Prot warrior DPS?

So this is a rather odd question, but someone in a heroic commented on the fact that I was around 4500 DPS after a boss kill. They mentioned it was insanely low.

I personally feel that it doesn't matter as long as I have no problems holding aggro (aside from them random mage whose deep freeze crits for some insane amount,) but does it matter?

What kind of DPS do the other warrior tanks pull?

For what it's worth, the 3 DPS in the group were over 12k and were fairly well geared. My average item level is 344, hit and expertise capped, 41% block, 12% block & parry.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...blave/advanced (It's my offspec gear at the moment, I'll update it in a bit.)

Any who... Thanks for the advice.

Blave

read elitist jerks.

prot pally i've averaged to 7-8k boss tanking depending on the boss. i'm 349 i level.
    other guild tank is a warrior and in like 335ish iLevel he was doing 5.5 at least on tol barad boss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garrotte View Post
    expertise capped
    I do not believe you.

^^ perhaps he means expertise capped from behind. aka soft expertise cap for prot warriors, hard cap for melee dps.

At any rate, how much damage you do is entirely dependent on your vengeance stacks. Those guys thought you were doing low dps probably because they ahd seen tanks doing 10k+ with a lot of vengeance stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte View Post
    I do not believe you.
    Correct; expertise from behind, not the hard cap. lol

26 is soft cap, 55 is hard.
    8% hit.

my pally prot numbers are being around 22 expertise and 5ish hit.
    threat / dps is important but if i'm holding agro vs 16-18k dps then i'm going to keep my avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by citn View Post
    26 is soft cap, 55 is hard.
    8% hit.

my pally prot numbers are being around 22 expertise and 5ish hit.
    threat / dps is important but if i'm holding agro vs 16-18k dps then i'm going to keep my avoidance.
    That was the answer I was secretly hoping for. lol

DPS isnt really something you should be worrying about, but most prot warriors do around 7-8k on single target and 11-12k over the entire instance. You don't have to use dps gear or anything to do this, just using the correct skills is enough.

If the tank can hold aggro, take little dmg, and knows when to pop their CDs I Could give 2cps about their DPS. IMO tank DPS should be nerfed across the board anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MatsT View Post
    DPS isnt really something you should be worrying about, but most prot warriors do around 7-8k on single target and 11-12k over the entire instance. You don't have to use dps gear or anything to do this, just using the correct skills is enough.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out how I could do 7-8k dps on a single target.

What is your rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by garrotte View Post
    For the life of me, I can't figure out how I could do 7-8k dps on a single target.

What is your rotation?
    Quote Originally Posted by citn View Post
    read elitist jerks.

read the prot warrior elitist jerk forum post. it will answer all of your questions ever.

I had the dumbest problem I can imagine.

My heroic strike keybind was a macro that I used from the pre-4.0 days when heroic strike and cleave were on the swing timer. For whatever reason, my "heroic strike" macro was actually cleave.

This accounts for 5-10k additional single target damage every 3 seconds. lol

Thanks for the help, everyone.