Why does my dry loop internet disconnect when..

water starts running from somewere in the house?

That's...peculiar. Whether it's dry loop or not has nothing to do with anything, but at least I learned something today.

I would suspect a physical wiring issue. Contact your ISP. Perhaps when the water is turned on a pipe moves and messes with a DSL cable somewhere it shouldn't be.

(Hate to say it, but it was REALLY hard to resist a "because it got wet" comment.)

You might also want to rule other whether it's a true lack of connectivity or a DNS issue. To do this, when you're experiencing a disconnect go to Start>Run and type in 'cmd' without the quotes. In the box that appears, type in 'ping www.google.com' (no quotes) and it will probably say Request timed out. Once it's done, type 'ping 72.14.204.147' (no quotes) and see if you get something like this:
    Pinging 72.14.204.147 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 72.14.204.147: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=50
    Reply from 72.14.204.147: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=50
    Reply from 72.14.204.147: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=50
    Reply from 72.14.204.147: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 72.14.204.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

If you can ping by IP but not by name, it's a DNS issue. If you can't ping either, it's the connection as a whole.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-12-29 at 12:48 AM.

Scarab Lord
    Could be an electrical issue. Water is turned on in turn possibly turning on a humidifier, heater, or even an electric water pump. In turn this device that comes on is drawing so much electrical current that your breaker can't support both devices at the same time.

Quick and dirty way to test something like this out would be to plug the power for the DSL modem into a variety of sockets throughout the home or business and see if the problem still persists.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    That's...peculiar. Whether it's dry loop or not has nothing to do with anything, but at least I learned something today.

I would suspect a physical wiring issue. Contact your ISP. Perhaps when the water is turned on a pipe moves and messes with a DSL cable somewhere it shouldn't be.

(Hate to say it, but it was REALLY hard to resist a "because it got wet" comment.)
    i'v had bell come to my house so many times saying it was problem with speed ad such but it was only recently i noticed when someone showers or turns of the sink or even uses the toilet the net with dc until which ever is being used is turned off.

Water pump causes electric interference which can knock down wireless shit. Or if you're on wired internet, power spikes or over current draw from the water pump might cause your internet router to black out temporarily.

For the first problem stop using wireless shit, or move the WLAN station to the opposite end of the house. For the second problem you can use UPS for all your computer equipment as quick and dirty fix, but power spikes are a symptom of a problem which might burn the house down.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i'm currently on the phone with a bell tech..he doesn't really seem to know wth im talking about, But most of you seem to be right. Someone else in the house has the modem and were theres is plugged in its fine. no dcs or nothing.

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    i'm currently on the phone with a bell tech..he doesn't really seem to know wth im talking about, But most of you seem to be right. Someone else in the house has the modem and were theres is plugged in its fine. no dcs or nothing.
    Yeah moving the power source for the modem should take care of it then mate. Weak or overused circuit on the side of the house you are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Yeah moving the power source for the modem should take care of it then mate. Weak or overused circuit on the side of the house you are on.
    Glad we could find an answer. Rivehn, do find someone to actually LOOK at your electrical system though. That's worrisome, and for more safety reasons than anything. :/

hm alright i'll give this a try and let you all know....thansk alot.

Scarab Lord
    Just noticed you are a fellow Canuck. Don't you just love our low voltage houses. I wish I was back over in Europe where everything is brick and mortar with enough voltage in a home to run a McDonald's here.

So i received a call today from one of the higher tech people at bell today, when i told him what was happening he laughed and said he hadn't ever heard of an issue like this before.

They ended up telling me that there was people around me who were have similar problems dcing and that theres experts coming this week to work on the Huge box down the road to fix the issue.

hopefully this will fix the problem.

So still no luck fixing this issue, calling bell to come totally change the wire going though the walls and change the location. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Not being able to play because i want a glass of water is just horrible.