Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rocket boots + raid boss = not happy fun times

So last night, I was doing the Conclave of Wind in 10 man and i happen to use my rocket boots to try and get to a portal quicker...well instead of having happy fun time fastness, I instead got a nice rocket propelled boost to the ceiling. Since my parachute was down (I was using it on the wind guy when he put me up in the air) I died on impact with the floor. I did not come here to QQ but to raise a point, if Blizzard is trying to move towards a game with less RNG, why did they allow a profession to have a chance to ultimately wipe your raid? Imagine popping lifeblood and having a plant come up out of the ground and eat you, this is not happy fun times. Although it is funny to me now, it was extremely frustrating last night.

Deleted
    I agree, it's ridicilous. Nitro boots is an awesome raid utility, but it fails waaay to much now. In WotLK I NEVER wiped my raid group by using Nitro boots.

Even though you say you didn't come here to QQ, that's exactly what you're doing. You chose to be an Engineer... It's widely known that Engineering has some type of issues with the tinkers... It's kinda part of the fun. If you don't like it then roll another Profession. You won't have to worry about popping into the air anymore. :P

Deleted
    "Nothing says Engineering like a 20% failure rate"

dont do that then? they dont want to move away from RNG, because it become predictable, which isnt fun. id rather have the RNG and not know whats going to happen next then know whats gonna happen next.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

you wiped because you used an ability when it wasn't absolutely necessary.

You know engi has built in probability failures....

Come on, this doesnt warrant a new topic.

You died and caused a wipe, release and rebuff.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

Is it just me or is this like, the fifth thread in the past week on the exact same topic? A fairly obscure one to be so popular, at that. Hm.

But anywho, it's entirely likely they have an increased failure rate above level 80. Soooo. Yeeeeeeeah. lrn2run.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    Even though you say you didn't come here to QQ, that's exactly what you're doing. You chose to be an Engineer... It's widely known that Engineering has some type of issues with the tinkers... It's kinda part of the fun. If you don't like it then roll another Profession. You won't have to worry about popping into the air anymore. :P
    I am not QQ'ing just bringing the point up that Blizzard has stated they would like to move away from RNG type abilities yet they allow this problem to exist. To the poster stating "I chose to be an engineer" while yes this is true, this is like saying you "chose to be a disc priest" (or whatever class is underpowered at the moment) it is your fault you chose to roll that class and that class should not be fixed.

Alienganja: How do you know it was not necessary? It could have meant the difference between healing a tank in time or not, please do not post assumptions about the necessity of this instance of using the rocket boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromance42 View Post
    I am not QQ'ing just bringing the point up that Blizzard has stated they would like to move away from RNG type abilities yet they allow this problem to exist. To the poster stating "I chose to be an engineer" while yes this is true, this is like saying you "chose to be a disc priest" (or whatever class is underpowered at the moment) it is your fault you chose to roll that class and that class should not be fixed.
    That's not really a valid argument seeing as how you're comparing two totally different things. Engineering is supposed to have a probability of failing. All Classes HAVE to be balanced. So yes, the argument "you chose to be an Engineer" is completely valid.

What exactly did you expect when trying to use a Northrend Tinker when raiding in Cataclysm? The lower quality of something you use on a higher leveled item makes it fail more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post

What exactly did you expect when trying to use a Northrend Tinker when raiding in Cataclysm? The lower quality of something you use on a higher leveled item makes it fail more.
    Yea, which is why Hyper Speed Acceleraters which is the best enchant for melee still and the parachute cloak fails at 85.

/rolls eyes

Alienganja: How do you know it was not necessary? It could have meant the difference between healing a tank in time or not, please do not post assumptions about the necessity of this instance of using the rocket boots.
    You either

A: Used an ability that was not neccessary
    or
    B: Already failed, and was using an ability that gave you a chance to recover from your 100% failure.

Engineering has always had failure as one of it's built in structures.. It's always said it in the description... It's the only tradeskill that modifies actual gameplay instead of being just stat boosts, and engineers complained enough, that they got the stat boosts as well.

So last night, I was doing the Conclave of Wind in 10 man and i happen to use my rocket boots to try and get to a portal quicker...
    Your own words.

Secondly as everyone has pointed out, Blizzard has moved away from a lot of the RNG style boss and dungeon mechanics.

However, we're not picking on you...but you decided to use something (that isn't necessary and is a secondary mechanic) that is sub par for 85 and has a chance of RNG.

It seems as if you don't understand Blizzard has moved away from RNG...but you decided to strap RNG to your boots and spin the dice.

It happens.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

10+ Year Old Account

yes because comparing a proffession that is renowned for RNG, is the exact same thing as class mechanics.
    engineer = RNG

though i am glad you brought this to our attention, it is truely valid advice

to all the raid leaders out there, if someone wipes your raid because of an obvious mistake please dont kick them, just refer them to this thread so they know that rocket boots can indeed fail.

they might not of known you shouldn't use rocket boots with parachute on cd.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienganja View Post
    you wiped because you used an ability when it wasn't absolutely necessary.

You know engi has built in probability failures....

Come on, this doesnt warrant a new topic.

You died and caused a wipe, release and rebuff.
    Your gems dont randomly explode, killing you and wiping the raid.
    Your Tailoring chest dont suddenly backfire and burn causing you to take 120% of your health over 10 seconds.
    Your Enchants dont randomly taunt everything within 50 yards.
    You Dont pick a herb node only to find out it was poison ivy in disguise giving you a 90% speed slow for 10 seconds.
    You dont mine a node only to find out it was actually a goblin bomb, blasting your 500 ft into the air and killing you.
    You dont fish out a shark that eats your face untill you die.
    You dont cook bad food and get food poisoning.
    You dont unearth cursed archealogy fragments that cause ghosts to appear and kill you
    You dont stab yourself in the hand with your quill if you are a scribe.

Why should Engineering (The only proffesion that makes very little money compared to the mats required) also be the only one to malfunction so often that its basically useless in a raid environment.

engineering boots were over powered in wotlk. there is no arguing this point. engineering has always come with inherent risks(the item in question having a failure proc). in wotlk they removed this failure chance.

the issue you are taking offense with is just blizzard balancing engineering tinkers. theres nothing more to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienganja View Post
    Your own words.

Secondly as everyone has pointed out, Blizzard has moved away from a lot of the RNG style boss and dungeon mechanics.
    Dude, RNG dictates the entire fight of the first raid boss most guilds attempt in Cataclysm. Halfus Wrymbraker? Different Drakes with different mechanics every week? Ever hear of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think of engineering as my "oops, I fucked up" fixer. It is for those times I just wasn't paying attention or something. Not for the common movement or the like. As such, I somewhat like the chance of it failing/backfiring.

Basically, if you NEED rocket boost often, you are doing it wrong. If you fail and die, you were going to die anyways or shouldn't have used it.

I'm pretty certain they prevented the rocketboots and other engineering items from failing in raid combat in wotlk (thus why you dont recall them failing much), for the purposes of not having a raid wipe due to engineering rng.

With that in mind, then either it's failure is a bug or related to the fact that it's an enchant designed for lvl 80 and not 85. That is, chance to occur might push above the 0% in raid combat for every level above teh enchant level the player is to encourage people to use up to date enchants.

(Edit: or of course they had a change in policy regarding the issue)

OP used rocket boots knowing that he'd already used the only thing that could save him from a malfunction.

You were stupid and died for it. You are not a good player. You whine about it. You expect Blizzard to hear your whining on a 3rd-party forum because you got banned from the main forums?

1. Don't use something that has a chance to wipe the raid. Other players don't have to use Rocket Boots to get to the portals. You do you need to?
    2. Reroll different profession.
    3. Save the parachute - not everyone has one, why do you need to pop it in another phase?

I really truly don't see the problem here - or rather, I see the problem, and it's in the mind of the player who wants to be catered to and baby'd so he can do what he wants when he wants and get his phat epixs more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanisbad View Post
    engineering boots were over powered in wotlk. there is no arguing this point. engineering has always come with inherent risks(the item in question having a failure proc). in wotlk they removed this failure chance.

the issue you are taking offense with is just blizzard balancing engineering tinkers. theres nothing more to be said.
    They failed in Wrath, just not in heroics/raids, which is how it should be now.

---------- Post added 2010-12-27 at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    OP used rocket boots knowing that he'd already used the only thing that could save him from a malfunction.

You were stupid and died for it. You are not a good player. You whine about it. You expect Blizzard to hear your whining on a 3rd-party forum because you got banned from the main forums?

1. Don't use something that has a chance to wipe the raid. Other players don't have to use Rocket Boots to get to the portals. You do you need to?
    2. Reroll different profession.
    3. Save the parachute - not everyone has one, why do you need to pop it in another phase?

I really truly don't see the problem here - or rather, I see the problem, and it's in the mind of the player who wants to be catered to and baby'd so he can do what he wants when he wants and get his phat epixs more easily.
    Wow, you mad?

Most people use rocket boots to get out of fire/voidzones faster so they can continue to dps from safety.
    They dont go "LOL CAUSE I HAS ROCKT BUUTS I CAN TAKE DMAGE FIRST THEN BOOTS TO SAFTEY LOLOLOLOL SILLEH OTHTER CLASSES, I BEET YOOO"
    Like you seem to think.
    Last edited by pickley; 2010-12-27 at 09:36 PM.