10+ Year Old Account

Suggest me a Blu-ray drive ;)

hey, i currently dont have a disc drive in my computer, i used my brothers external one to install windows.

but he has moved out now, and i need soemthing to watch my dvds on... i have decided i want a blu-ray drive instead of a dvd one becasue i rekon in teh next 3-4 years, dvds will be a thing of the past :P

i have been looking around but they confuse me, here is what i would like it to do:

Faster read speed the better
    Would be cool if it could write blu-rays but not essential
    Deffinatly be able to write DVDs
    im not sure bout this, but do blu-ray drives read CDs? if they do nvm :P if not, it would be cool if there was one out there where you can
    and obviosuly the cheaper the batter :P

if anyone has any suggestions please post ere

My budget is £0- around £80

Thanks

Zyger
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-183-_-Product

Doesn't write bluray though.

This one can write, but its a little more expensive obviously
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-181-_-Product

And yes, they can do all the stuff a normal CD/DVD drive can too.

BluRay writer wont fit into your budget, but plenty of reader options. All readers can read CD and DVD discs, and most BD readers can also write CD/DVD. Brand matters very little since most CD/DVD/BD drives are manufactured by LG or Samsung, but sold with many different nametags.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-12-29 at 12:09 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The answer is simple get yourself a ps3. Not only is ps3 still one of the best blu ray players on the market, you'll also have the ability to play real video games with actual real good graphics.

Be warned though, after playing mgs4 and uncharted 2, you may think wow is an ugly ass game...
    Twice the pride, double the fall.
    Might is a trash guild.

Deleted
    I got a nice samsung one.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191042
    A few weeks ago, and im very happy with it

Uk website there.
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2010-12-29 at 12:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooku View Post
    The answer is simple get yourself a ps3. Not only is ps3 still one of the best blu ray players on the market, you'll also have the ability to play real video games with actual real good graphics.

Be warned though, after playing mgs4 and uncharted 2, you may think wow is an ugly ass game...
    After i spent £1000 on a kick ass gaming pc i dont think so, PCs can do EVERYTHING ps3s can do + more, once you get a blu-ray drive in it :P

moaradin, is there any sites i can get that in the UK? i spose you wouldnt know being in the US, but is worth asking :P
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooku View Post

Considering his budget (80 quid or about US $124), I'd be hard pressed to believe he'd be willing to go and buy a PS3.

10+ Year Old Account
    actually forget the "where can i buy one in teh UK?" thing :P

Can anyone spot any differences between:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH10LS30-...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH10LS30-...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0

im willing to stretch the extra £5 to get the whole lot

Quote Originally Posted by Zygersaf View Post
    After i spent £1000 on a kick ass gaming pc i dont think so, PCs can do EVERYTHING ps3s can do + more, once you get a blu-ray drive in it :P

moaradin, is there any sites i can get that in the UK? i spose you wouldnt know being in the US, but is worth asking :P
    yea http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/d...20ray%20burner

although, since I'm from the US, I haven't tried that. You can read up on the site and see i they are any good.

One comes in pretty box, one comes without the retail box.

It's normal for computer parts that the boxed versions are slightly more expensive than the bare OEM versions.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    One comes in pretty box, one comes without the retail box.

It's normal for computer parts that the boxed versions are slightly more expensive than the bare OEM versions.
    so thats what OEM means... thanks saves me from making a new thread a week later asking what it means thanks guys, think im gonna get
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH10LS30-...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0

i like boxes... cant bear to throw them away xD will order it tomorrow along with my new keyboard
    Thanks again

OEM = original equipment manufacturer, most often it means big companies like HP, Dell, Compaq etc. but it can mean also small stores that build computer for you out of parts. OEM manufacturers do not need boxes, actually they hate boxes because it's more trash they need to get rid of, more space wasted in shipping and more time wasted when pulling the parts out of boxes.

OEM and "tray" means the same, just the product with no packaging. Sometimes there's also no manuals, software or even cables/screws with these.

Retail packaging is the pretty printed box with all manuals, cd's and stuff included. Reail boxes usually cost around $5-10 more.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    $5 more worth it, i dont think i have any sata cables left over from when i built my computer, and by the looks of it, you need pretty specific software for blu-ray atm, i jsut need to make sure my chraphics card is compatible with it, i asume it is. a nvidia gtx 460 :P