Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing is a difficult villain to make interesting to players because his beef has mostly been with the other dragonflights historically and he's just such a big, cosmic kind of enemy that you get a little detached from emotionally investing in him. He's more like a natural disaster as an antagonist (like you know, the tornadoes in Twister etc.), than a real entity. A problem, but not a very personal one.

Arthas/LK was handled pretty badly in WLK (and WoW in general) by being so detached and passive and just not very scary most of the time, not doing much with the power at his fingertips unlike WC3 where he was really freaky and made a lot of trouble. But conceptually, LK is a much better villain because he's a real personality, he exists on a personal level — the things he does have real bite and malice and they directly affect everyone in a very aggressive way. You are fighting against an evil person who does really evil things rather than a detached destructive force with a bunch of admittedly evil minions.

Some people just like having a villain who's big, intimidating, scary, and actually does things. On that level, within the context of WoW, I can see why Deathwing is more appealing or at least refreshing after LK basically sat on his sofa and munched Pringles while concocting a ludicrously contrived trap for the players, the whole last xpac.

arthas/lich king is better. better lore, better story, etc

Quote Originally Posted by xotrem View Post
    Deathwing has gone to the trouble of killing me while leveling. Arthas always showed up and ran away. Arthas just didn't have the same level of commitment that Deathwing has.
    Do you squash every bug you see?

Arthas was by far the better villain. He has a cooler lore (in my opinion) and he is the kind of mastermind that makes you feel sorry for killing him and ending his reign of terror. While Deathwing is more of a brute-force kind of villain. He does have that old-school feeling though.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Ok. First off. Arthas's storyline was AMAZING, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Deathwing's story so far isn't really involving us, so it isn't affecting us....but thats kinda the point. So far we have that he's fought with Alexstrasza and he won...bad...we know old gods are fucking EVERY where... literally and we know that deathwing has made EVERYONE..hit the OH SHIT button...and thats the way its suppose to be..it isn't the "RAWR I'M A BIG SCARY DRAGON..RAWR." thing going on at alll. he's shits on everyone elses mind right now, we're cleaning up shit as a "army" so to speak while the generals make the final attack plan...in WOTLK, we were the attack plan..it was you're the hero, go the fuck down arthas's throat.
    as patches come out, we're just ranking up in the ranks of shit to do until we get to the wonderchin himself.

Now for arthas's story the last 45 seconds of his fight tied everything together in a epic way beyond belief...He was training us the whole time...he was glad we were over coming everything..he wanted us too. he was evil super genius....we didn't win,we got lucky...That is amazing beyond belief as a story I think...nuff said.

Deleted
    Does Deathwing need to be "better"? It's another story, you don't need to rank everything.

Deleted
    I just hate that grater in the Barrants, what Deathwing bring. I mean, it is good looking and stuff, but if i want the onother side of it, then i need to go a big circle or jump in it and get died and awake up in another side. BLIZZARD PLESE MADE A PRIDGE FOR CROSSING IT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    I thought Ddubya wanted to 'remake' the world and mortals were just in the way. Isn't it the Twilights who want to destroy the world? Would appreciate it if a Lore aficionado could straighten this out.

He used to be the Earthwarder, and I think he went crazy and still considers himself as such. He probably doesn't even think he is the bad guy, like most crazy villains.
    I was unaware that Darkwing Duck was in World of Warcraft. Thank you for enlightening me.

I liked Arthas pre WoTLK, but his whole plan seemed kinda stupid. I love deathwing in general because he has so much power as a villian and isnt screwing around.