Prioritizing stats for frost PvP and frost PvE

It's reached a point where I've obtained various similar gear and can't decide which to equip. Most of the gear is equivalent in base stats but differs in bonus stats. So, for example, I have pants that are identical, only one has 162 crit and 202 haste while the other has 172 crit and 192 mastery. How should decisions like this be made? Does it depend upon the caps of stats? Or is there a priority here?

Could someone explain to me the priorities for frost PvP and PvE?

With the way shatter not works, I'm sure crit will be one of our most valued stats pvp wise until we reach a decent crit chance.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Anyone have any info on PvE?

15+ Year Old Account
    The giant sticky at the top of the page.
    BfA Beta Time

For frost Haste= Your Best friend pvp wise anyways, your gonna need to be able to cast a frostbolt as fast as possible, mastery is prolly the second thing your gonna want since frozen targets are gonna be your main targets . Pve wise im not sure but i can tell you frost mastery for pve = useless, avoid it.

Crit is by far the best rating stat outside hit since more than half your dps is instant and has triple the benefit from shatter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrok View Post
    Crit is by far the best rating stat outside hit since more than half your dps is instant and has triple the benefit from shatter.
    You know haste reduces the GCD and that Frostbolt still makes up ~40%+ of a Frost Mages overall damage right?
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainlust View Post
    For frost Haste= Your Best friend pvp wise anyways, your gonna need to be able to cast a frostbolt as fast as possible, mastery is prolly the second thing your gonna want since frozen targets are gonna be your main targets . Pve wise im not sure but i can tell you frost mastery for pve = useless, avoid it.
    This is not true at all. For PvP frost you want 33% crit first, then spell pen cap and them mastery all the way. Haste might me okish later on with larger gear budgets but now, you shouldn't have any of it on PvP gear

---------- Post added 2010-12-29 at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    You know haste reduces the GCD and that Frostbolt still makes up ~40%+ of a Frost Mages overall damage right?
    This is also very far from the truth.. frostbolt is only 20-30% for PvE and 0-10%? for PvP.. haste at the moment is bad for frost and you should get caps (hit, crit) first, then focus on mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    This is not true at all. For PvP frost you want 33% crit first, then spell pen cap and them mastery all the way. Haste might me okish later on with larger gear budgets but now, you shouldn't have any of it on PvP gear

---------- Post added 2010-12-29 at 12:39 AM ----------

This is also very far from the truth.. frostbolt is only 20-30% for PvE and 0-10%? for PvP.. haste at the moment is bad for frost and you should get caps (hit, crit) first, then focus on mastery.
    Care to link some proof?
    What Swizzle said sounds pretty persuasive to me, all you've done is said "no wrong" without any reasoning.

For PvE: Hit Cap > Crit to Shatter Cap > Mastery > Haste (more Frostbolts = more FoF procs) > extra Crit.

For PvP: Hit Cap + Spell Pen Cap > Crit to Shatter Cap > Mastery > Haste > extra Crit.

There is a sticky that lists useful guides posted on our forums, be sure to check it out.