Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people hate it when people survive wipes?

I've been leveling a hunter recently, and whenever I'm in a LFD group that's about to face an inevitable wipe, I get a safe distance away and use Feign Death, then teleport out of the dungeon and back in to guarantee my survival, but a lot of the time someone in the group calls me out on it, saying it's not fair that I didn't die. I've seen rogues get the same thing for Vanishing and Mages for using Invisible. I don't see why that gets people mad though. If you die, you pay a repair bill, whether or not I die has no influence on how high that repair bill is.

I can see how in a Raid this might be a problem, causing me to possibly have the Sated Debuff during a part where Bloodlust would be useful, but so far this has only been in simple 5-man normals...so what's the problem?

Cuz real men die and take the repair bill.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because OMG HOW DARE YOU NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR REPAIRS WHILE I DO.

Or something to that effect. Jealousy, methinks.

Sated, Time warp debuff thing.
    Those we prob the most important things i can think of.
    other then that i cant find a reason really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it only costs like 2g to die. Hell, I choose to pop mirror images and time warp just to see if I can solo that last 5% of a boss. It's a lot more fun when I pull it off and hear that one guy that always goes "fucking OP mages."
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    Cuz real men die and take the repair bill.
    and wise men avoid avoidable expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

1) Sated. If this does not apply, then

2) Jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Tech11 View Post
    Sated, Time warp debuff thing.
    Those we prob the most important things i can think of.
    other then that i cant find a reason really.
    personal lose
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    and wise men avoid avoidable expenses.
    well said.

it's context. if it's a definate wipe then i have no problems with using abilities to survive, especially if there's some jumper cable action after. but the nelf healer who melds at the start of the pull just because an extra pack got pulled, that's annoying
    somebody call for d doctor?

I don't care if hunters/mages/rogues survive after a wipe is called. What pisses me off is when they chicken shit out of a fight at the first sign of trouble. If there is even the slightest chance that the fight could still be won, don't feign, invis, whatever. Stand and fight. Few things make me more angry in game than when we wipe to a boss with less than 100k health left and one of the dps had checked out early for whatever reason.
    85 | 80 | 80 | 80 | 73

Yes I'm a girl. No I don't want to cyber.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I always wait until I know it's going to be a wipe, which usually means I'm the only one left alive, being chased by more mobs than I can handle

it's more like 6-10g

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Because it only costs like 2g to die. Hell, I choose to pop mirror images and time warp just to see if I can solo that last 5% of a boss. It's a lot more fun when I pull it off and hear that one guy that always goes "fucking OP mages."
    Might I suggest popping time warp before the rest of your group is dead and the boss is at 5% if he is not on farm status?

I mean sure you look cooler sometimes this way but I'd have to imagine runs would go a lot more smoothly. Is like popping lust when a boss enrages. The times you pull it off will be EPIC but it... it just isn't efficient is all. >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    The only logical reason that surviving a fight could get you grief is that it tells the other players in your group that you didn't try as hard as they did. You gave up and left to save your own skin. Sure its just a couple gold to repair, but when people are depending on you to play your part and you don't, even if its an obvious wipe, it still tells them you suck.

Also, everyone gets jealous :P

Sometimes it delays a wipe and stops people who did die re entering the instance which disrupts the raid.

It's so annoying when mages run all the way to the start of the instance, and pull the mobs with them. Then i zone in, and the mobs attack me. ...wtf.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well if they end up popping back up and restarting the encounter it can be a pain. Otherwise I don't see how it could bother people.. I've never seen anyone get upset because another person survived a wipe.

Deleted
    Most people that want to avoid dying on a wipe aren't hunters however. They'll try running to the damn dungeon entrence, potentially killing people over and over again while doing so.

That I hate.

I have never heard of someone getting mad because you survived a wipe.

What DOES piss me off, though, are people who run from inevitable wipes instead of just eating the death so we can all run back in and get started faster.