it, he did it with a C3. My poor C2 can't get past 3.7 without going apeshit.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If he did it, he did it with a C3. My poor C2 can't get past 3.7 without going apeshit.
    He didn't do it.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.