I am a Tactics Junkie.

I can't help it.

I love them.

Final Fantasy Tactics didn't start it all for me.

Ogre Battle: 64 did. Then it was Vandal Hearts. Then FFTactics.

From there, Tactics Advanced, Ogre Battle for the GBA, and then Disgaea. Unfortunately Disgaea opened a dark portal for me, and I refuse to play it anymore.

I mean, come on. "Level to 9999, kill the character to start at level 1 and do it all over again. There is no maximum to his stats!", then "Hey item world. You have a nice weapon? It could be nicer. It could be four thousand times nicer."

Two hundred hours later, what did I have? A guy who could one-shot anything forever.

Thanks. No more for me.

Then I found a few hopefuls. I played Advanced Wars for the DS, and a few sequels, as well as Fire Emblem. They were ok, but not my favorite. Stella Deus was cool too. Never finished it, I overleveled and the system they had in place made things too difficult. Those "when you level, they level, except they also get better gear" systems tend to make level grinding a bad thing. It's not that I need to level grind, it's that when I see on the box that I can be a supercool Samurai, I want one. Like, after mission 2. I need one. So I rush/grind until I have one. Sometimes it's a bad thing. Sometimes the item you need to complete the change (COUGH COUGH, Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced 2) isn't until mission 35 out of 40.

So anyways, onto the point.

Do you like tactics games? What were some awesome ones you would recommend? Are you pre-ordering Ogre Battle: Let Us Cling Together (super gay name, I love it) and getting free Tarot Cards? I AM.

There are a lot of games for the DS and PsP that I skipped. There are some I just won't play. Usually ones that rely on big super ridiculous combos where you can do 40,000 damage on a level 6 boss with only 400 health (I'm looking at you, Valkyrie something-or-other). I like the classic ones. Where you can level up (to a degree) and trivialize some of the game, but nothing so extravagant that you're reincarnating a character 1700 times so you can do all of the missions on Exponentially Ridiculous Mode for absolutely no real gain. I like class systems where you have a goal. Level 4 Ninja and Level 4 Warrior = Level 1 Samurai, who can wear Super Rare Sword 1 you do reasonable hour-long sidequest to obtain. Not level 125,455,999 Galactic Astromancer who casts one spell that does fourteen times the last boss' HP as a map-wide AoE.

That's just silly.

I love them because I love chess, Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre were awesome but also people always forget Tactics Ogre.

FFT kind of blew my mind and I ended up playing that game for about a year straight getting all the crazy stuff in it.

Never tried the handheld games.

Deleted
    I read this whole post in my mind as a person with ADHD and read it super fast....btw yeah tactics are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    I love them because I love chess, Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre were awesome but also people always forget Tactics Ogre.

FFT kind of blew my mind and I ended up playing that game for about a year straight getting all the crazy stuff in it.

Never tried the handheld games.
    Unfortunately most of the new tactics games are handheld-only. My boyfriend actually bought me a DS and PsP because I was so distraught about that very fact.

Final Fantasy Tactics has a revision on the PsP called "War of the Lions" and I'm getting it in a week. It has a few bonus missions, characters, and classes. I can't freakin' wait. That game was my everything when I was in Junior High.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Bromance Together is actually a revision of one of the first Tactics Ogre games, with an enhanced class system and stuff. It looks epic.

Quote Originally Posted by highhat87 View Post
    I read this whole post in my mind as a person with ADHD and read it super fast....btw yeah tactics are cool.
    You read it as I wrote it.

I just had an Absolute Zero Monster.

I'm pretty pumped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Loved Disgaea :P was so mental, FFtactics was amazing, even loved the new PsP version, mainly because Balthier was a pimp.

sadly it seems TO:LUCT isn't being released in England I hate my shitty country, so I'm learning Japanese gunna get this awesome shit right from the source
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Vandal Hearts is my all time favorite game, followed by Final Fantasy Tactics and then Skies of Arcradia (or Eternal Arcadia). These games are so awesome i could play them forever. I mean, the bloody fountains when you kill an enemy in VH are sooo delightful, same for smashing mobs with lolmonks in FFT..

...Gotta get my good old PSX now.. There's no way they could make such amazing games nowadays

I have a slightly addictive personality. Disgaea was both heaven and hell for me. On one side, I loved all of the different classes and stuff. On the other side, I hated the item world but I NEEDED to max out all of my gear. And my levels.

Needless to say, for my own good, I will not be partaking in most future Disgaea titles...probably...

But I remember playing Vandal Hearts for the first time. Stabbing someone and seeing pixelated blood just GUSHFUCKINGEVERYWHERE was so cool.

And some really epic missions. Like when the entire Crimson Army attacks that town. The archer lady, the heavy knight guy, the small ninja guy, and the knight dude, all with their special entourage, it felt so hopeless...but I won, and it was sweet.

Never played Skies of Arcadia, was it similar to FFT? Class system? Turn-based or speed-based? Medieval? Magic? Technology? I MUST KNOW MORE.

Gallahadd - good luck on your endeavor, sorry England won't have it. It looks glorious.

Deleted
    SoA is not a tactic, just a regular RPG, but i fell in love with it, it's a sky pirates' tale (flying ships, islands, but not like Star Wars Fail Fantasy XII) and it's really mind-blowing. I only felt that way for a RPG with Final Fantasy IX

The magics are based on the way you color the crystal in your weapon (green are heals and poisons, red fire and damage boost, yellow lightning and speed up,...) and you gain XP in the same color, gaining new spells etc.

It's a quite old game since it was released on the beloved Dreamcast (RIP that console) but even now i advise you to play it, you won't be disappointed (nullDC runs it perfectly )

Oh, and there's a revision for GameCube i think in case you cannot run it