Thread: Website issue

Website issue

I am attempting to go to a website that has this www.lsjdksd.cjb.net. The lsjdksd is not a website, just some random letters I made. I just wanted to show the CJB thing in there. When I attempt to go to a website with cjb, it wont load and tells me that the server is not found.

I tried this in IE and Firefox. I went into my firewalls and allowed the site, but it still blocks it.. Any help?

Edit: I went to CJB.net and that wont load either...
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-12-27 at 02:22 AM.

Works fine for me. Possibly being blocked by your ISP or firewall, as it's been used to host malicious shell accounts in the past - though the company itself certainly stamps down on these whenever it finds them.

Go to a command prompt and type this:
    Code:
    nslookup cjb.net
    It should return:
    Code:
    Name:    cjb.net
    Address:  216.194.70.4

If it returns anything else, paste the result here. Also, try visiting CJB.net directly at it's IP - http://216.194.70.4
    If the IP is being blocked, you can also try it's decimal notation: http://3636610564
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Check your internet security settings, .cjb.net domains are free and have been commonly known in the past to be used by amateur hackers/saboteurs to link to websites by using a shortened domain that may contain malware. Therefore, your internet security software may have blocked this site (and any others using the .cjb.net subdomains), so if you're 100% positive the website doesn't contain any such malware try and add a permission or remove the block for the cjb websites.
    original playboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Works fine for me. Possibly being blocked by your ISP or firewall, as it's been used to host malicious shell accounts in the past - though the company itself certainly stamps down on these whenever it finds them.

Go to a command prompt and type this:
    Code:
    nslookup cjb.net
    It should return:
    Code:
    Name:    cjb.net
    Address:  216.194.70.4

If it returns anything else, paste the result here. Also, try visiting CJB.net directly at it's IP - http://216.194.70.4
    If the IP is being blocked, you can also try it's decimal notation: http://3636610564
    This is what happened when I did what you suggested.

Server: Unknown
    Address: 192.168.1.1
    Name: CJB.net

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    This is what happened when I did what you suggested.

Server: Unknown
    Name: CJB.net
    Yeah, your firewall software is blocking it. (Presuming your computer is 192.168.1.1.. if that's your router, then it's possibly being blocked at your router because it's detecting malicious packets coming from the site. On the other hand, if it's the gateway computer on your network, it may be someone else's computer blocking it). You'll have to add an exception for the site you're trying to visit.

While possible, it's unlikely a virus has altered your HOSTS file, as you're able to visit here fine.

Just out of curiosity, in the command box, type:
    Code:
    ipconfig
    At the top will be a section similar to this:
    Code:
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.204        << your computer
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1          << your gateway
    Is 192.168.1.1 your computer, or your gateway? And if your gateway, do you know if your internet is connected through another computer, or directly to a router?
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 04:00 AM.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Check your internet security settings, .cjb.net domains are free and have been commonly known in the past to be used by amateur hackers/saboteurs to link to websites by using a shortened domain that may contain malware. Therefore, your internet security software may have blocked this site (and any others using the .cjb.net subdomains), so if you're 100% positive the website doesn't contain any such malware try and add a permission or remove the block for the cjb websites.
    How would I find out if it is blocked, and then how would I unblock it? The website I am trying to access I know is safe because it is a real life friends website.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 03:58 AM ----------

Yeah, your firewall software is blocking it. You'll have to add an exception for the site you're trying to visit.

While possible, it's unlikely a virus has altered your HOSTS file, as you're able to visit here fine.
    I ran all my virus programs to check my PC. AVAST, Spybot search and destroy, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes. They all came clean with no viruses. I'll add it to my firewall and see if it works.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 04:04 AM ----------

Yeah, your firewall software is blocking it. (Presuming your computer is 192.168.1.1.. if that's your router, then it's possibly being blocked at your router because it's detecting malicious packets coming from the site. On the other hand, if it's the gateway computer on your network, it may be someone else's computer blocking it). You'll have to add an exception for the site you're trying to visit.

Just out of curiosity, in the command box, type:
    Code:
    ipconfig
    At the top will be a section similar to this:
    Code:
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.204        << your computer
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1          << your gateway
    Is 192.168.1.1 your computer, or your gateway? And if your gateway, do you know if your internet is connected through another computer, or directly to a router?
    Ipv4 Address: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

My router is 192.168.1.1. I have my PS3, HAVA HD, and my PC all hard wired. I then have a Roku box and another PC hooked up wireless.

Edit: I'm confused where I need to add the website to an exception list.. I checked AVAST and I can't find anything in there to add a website. I tried the windows firewall but I can only manage to add programs..
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-12-27 at 04:09 AM.

How would I find out if it is blocked, and then how would I unblock it? The website I am trying to access I know is safe because it is a real life friends website.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 03:58 AM ----------

I ran all my virus programs to check my PC. AVAST, Spybot search and destroy, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes. They all came clean with no viruses. I'll add it to my firewall and see if it works.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 04:04 AM ----------

Ipv4 Address: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

My router is 192.168.1.1. I have my PS3, HAVA HD, and my PC all hard wired. I then have a Roku box and another PC hooked up wireless.
    Curioser and curioser! If your firewall was blocking it, it shouldn't be giving the resolving to your router, which speaks to a bigger issue. Either the router blocking it, or name server lookup not working, and simply falling back to the router as it's the gateway.

Bear with me, sorry for this taking so long - trying to diagnose for ya. In the command box, just type:
    Code:
    nslookup
    It'll return a "Default Server" and "Address". What are these? The fact that above it said Server Unknown points to a DNS issue.

If it still says unknown, or has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, then type into the box (NSLOOKUP will still be running, and have a little > prompt): root

And see what it returns. It should be something like this:
    Code:
    Default Server:  A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    Addresses:  2001:503:ba3e::2:30
    Finally, in that same box, type: server 63.251.62.33 (this command tells NSLOOKUP to search using a different name server)
    Then, type cjb.net and see what the result is.

Oh, and to get out of NSLOOKUP when you're done - hit CTRL-Z and press enter.

PS. Have you tried restarting your router? Sometimes they trip out, and as the router assigns the nameserver it detects (presuming your network settings are all auto-detect), restarting it could make it correctly retrieve and relay this info via DHCP. Really, this should have been the first question I asked, but get too excited in trouble-shooting mode. ^^ Also, restarting your PC, for that matter.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 04:21 AM.

Stick with Janaa as he will resolve the problem specifically, I'm just giving you possible workarounds that won't actually fix your issue.

However, does your friend's website have a domain linking to it that isn't the .cjb.net subdomain? Or is the cjb subdomain the only link?

What I mean is normally when you host a website, you have the webhost's subdomain (which will be something like www.mywebsitename.mywebhostlala.com) which is normally quite long, hence why people use a external domain/subdomain url (changing it to www.mywebsitename.lala.com, or whatever) which ends up shorter and are more aesthetically pleasing.

So in this case your firewall is blocking the .cjb.net domain but it might be unlikely that it is blocking the webhost subdomain (if .cjb.net isn't the hosting provider that is), so give that a try.
    Last edited by Blaze; 2010-12-27 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo grrrrrrrr
    original playboy.

Default Server: Unknown

Then when I entered root and this came up

Default Server: A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    Addresses: 2001 :502:ba3e::2:30

Then I entered the server 63.251.62.33 and this came up

DNS request timed out.
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    Defualt server: [63.251.62.33]
    Address: 63.251.62.33

Then I entered cjb.net again and this is what came up

Server: [63.251.62.33]
    Address: 63.251.62.33

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: cjb.net
    Address: 216.194.70.4

No, I have not reset my router. Should be as simple as unplugging it for a few seconds, right?

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 04:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Stick with Janaa as he will resolve the problem specifically, I'm just giving you possible workarounds that won't actually fix your issue.

However, does your friend's website have a domain linking to it that isn't the .cjb.net subdomain? Or is the cjb subdomain the only link?

What I mean is normally when you host a website, you have the webhost's subdomain (which will be something like www.mywebsitename.mywebhostlala.com) which is normally quite long, hence why people use a external domain/subdomain url (changing it to www.mywebsitename.lala.com, or whatever) which ends up shorter and are more aesthetically pleasing.

So in this case your firewall is blocking the .cjb.net domain but it might be unlikely that it is blocking the webhost subdomain (if .cjb.net isn't the hosting provider that is), so give that a try.
    I don't fully understand this question. Sorry. =/
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-12-27 at 04:33 AM.

No, I have not reset my router. Should be as simple as unplugging it for a few seconds, right?
    Okay, the fact your not even receiving a name server from your router suggests it is an accidental issue rather than anything malicious going on. The fact that you're able to visit this site is likely only because you've visited it recently and it's in your broswers/system cache. Nothing is blocking you from doing lookups using another DNS server.

Definitely, reset the router - leave it off for a good 30 seconds, then turn it back on. I'd highly recommend also then restarting your computer, after restarting the router. (I could tell you how to restart the network card itself, but this would take way too long.. just restart the whole computer! ) Although, feel free to check the site after restarting the router only (when all the lights are back on).

When the computer is back up, check the site again. I'll feel silly if a router restart fixes it, because as above - it should've been the first thing I suggested when we found out DNS lookups weren't working.

--------------

Also - what Blaze was saying was - as CJB is mostly used as a redirecter, do you know the original website address rather than the cjb.net address?

For example, I could have a website: http://www.myisp.com/~users/websites...ges/index.html
    That would look silly and unprofessional, so instead I'd get a CJB address: www.mywebsite.cjb.net
    Much better! But, the original website is still reachable at it's original address. Thus, do you know what the original address is, and can you visit that site?
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 04:39 AM.

Okay, I will unplug my router for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and then reset my computer. I'll let you know the results in a couple of minutes.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 04:41 AM ----------

Edit: After I unplugged the router for 30 seconds, and then restarted my PC. I checked the website again and I am still getting the same error. "Server not found" Oh, no I don't know what the original URL was.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-12-27 at 04:41 AM.

Okay, what's your ISP? Which company/region? (And while you're at it, it'll save me time later - what version of Windows are you using?)
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 04:45 AM.

Florida and it is called Bright House Networks. Road Runner to be exact.

Edit: And I called my friend for the original URL and I put it in my browser and the page loaded!
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-12-27 at 04:47 AM.

Florida and it is called Bright House Networks. Road Runner to be exact.

Edit: And I called my friend for the original URL and I put it in my browser and the page loaded!
    That's good - as it appears your ISP is having DNS issues at present.

Rather, their upstream provider - Road Runner. I've just thrown a dozen DNS requests at a couple of their servers, and had all fail. Simply wait, and the cjb.net address should work as well.

EDIT:
    If it's an ongoing problem, I'd recommend contacting your ISP. Basically, your router isn't getting told which nameserver to use when it connects to your ISP. Thus, your computer also doesn't know which nameserver to use, and so is just checking your gateway (which is your router, and has no idea which to use unless it in turn is told).

You can force your internet to use specific name servers, such as that open one I listed above (63.251.62.33) if you so desire, but really - at this stage either the ISP isn't sending nameservers to your router, or your router is faulty. If "unknown" websites still aren't working in a couple of days, follow it up with your ISP and possibly look at getting your router replaced. (Also, restart the router in a couple of days to see if it fetches new DNS information correctly when the ISP issues are resolved).

If you need assistance on telling your computer to use a specific name server (which would resolve this issue), send me a PM and I'll look at it in a day or so.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-27 at 04:56 AM.

Thank you very much for the help. =D I'll be sure to give my ISP provider a call in a few days if the cjb.net still shows up as unknown