Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned previously Fear does not affect Undead of any type. Also, a lot of dragonkin and some demons are immune (specifically the larger ones that you'd like to CC).

Also, the focus macro was touched on, but not explained in detail.
    Type "/focus" on your CC target (or make another macro do it) and then a macro containing the following:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Banish
    /stopcasting
    /cast [target=focus,harm,nodead][] Banish
    replacing "Banish" with the spell you need to cast.

As you've mentioned Earth Elemental, you can also use Stoneclaw totem (to stun persuing or loose mobs), and Earthbind Totem (with glyph) to aoe Root (with the same restrictions as Druid's Root).

Survival hunters with full trap talents have a 78 second freezing trap on a 24 second cooldown. It is theoretically possible to have three traps up at once, though not recommended as that leaves only 6 seconds of slack time in a rotation. I find it works well to have a hunter trap another CC target to free up the other group members for concentration of DPS/healing and letting the hunter proc Lock and Load. But then, that's advanced CC theorycrafting and not exactly what this guide was intended for. :P

My favourite is to have a priest walk a mind controlled mob over a trap and cancel out of MC.
    Warriors get angry, rogues get tired and hunters get... ADD?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJrapter View Post
    Turn evil and Psychic scream [unglyphed] are not forms of CC, due to mobs running around potentially pulling stuff.
    I don't agree with that. Halls of Reflection is a great example for Turn Evil being a great CC. If you are willing to pull mobs back in order to allow roots to CC a caster, than in most cases you won't have problems with CC through Turn Evil - except the problem of finding a lot of undead/demons in this expansion so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    Any non-affliction lock with a fel-pup out is a bad player.
    Don't include the felhound silence unless you specify it as affliction-only.
    I'm not going to sacrifice my imps killer dps and empowered imp procs + demon soul buff for a 45 second c/d silence and a crappy dps pet for my spec. Ever.
    Any player that is not willing to sacrifice some dps if needed is a bad player.
    There are situations where an extra interupt (especially this very fast interupt) is far more valuable than some dps. Same goes for succubus CC btw.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your interruptions for Warriors doesn't take into account Protection Warriors at all.

Good beginner Guide.

Though when I first clicked it, I must admit I was hoping this had PvP CC durations, diminishing returns, what forms of CC share diminishing returns with which other CC's etc. This proved not to be the case, as stated in first sentence. Still. Great Job.

Deleted
    Agreed with the dude above. This is a rather informative guide for beginners, but I was hoping for more...just more really. :]

There is also the add Magic Marker, It will learn and remember youre CC Marks as you use them. Still learning the ins and outs of it, but can be a problem when when you have others try and CC for you, and when you put the wrong mark on a target and change it a few times. takes some getting used to, but once you use it enough becomes a real time saver for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solar Beam is both an interrupt and a silence. (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=78675/solar-beam)

It's also the absolute best silence in the game in PvE (and possible PvP) bar-none. On trash packs with multiple casters, it's devastating as it covers a large area.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

15+ Year Old Account
    this can include snares, stuns, slows and abilities that, for the most part, remove an enemy from being effectively in combat
    Any ability that prevents a mob from doing what it is supposed to do is a form of crowd control. Just because the guide didn't cover everything (and why should it, right?) doesn't mean that skills which aren't used on a pull are not cc*. They are; just a different form.

*Intimidating Shout would never be used on a pull. Imagine the mayhem.

When you tell a rogue to make sure they use their CC, you aren't asking them to just sap and forget about it. You want them to kick to interrupt spellcasting (an interrupt CC), blind an add if it isn't dotted (a 10 second in-combat CC), and even gouge if it is ever applicable (an interrupt, save-the-healer, multi-situation backup CC). Heck, even putting crippling poison up onto an enemy is a minor form of crowd control - because it is a form of being able to better control packs of mobs - ie. crowds.

Real, or strong CC is a very controlled skill that some classes have which will give the party (hopefully) enough time to kill other mobs that are not out of action. This is the crowd control we think of immediately and which is listed in the chart (except Intimidating Shout).

According to the logic that Intimidating Shout and Hungering Cold are CC skills - as weak a form of CC as they are - so too are Psychic Scream, Blind and Cyclone; to name a few.

It was a good, simple guide and doesn't need to have other things added or mentioned - because people should know what they are doing, and because real CC skills are the ones mentioned in the chart. But dismissing other skills that actually control things in a fight from being forms of CC is illogical according to the inherent definition of it as a whole.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    Elementals cannot be sleeped by Wyvern Sting.
    Yes they can, at least in Vortex Pennical they can.

Edit: Next time I get SFK for a random I'll do some testing. Now that I think of it "ghost" undead might be able to be slept but "scourge" undead (zombie looking) are for sure immune to it.
    Last edited by Pylgrimz; 2011-01-09 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really nice guide,gz.
    Rilanciownz-Outland Eu
    Desertwolf-Sylvanas Eu

Quote Originally Posted by Micutu View Post
    Like other mentioned, there are some CC froms not included (certain fears, like priest scream or pally turn evil) but those are not that reliable becuase mobs can run around alot with no control where they go so you might pull extra packs. You would need to have alot of clear room for it.
    But if you mentioned aoe intimidating shout you should have mentioned Hammer of Justice as a useful stun or the glyphed holy wrath for stunning elementals , undead and dragonkin.
    Glyphed psychic scream is reliable - the mobs do not run around like crazy. It's just as good as hungering cold (well... 8 seconds instead of 10, but it doesn't put a DOT frost fever on all the mobs either) Plus it doesn't break on the tiniest bit of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Israel....no Palestine....no Israel...no....
    This is a good guide, but you sorta missed stun-locks as viable CC. As a rogue I have sap, but I also have CheapShot-Gouge-Kidneyshot-Vanish-Cheapshot-Gouge-Kidneyshot-Blind.....that's still a good 38 seconds of CC assuming no one breaks the gouges/blind (aka noobs). Lets keep in mind this can also be preformed:

Gouge-KS-Vanish-CS-G-KS-Blind for 34 seconds of CC if another person's CC breaks and their on CD.

While its not preferred, it'd be a good thing to mention in a CC guide.
    People tell me rogues are unfair.......then I stab them.

As a mage I laugh at other mages that don't understand ring of frost totally. It is by far the best and only way you should start any and every pull. you lay a ring of frost and freeze all of the enemies. have everyone do thier CC and find a good LOS point. This gives time for everyone to CC and then to move to an LOS position. when the freeze breaks CCd mobs will stay CCd and the non CCd mobs will run to the group because of thier LOS position. It works flawless every time as long as your group isn't filled with impatient wrath-born children.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareKRO View Post
    This is a good guide, but you sorta missed stun-locks as viable CC. As a rogue I have sap, but I also have CheapShot-Gouge-Kidneyshot-Vanish-Cheapshot-Gouge-Kidneyshot-Blind.....that's still a good 38 seconds of CC assuming no one breaks the gouges/blind (aka noobs). Lets keep in mind this can also be preformed:

Gouge-KS-Vanish-CS-G-KS-Blind for 34 seconds of CC if another person's CC breaks and their on CD.

While its not preferred, it'd be a good thing to mention in a CC guide.
    I wouldn't consider this CC either, I'd consider it an emergency tactic. CC allows you to perform near 100% on other mobs while controling 1 or more. That wouldn't be the case with a stun lock. too much of your attention would be devoted to it.
    Last edited by Wardonis; 2011-01-09 at 08:01 AM.

Warrior's Intimidating shout does not work on elementals or Undead. I've tried in Grim batol and in Wrath in ICC.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great guide, I'm a tank myself and love to use CC as much as possible.
    Sure, burning down is possible, but it's straining on the healer and the entire group.

I would like to add a small thing to the Guide if possible, should people be against Keybinding the Marks.
    I'm using this addon: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...uick-mark.aspx
    It creates a small, movable window on your UI. Target a mob, click the wanted mark-symbol and it works great!

Deleted
    Crowd Controls is overrated, i've done every cata hc without cc's

One thing I would like to add about CC. Rushing in to take on the rest is not very effective since alot of things CAN break CC that way. Best way is for Tank to pull mobs bit away - taunt em off the orginal ccer - and let DPS start there.

Sadly alot of DPS rush in way before this is possible - leading to utter caos when they start to pull agro left right and center.

The other way takes few more sec - But is 100% guarantied in no incident happening.

---------- Post added 2011-01-09 at 10:41 AM ----------

Best addon I have found so far to mark up mobs is http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...get-icons.aspx

Simply double click or (shift) (contro) click and you get a circle showing the icons to pick from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moon is Sheep, let it be written
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Inturrupt table made me lol Lots of typos and info that is not correct o_o

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!