Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinen View Post
    You surely didn't overclock Phenom II X4 965 to 5.1GHz on air, atleast not stable. A lot of people are having difficulties reaching a stable 4.0GHz.
    this is true. could be to 2 factors

the C2's didnt really like overclocking

the non BE could be overclocked but was terrible. could only hit about 4ghz as overclockersclub found out i think they got about 3.9 but it was stupid and not stable.
    hit anything over about 18.5x multiplyer on stock voltage and it would just not boot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead01753 View Post
    Hiya, I just installed a 4850 3-way Crossfire onto my PC couple days ago as I have been having trouble running WoW on Ultra with my single 4850. My problem being that WoW has not increased in fps at ALL using another 2 cards. Surely something is wrong here. I`m using 4gb DDR3 ram and an AMD Phenom Quad-Core processor running at 2.4Ghz.

Just very confused, this set up should be able to run WoW on Ultra.
    Whats your framerate anyway? If its 60, check your ingame settings, theres a option for a framerate limiter, else, tried disabling vsync? (synchronizes your FPS with your screen refresh rate)
    Last edited by mmoca363654f74; 2010-12-29 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    WoW does not support Crossfire.
    This statement has been directly refuted by the blues. WoW does support Crossfire (the blue that replied was using Crossfire himself), but WoW is not optimized for Crossfire/SLI.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    This statement has been directly refuted by the blues. WoW does support Crossfire (the blue that replied was using Crossfire himself), but WoW is not optimized for Crossfire/SLI.
    WoW doesn't support CrossFire/SLI. Some graphic drivers may allow CrossFire/SLI to work within WoW, but it's not actually supported by WoW. This means that multi-GPU "support" will vary from driver bundle to driver bundle and graphics card to graphics card. That's hardly WoW supporting multi-GPU setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    WoW doesn't support CrossFire/SLI. Some graphic drivers may allow CrossFire/SLI to work within WoW, but it's not actually supported by WoW. This means that multi-GPU "support" will vary from driver bundle to driver bundle and graphics card to graphics card. That's hardly WoW supporting multi-GPU setups.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1305770941

A Crossfire and a SLI comparison in WoW. Both gained significant boosts in FPS. Dual cards do have a positive impact on WoW. It was suggested several times across numerous threads that you would want to download the Catalyst Application Profiles for using DX11 with WoW.
    Last edited by Prentice; 2010-12-29 at 04:28 PM.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Deleted
    That thread you've posted is pretty meaningless. One of the posters claims a performance boost with a pair of 9800GTX using DX11. That card does not even support DX11.

There have been very little evidence from professional reviewers who have seen a significant boost with a multi GPU setup, unless you're running hardware which supports multiple screens, which ofcourse run very high resolutions... then perhaps there maybe some scaling in WoW, but thats more due to larger memory buffer advantages using a multi GFX setup than from any performance gains from running multiple GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    That thread you've posted is pretty meaningless.
    The thread I linked definitely does have a meaning. Regardless of what you think of the settings they chose to use, the thread and their results show a significant boost in FPS when using more than one card. As it pertains to this conversation and the statement made by Cilraaz, it is indeed very relevant. FPS gains by any means are a plus.

As for the DX11 settings that were used, feel free to compare the results from the SLI tests with DX11 and DX9.

9800 SLI
    Direct3D 11 Full Screen
    Average Single: 40.123 FPS
    Average Crossfire: Average: 74.240 FPS

Direct3D 9 Full Screen
    Average Single: 47.175 FPS
    Average: 56.776 FPS

Even if the cards can't support DX11, its likely that the DX11 instructions are better optimized even for use on DX9 cards.
    Last edited by Prentice; 2010-12-29 at 05:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1305770941

A Crossfire and a SLI comparison in WoW. Both gained significant boosts in FPS. Dual cards do have a positive impact on WoW. It was suggested several times across numerous threads that you would want to download the Catalyst Application Profiles for using DX11 with WoW.
    So one person's setup gained framerate by using a multi-GPU setup. I fail to see how that counters my point that WoW does not support multi-GPU setups, but rather that some graphic drivers allow multi-GPU to work with WoW. My point isn't that it can't work, but rather that it's not guaranteed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    So one person's setup gained framerate by using a multi-GPU setup. I fail to see how that counters my point that WoW does not support multi-GPU setups, but rather that some graphic drivers allow multi-GPU to work with WoW. My point isn't that it can't work, but rather that it's not guaranteed to work.
    The core of your statement can't be argued, but the generalization that it leads to is where people get confused. As a game, WoW doesn't support SLI/Crossfire. Yes, but then look at the different types of replies that this kind of general statement yields. People often think that dual card setups are useless or inhibitive when it comes to WoW. That is clearly not the case. With almost every dual/multi card setup, you can find a way to improve WoW performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    The core of your statement can't be argued, but the generalization that it leads to is where people get confused. As a game, WoW doesn't support SLI/Crossfire. Yes, but then look at the different types of replies that this kind of general statement yields. People often think that dual card setups are useless or inhibitive when it comes to WoW. That is clearly not the case. With almost every dual/multi card setup, you can find a way to improve WoW performance.
    For most setups that are using a mid-range card or better, there isn't much gain from a multi-GPU setup. A card like a 5770 or a GTX 460 isn't stressed by WoW. I'm easily over my monitor's refresh rate everywhere except an overly crowded Orgrimmar or raids, both of which are more CPU-bound at that point. I'm running 1920x1080, ultra (shadows on Good), 4xAA, and 16xAF for comparison purposes.

Frankly, you need two very poor GPUs to see a performance gain from a multi-GPU setup. At that point, you have to pray that your drivers have CrossFire/SLI support for WoW. The older the card, the more performance gain you'll see from the multi-GPU setup, but the lower the odds of driver support. Add to this the fact that where the extra GPU power will help is the one place you don't need more framerate, which is open world questing. Anywhere that you're typically seeing framerate drops (crowded cities and raids), you're bound by CPU power, not GPU.

Long story short, multi-GPU setups are still a waste of cash for the vast majority of people. If you already have a mutli-GPU setup for other games and your drivers support multi-GPU in WoW, then go for it (in full-screen mode, as windowed has issues, apparently). If you're thinking about getting a second GPU specifically for WoW, save your cash and spend it elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreefer View Post
    the 965 running at 5.1ghz stable is a BEAST of a cpu. best i ever owned.
    That's one nice imaginary CPU you have there. You should contact AMD and tell them you've done the impossible.

Deleted
    Guys, you don't even know howmuch FPS he currently have...Maybe he has the limiter on ?

Prentice man...don't try to argue or reason this point. I did in a seperate post and they are stuck on SLI/Xfire as being worthless.

I run a 5770 in crossfire with 1900x1200 res everything on highest setting including shadows and 8XAA 16XAF.

I COULD NOT do this on one card. My frame rate was horrible. With 2 in crossfire I can and it significantly boosed my framerate in crowded cities. I never go below 50FPS that I can see other than that occassional blurp we all get(be you using 1 card or two). Now I do admit to my resolution being high on 26inch monitor so maybe THAT is why I see some advantage as resolution DOES seem to matter.

That being said it looks like ATI is trying to support WOW with crossfire in same way shape or form:

From the 10.10 driver package which I think is out of date all ready(release late OC2010):
    - DX10/11
    - Stone Giant CrossFire update
    - Multiplayer Medal of Honor CrossFire update
    - CivV tweak CrossFire update
    - Hawx2 CrossFire update
    - F1 CrossFire update
    - World of Warcraft DX11 version CrossFire update

So let it go, they don't feel its worth it while some others do..

Dead horse.