Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    As a tank and dps i kind of have mixed views, the 1st thing i say is cc which ever ones you want while they are being pulled. No one hould run up to mobs now incase of a overpull instead pull them back abit at lest. I trust people more than i should... if gets worse i either aoe fear or bubble myself AND the healer. Dont cc means you die best way to teach people the important of cc is to put them in your shoes. This also sounds harsh but most dps arent that good either, wont attack adds in boss encounters. Until a few months into cataclysm im not expecting much... doing my daily if i can be bothered and focusing on pvp until people become used to the new pve environment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    Its always either the tank or the dps that are retards in my randoms
    Hehe i see what u did there

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    True but if im waiting before pulling the next group its usually for a good reason. Watching healers mana, other DPS's mana. Something that would make me think its a better idea not to pull. I'd rather wait for healers mana to be topped off or DPS's then having them stop DPS mid fight because they ran out or wiping the entire group because mana wasn't there.
    In case a pull like that happens and i know the other 4 people of the party are not in combat, ofcourse they are dead meat, but if i see Mr Retard Mage running the mobs into us and we would get into combat anyway, actually picking them up and having the mage helping on killing them will reduce the chance of a wipe

I just came from a H DM random with a tank that had less health than me (as a Rogue).

Before that, it was a Grim Batol with a Druid tank that was determined to break CC, and kill the Malignent Trogg right next to the rest of the adds and the boss.

And before THAT, it was a Warrior in PvP gear that kept moving mobs around all the time, telling everyone else to "stfu" when we told him to stop moving around, AND bitching at the Healer for letting him die (when the healer had said brb a good half a minute before the tank pulled).

Oh, and before that, it was a Pally in Halls of Origination, needing on everything he could, going "lololololololol" when he did.

And before that was a DK in DPS gear, saying that he could tank like that because of his 60% extra armor. "I don't want to have to wait as DPS. And any good healer could keep me alive," he says with 120k health and no avoidance.

And the list goes on.

TL;DR: Yes. Yes, most of my random Tanks are awful. TERRIBLE. I can't even begin to fathom how people can possibly be so freakin' thick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixup View Post
    And before that was a DK in DPS gear, saying that he could tank like that because of his 60% extra armor. "I don't want to have to wait as DPS. And any good healer could keep me alive," he says with 120k health and no avoidance.

TL;DR: Yes. Yes, most of my random Tanks are awful. TERRIBLE. I can't even begin to fathom how people can possibly be so freakin' thick.
    He wasnt a tank though, he was a failure excuse of a dps. But ye, running into those people is extremely annoying and after being balance for the majority of wotlk, im glad im back to tanking once again

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    I'm a tank.
    I have a big ego.
    If you get me in your que it's a blessing. (more on that later)
    I am only there for the 70 valor at the end
    I will treat the instance like WotLK in most cases
    If I tell you to CC Star, I expect you to CC star, you may call this "your my property" but plain and simple, it's your job

That said, I have all 'symbols' for marking keybound. I always mark a Skull, I always mark a CC when necessary (except in parts of grim batol, or in melee-only packs)
    I use defensive CD's and chain them on pulls without CC.
    9 times out of 10 the CC target is a ranged class (Hunter/caster mob) and you're not doing me a favor, you're doing the healer a favor. So you're doing my bidding for the benefit of someone else besides myself. Damn, that just took my ego down a hit :-(
    I know the general optimal kill orders for mobs
    I re-mark a new Skull's and X's to give DPS a heads up on whats next... Before Skull actually dies.. These marks always have good threat and are safe to attack immediately
    I save stuns / interrupts for breaking CC (so i can move them if needed, or get 2-3 GCD's to build agro)
    I am not opposed to explaining fights, I happen to like my Fire elemental explanation for Grim Batol:
    -- However, most explanations seem a moot point in pug heroics as someone always get hugged by the fire elemental

My reasoning for my attitude:
    1) I'm sure you all ran with a tank that doesn't mark.
    a. It's not fun. Not even a skull? it's a pain.
    b. If someone needs to mark something, and the DPS are too lazy mark their targets, who is left to mark cc? The Tank. Most of you force this role on me
    c. If you want to mark your own CC, please go for it, I WILL NOT stop you, as long as you CC a Caster, Ranged attacker, or Healer (generally falling under the caster category) -- General Tip, go into keybindings and bind 2-3 icons to unused keys so you can adjust to other peoples markings and you can mark your own CC faster
    2) Partly with above, No one else wants to take charge. Many pug's have the "I'm actually watching TV while I do this" mentality -- I mean, some even admit it...
    3) I actually do care about the success, but I don't want to type out every minor detail like "Please CC Star, otherwise it'll chain cast "Die" until I can get it to play with me" yet some people don't even care to CC marks that are placed, explained, waited for, and still not done with the other CC's
    4) I don't brag about my gear in heroics, I don't say I'm there for their benefit in heroics, it's what I think, I give groups benefit of the doubt, and most of the time it is a disappointment
    I like you *touch*. This is how tanks should be in my opinion, as a healer. A little bit of communication, a little bit of take charge attitude, and the confidence to lead.

I pretty much exclusively run side by side with a ret paladin (husband), and we'll mark if the tank doesn't. Nine times out of ten, I feel that if the tank can't be bothered to comunicate, then I can't be bothered to heal him. Bad tanks are a dime a dozen, and great tanks are ones you praise and ego stroke. When you get one, be friendly! That way they know they're a good tank and will continue to do good tank things. Bad tanks can be kicked - the whole group goes to the top of the queue and its only a 5 minute wait for a new one most of the time.

Kick your bad tanks, let them know they're bad. 5 minutes isn't that long to wait!

It's Penguin Heaven, Dave. It's anywhere you want it to be.

15+ Year Old Account
    My main specc is prot, but from time to time i go as dps (arms) cause i like something else, many times it ends up, we kicking tank and group ask/begs me to tank rest, AND im allowed to roll on dps gear
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    After repeatedly getting poor tanks in instances, I rolled my own and have never looked back. I do get cheesed off by the idiots who only say one word repeatedly in instances, that word being "Go!"

Some people might thing me a little bit of a "horrible tank" but I'm only horrible in the way that if you keep pulling mobs whilst I'm waiting for the healer to mana up, I ain't saving you. I usually get the good old l2tank, but this is usually off elitists who believe the run is focused around them and not the whole group when things like this happen.

Nope... but then I usually tank myself.
    OH FOR GODS SAKE I HAVE NO IMAGINATION.

Mine are awesome, 'cause I'm the tank.

On my healer/dps? Well, pretty much tanks that don't mark, tanks that run ahead after not marking and making me OOM on trash and pulling while I'm drinking. I've pretty much just learned to not give a fuck in PUGs now and if you fuck up after I explain something at least twice, I will fucking bitch you out because I'm sick of slow learners on easy mechanics and if it wasn't for playing a warrior and using my interrupts so well I'd go insane on trash that has to be interrupted.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    most tanks im with are actually ok.. it's obvious that most of them are still in a learning curve, but with some patience everything goes well. Ofc I sometimes end up with terrible tanks, no gear, no brain or anything. But that's just the luck of the pug and theres is nothing you really can do about it other than enduring it. Untill enough people get fed up enough and kicks him

So far my two characters are both queing as tanks, a allaince druid and horde bloodelf paladin. I started getting both to 85, not touching the instances, then once 85 ran the normals I could then all the heroics in a group with friends ether dps'ing as my offset or tanking, once learned the places then I started to que as a tank for random heroics. I never thought the places were hard till I started the randoms lol, its crazy how fail some people can make the simplelist fight be, but with that said, never had problem with trash. Tho it can be anoying when I try to mark shit and befor its all marked something is already cc'd and the mobs are runing everywhere lol.

I useually play a tanking role, when im healing i get WotLK style 'let's pull it all' idiots 8/10.

Last HC i did was Stonecore, 2 earthshapers on the first pack and the tank just charged in. Noone interrupted and both earthshapers changed at the same time and started aoeing the fuck out of the group....so yeah we wiped.

Then the tank went 'healer?'

I also meet allot of Tanks that only know the word 'ready?' and don't mark up or anything, they just pull and expect healers to clean up after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    So far my two characters are both queing as tanks, a allaince druid and horde bloodelf paladin. I started getting both to 85, not touching the instances, then once 85 ran the normals I could then all the heroics in a group with friends ether dps'ing as my offset or tanking, once learned the places then I started to que as a tank for random heroics. I never thought the places were hard till I started the randoms lol, its crazy how fail some people can make the simplelist fight be, but with that said, never had problem with trash. Tho it can be anoying when I try to mark shit and befor its all marked something is already cc'd and the mobs are runing everywhere lol.
    Instant kick when i am tanking, that kind of players force the tank and healer to work harder with no valid reason at all.
    Last edited by ohlins; 2011-01-06 at 02:21 PM.

Mh.
    I play a tank and a dps.
    The tanks i get are mostly decent.
    But i get LOTS of 3-4k DPSers, and overconfident 60k mana, green geared healers who just stuffed some offspec in their bags and think they're ready for heroics.

I'm a healer and didn't have any real bad tanks so far. The worst one was an average tank that didn't have a clue about the instance - explained everything, wiped two or three times and got it down.

Deleted
    40% are fine.
    60% are bad.

The 60% random tank's i've met so far never had a full tank set. Druid with cloth etc.. Or they couldnt hold threat on more then 2 mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilar View Post
    Nah, for me its mainly the healers. They can't keep up with the damage. There have been a few too many cocky tanks in my randoms though.
    If they cant keep up with the dmg while they are actualy healing then its the tanks fault for taking too much dmg

Edit:BTW 90% of the time dpsers are much much worse than tanks and healers
    Last edited by mmoccf0a0b07a7; 2011-01-06 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disastor View Post
    Not really.

I would say bad tanks happens about as frequently as bad dps. I always take my Q dreading what im going to see o the other side. Many times I am pleasantly surprised.
    Wow... Logic in a forum post
    This cannot be
    Congratz to you sir, i agree with you, i think the thread should have ended here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

IF your dps doesnt do 5k. Kick him (or get him killed and dont res him)
    IF your tank has less than 130k hp, he is NOT a tank, he is a DPS wanting to avoid the queue, kick him.
    IF your healer must drink after every pull, kick him, he doesn't know how to play.

Usually however, I queue 4/5 or 5/5 people i know IRL, so it isnt a problem, especially when the 5th is a dps. We just make fun of him until he dies. They all leave eventually because they can't follow and put up decent numbers. After a while, dungeon finder understands and gives us equal or better dps that doesnt stand in fire. When the run is over they ask for another run. So its 5/5 good players after the first dungeon usually.

Except that time we went through 10 healers on the dragon in stonecore. 8 of them died to the aoe shards, 1 to fire, 1 survived the fight! Although costly in repairs, it was pretty hilarious. That 1 was unable to understand the mechanics of Ozruk and never put up his SW:P on himself. We spent 3 healers on that fight. 2 healers for last fight. TOTAL: 15 healers - 1 instance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neobahamut20 View Post
    IF your tank has less than 130k hp, he is NOT a tank, he is a DPS wanting to avoid the queue, kick him.
    I havent seen dps acctually try to tank but they steal tank gear all the time.... btw is that 130k buffed? cause lol thats pretty short

As a fire mage I understand that my DPS can sometimes be a little spiky; when I join a heroic group I make it a rule to greet everyone nicely and then talk to the tank about how long he wants me to wait before I start up my rotation, what my CC mark is, what is the priority for interrupting etc.

70% of tanks will not respond at all.

10% of tanks will respond well to this, giving me a genuine answer, mentioning that not many people bother to ask.

20% of tanks will respond with some flippant answer about me taking it "too seriously". These are the ones that are wearing DPS gear and generally appear to be 'tanking' by rolling their face across the keyboard.

It's utterly ridiculous that 9/10 times my attempts to make the run easier on the group fail. It's also utterly ridiculous when people can't understand simple concepts and I'm back to waiting 30-40 minutes after the tank stands in Slabhide's Crystal Barrage.