Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAPieceOfMeat View Post
    Quick question about mastery. How does the mechanic of mastery procs work with empowered shadow? Does the mastery buff the current one or just the ones gained after the proc?
    You need to rebuff Empowered Shadow after getting a mastery proc. This can be a hindrance, but also can be used to your advantage by Mind Blasting at the end of the mastery proc duration to get an additional 15s of improved mastery time.
    {[( )]}

So, I could be completely wrong, but I thought before that my Empowered Shadows was around 11%. Now when I mind blast, it is sitting at 24%. When I put on my holy gear with more mastery (+9.somthing mastery) it goes up to 31%. In my shadow gear I have +1.9 mastery.

Could be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm curiious about the section on haste plateaus. My understanding of the dot mechanics is that haste reduces the duration of the spell, effectively "moving the ticks closer together". As the duration is reducing this leads to recasting the spell more often and therefore higher mana costs at higher haste levels. Blizzards solution was that once the spell duration drops below a certain point an additional dot tick is added onto the end, once more increasing dot duration and reducing mana costs.

As the dot ticks are all "equally spaced" along the duration of the spell, adding a tick - whilst certainly increasing DPET - does not affect DPS at all. sure there may be advantages if you ever dot something and just let it drop off (BG's perhaps, maybe multidotting) but for single target PVE "haste plateaus" are nothing more than mana conservation mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by rimmer View Post
    My understanding of the dot mechanics is that haste reduces the duration of the spell, effectively "moving the ticks closer together". As the duration is reducing this leads to recasting the spell more often and therefore higher mana costs at higher haste levels.
    They changed this a bit ago. Now the duration of the dot stays the same and the time between ticks shortens. At each plateau you gain an extra tick on your dot.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The spell's duration does decrease with additional Haste. This effect will push DOT ticks closer together until it reaches one of these plateaus. The gain of Haste creates a DPS increase as our spells tick faster and you can now fit more ticks in a shorter period if time.

Once reaching the Haste level reaches the numbers in the guide, the spell goes back to it's original duration and gains an additional tick. The effect of this not a game breaking mechanic.

The gain you receive from resetting a DOTS's duration is that it opens up a couple potential GCDs by casting the DOT less over the same fight length. This is where the supposed added benefit from reaching a Haste plateau is gained. The adding of the tick does little as the ticks will still be occurring ever shorter of each other.

The actual importance of reaching these Haste levels is not of a huge concern to playing a Shadow Priest. However, they do have an impact on certain Warlock specs though.*

The reason the numbers are provided as a reference so people know where extra ticks occur and hopefully limit the need for repeated threads asking the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Once reaching the Haste level reaches the numbers in the guide, the spell goes back to it's original duration and gains an additional tick.
    The spell actually goes back to the original duration plus half a GCD.
    {[( )]}

Silly question, but once we obtain 1 second GCD, how much impact does that have on Haste's value? I ask because im not very well geared, but with Dark Intent im inching in on that threshold and I expect that will have an impact in some way. Surely Haste will still be the better stat, but will it by sooo much?

I'm rather skeptical that you can achieve 50% haste from standard raid buffs... of course you might approach that from trinket procs etc but you would need the following haste rating from gear to achieve it.

Mind Quickening 5%
    Darkness 3%

haste percentage from rating on gear = 1.5 / 1.03 * 1.05
    = 1.387 or 38.7%

128.057 haste rating = 1%

38.7 * 128.057 = 4955.8059

Therefore you would need to hit 4956 haste rating to hit the GCD hard cap. I think I have about 2200 haste rating and the trinket procs aren't higher than 2K rating (from memory). So you'd need to have nearly 3K haste rating... now perhaps that is possible (i'm not heroic geared) but I'm probably right in saying you're not that geared.

Perhaps you're a goblin in which case the haste rating figure changes to 4832.

Of course under BL you hit it easily, but you should pretty much ignore the GCD hard cap in this scenario. BL will still scale your DoTs and MF handsomely.

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 10:51 AM ----------

I do have another question... I'd like to run some simcraft tests myself, however I can only find a 4.0.3 build to download. Can someone direct me to simcrafts 4.0.6 build? I'm always skeptical of stat weights until I investigate them myself.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a quick aside, you would need 4437 Haste if you had Dark Intent as well to hit the GCD cap outside of Heroism.

The latest version of simulation craft on the website is currently up-to-date. Simulation Craft has been up-to-date with PTR data for quite a while now if you used the PTR setting in the globals tab. However, now PTR and Live are the same setting in the current build.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    As a quick aside, you would need 4437 Haste if you had Dark Intent as well to hit the GCD cap outside of Heroism.

The latest version of simulation craft on the website is currently up-to-date. Simulation Craft has been up-to-date with PTR data for quite a while now if you used the PTR setting in the globals tab. However, now PTR and Live are the same setting in the current build.
    Good point, forgot about DI.

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 11:52 AM ----------

Can you provide a link, maybe I'm downloading from the wrong area? Coz it definitely says the build is 4.0.3.

Cancel that request... i swear I looked yesterday and 4.0.3 was only avail, it has 4.0.6 now... thank you.
    Last edited by Worshaka; 2011-02-10 at 02:54 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 4.0.6 release came out today. The old 4.0.3 release still had the new values as part of the PTR setting. So if there is a new PTR out sometime soon, they usually keep it up-to-date with PTR versions in the same release as the most recent live copy.

Is it 50% haste? Because a 1.5 second GCD doesnt need to be sped up by 50% to become 1 second. In fact, isnt that only a 33.33% increase? I may be really bad at math here...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    1.5 second cast / necessary Haste = 1 second cast
    1.5 / 50% Haste = ?
    1.5 / 1.5 = 1 second cast
    50% Haste requires for GCD cap

1.5/1.03 Darkness/1.05 Mind Quickening = 38.97% Haste needed without Haste buffs (ie. Haste Rating)
    38.97*128.05701 = 4990 Haste Rating needed for GCD cap.

Shadow Priest of <YARG> of Rexxar. #74 US
    www.yetanotherraidingguild.com

Hi New. I wanna know your opinion about this. From what i saw majority of Shadow Priest population is using SW:P as opener in 99% of encounters and you also claimed that having SW:P on target as first best option is because of possible Shadow Orb gain. My thoughts are kinda different then this. I haven't met the encounter other then Nefarian (jumping pull) where i don't wanna use VT as opener. If i am correct 99.9% of world raiding guilds have their Raid Leaders/Tanks counting down from 3 till pull either via Raid Warning or Ventrilo. Casting VT at 1 second before pull (let's say 1.5/include server lag/vent lag) is more beneficial then opening with SW:P and then wasting 1-1.5 sec cast on VT during encounter fight. On this note even if you are to early on VT opening and get initial aggro i am quite sure that you will have at least one Hunter in raid that is MDing boss to tank regardless the situation.

So, my question is, what is your thoughts on this because as i said i will never find a reason to use SW:P rather then VT as opening spell on any encounter except Nefarian? Thanks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hadn't looked over the priorities section in a little while so I went back and updated it. Originally, I had written it that way with certain assumptions in mind. However, you are correct in that usually you can start close enough to the boss to land a Vampiric Touch on the pull then use your instants to get into position. I have changed the priorities section to reflect this and I thank you for bringing it up.

How do yall feel about the 25% to 15% shadow damage nerf?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHay View Post
    Must we? There are half a dozen threads running already without clogging up this one with that. Go read the last few pages of "State of Shadow" which is more appropriate in any case.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHay View Post
    Moana is correct that discussing it in detail would be better suited for the threads already happening here on MMO-Chapmion. However, I'll share some information here. Napkin math puts it around a 8% DPS loss. Simulation craft has it coming out around a 4.5% DPS loss.

I have been running a lot of numbers with the latest version of SimC (406-3) that finally fixed a lot of bugs with shadow priests. There are a lot of really interesting results - one of the largest being that getting hit-capped once again looks to be the way to go, especially on fights with target switching or adds. Even on a single-target patchwerk style fight we do not lose any damage by being hit-capped.

I'm compiling a lot of numbers from numerous tests I've done and will post the results for folks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I haven't updated the scale factors with 406-3 yet, but I'll be sure to do that soon. The value of Hit is indeed closer to other scale factors than in previous releases of the program.