Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    I also use a razer naga which has some abilities bound to it, but these are abilities you use once a blue moon (heals as a prot paladin for example).
    I just bought one 2 days ago and its bloody awesome!

I would definately recommend it to any1

Quote Originally Posted by Jÿnks View Post
    Those of you saying you have F keybound, I hope you have Assist keybound somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharQueDo View Post
    My advice:

1) Start by dropping WASD and use Q W and E to respectively strafe left, move forward and strafe right. Learn to use your mouse to turn (hold rightmousebutton) and how to move your camera without your character with the leftmousebutton (tip: interface > options > camera > camera following style set to 'Never adjust camera').

2) Start by keybinding your main abilities to 1-5, your often used abilities around QWE (T, Y, A, S, D, F, G, 6) and your cooldowns on the bottom keyboard row (Z, X, C, V). Learn to use Shift and Alt in conjunction with the above keys. And if you're not a pet user, Ctrl too. Bind all your class spells, racial abilities and other important stuff (ground mount, flying mount, potions, bandages, etc) to a key. You can leave stuff like hearthstone and profession skills unbound (I have them at the bottom of my rightmost actionbars).

If you really want to get good at keybinds, reroll your class to an alt and start practicing there, since you won't have all your abilities available yet and you can gradually learn keybind per keybind as you level, instead of everything at once. You must remember that it all comes down to muscle memory. So practice, practice, practice.
    I've played for years with WASD in WoW, but I find QWE much much much more comfortable when hitting abilities (1-5 and around QWE), so I'm using that the last year. It just feels more natural to me.

Plus it frees up 3 more buttons.
    3 more buttons?

4 - 3 = 1 ?

QWE is higher up your keyboard. In general, you have more of an issue reaching below your movement keys (try using space with your index finger, while keeping most of your fingers at QWE), so ideally, you want to have them in a position where there's not too many keys below and too little above. WASD is your best option, due to the easy reach in all directions. Not to mention that it(QWE)'s far from conventional and thus will take more practice to get used to..

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemus View Post
    I just bought one 2 days ago and its bloody awesome!

I would definately recommend it to any1
    store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900

Now I want one....

Enjoy your American Freedom (void where prohibited)
    Land of the Free*
    *Some conditions apply. See in-country for details. Void where prohibited. No cash value. Offer expires September 11, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Unbind WASD so you have to use your mouse to walk and not click, forcing you to use binds for spells
    That is a terrible idea. Don't do that. Without WASD you can't strafe, and if you're always using your mouse to move then you can't move your camera around you while you're moving. Really just don't do that. And that reminds me - if you haven't already then you should bind A and D to strafe. Strafing is super useful and as long as I've been playing this game I've never needed to keyboard turn.

I use 1-5 and f1-f5 for my typical dps rotation. I bound them that way originally because the keys on the keyboard match up visually with the bottom left action bars. It was helpful when I first started playing and I'm so used to it now that I stick with it but it's far from optimal so probably don't do that. Like someone else said, less frequently used abilities like buffs or cooldowns or something are good for the function keys. I also use ~, Q, E, T, F, G, H, Z, X for various abilities and macros that aren't in my typical rotation, but need to be hit fast. I use X as sort of a general purpose button. I use it for items I need to use for quests, macros specific to a particular boss, health stone, fishing - just anything that I wouldn't want to dedicate a key to, but which is helpful to have bound in some circumstances.

If you're used to clicking then I wouldn't recommend trying to bind things with shift/alt/ctrl modifiers right away. It takes a while to really get comfortable with a set of bindings to the point where you use them without thinking, and if you try to use a really complicated set right away I think you'll be overwhelmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    3 more buttons?

4 - 3 = 1 ?

QWE is higher up your keyboard. In general, you have more of an issue reaching below your movement keys (try using space with your index finger, while keeping most of your fingers at QWE), so ideally, you want to have them in a position where there's not too many keys below and too little above. WASD is your best option, due to the easy reach in all directions. Not to mention that it(QWE)'s far from conventional and thus will take more practice to get used to..
    A + S + D = 3

And I press space (along with Z, X, C and V) with my thumb, not my index finger.

A + S + D = 3

And I press space (along with Z, X, C and V) with my thumb, not my index finger.
    No shit -_- ..I was pointing out that complex movement would be harder.

A + S + D - Q - E = 1....

15+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest switching your movement keys from WASD to either ESDF or RDFG depending on how many things you feel you need to keybind. I prefer ESDF personally, as this gives me 123456, qwrty, agh, zxcvbn, mouse wheel click / scroll commands and shift/control/alt modifiers.

Remember, when you first move over to keybinding it will feel very out of place, and you definitely won't perform optimally for a bit. Once you get used to it though, you'll never go back to clicking. I was a clicker with minor keybinds until The Burning Crusade, and I honestly cannot play the game without binding now because clicking feels so slow, inefficient and clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by kallette View Post
    If you're used to clicking then I wouldn't recommend trying to bind things with shift/alt/ctrl modifiers right away. It takes a while to really get comfortable with a set of bindings to the point where you use them without thinking, and if you try to use a really complicated set right away I think you'll be overwhelmed.
    Actually, I would say the opposite. If you used to clicking and want to use keybinds then get used to the modifiers. To add to this to make it easier to figure out though use an action bar addon similar to Dominos. The way I do it is I have my main bar (1-+) on the bottom and a second bar on top (Shift+1-5/Alt+1-5). This will allow you to see the keybinds visually (both the icon and the text on the button) until you get used to it. This is how I started and keep my main rotation on buttons 1-5, with extras on Shift+1-5/Alt+1-5 for quick access. Anything past 5 on the main bar is for rarely used/encounter specific but still easy to get to. And the last two buttons on the top bar not keybound are basic click items such as a focus macro or for clearing threat/dps/heal meters if you use them.

Most important thing said though is test and find what feels most comfortable for you. Many people do it similar simply because someone showed it to them and they tried it and got used to it. Others simply played around and made they own setup that works. If a solution that is common works for you go for it, otherwise play with it till you have it working for you. Screw everyone else.

~Rev

Enjoy your American Freedom (void where prohibited)
    Land of the Free*
    *Some conditions apply. See in-country for details. Void where prohibited. No cash value. Offer expires September 11, 2001.

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing you could do in addition to all these suggestions is instead of using wasd, use esdf to move. 1 becomes a little harder to reach but you get more reach on other keys.

Guys, giving your keybinds wont help the OP.

As others have said.. Unbind Q+E and replace A+D with them(So strafe replaces the turn keys) and unbind S(unless you're a tank) then just start binding a few keys around those. Tab/`/1/2/3/4/5/Q/E/R/T/F/G/B/C/X/Z(not all, they're examples).. Then you can add shift, control or alt modifiers to those as well.

Start slow, a few at a time then just gradually add more as you get used to them, and do NOT click them.

*Notice how on the keybinds I listed they literally go right around where the hand is?

` 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
    tab q w e r t |
    ----a s d f g |
    ----z x c v b |
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2010-12-29 at 03:28 PM.

Keybindings works different for melee and ranged characters.

First my rogue (melee character). Q W E S are for moving - strafe left, forward, strafe right, backpedal. These have their use because often melee characters have to constantly adjust their positioning. Playing as mutilate, I bound D to mutilate and Alt-D to backstab - and garotte when in stealth -, A to envenom and Alt-A to Rupture - ambush in stealth -, F is Slice n Dice, G is Kidney Shot - Cheap Shot while in stealth - and Z for Fan of Knives. And the ever important kick on 2. I won't list all my keybinds but you can see a pattern here, making it easier to remember.

For my warlock, it is different. I find that as ranged you move much less and play seems much more relax, especially with spell having casting times - press button, wait, press again and a longer global cooldown (rogues have 1s while caster have 1.5s - haste). My main keybinds are F1 to F4 and 1 to 4.

As a general rule, the more often an ability is used, the closer to your finger the key should be. Also, some people use E S D F for movement instead of W S A D, opening more close keys. If you play more than one characters, try to have similar keybinds (e.g. if your kick is 2 on your rogue, put wind shear also on 2 on your shaman).

I still click to activate cooldowns and trinkets, I find it less likely to trigger them by accident.

A couple of things I have found:
    - if you play a pet class, your pet bar has some keybinds with CTRL and I also found that SHIFT doesn't seem to work with bartender
    - you can also make macros for two or more abilities (see A and alt A above) and only have the button bound to A (still beware of Alt F4)
    Last edited by Oscassey; 2010-12-29 at 03:26 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    F1-F8. (Though F5-F8 should only be reserved for special cooldowns.)

Make sure to use the Tilde "~" key for mouseover dispels or interrupts that are off the GCD. (Assuming you're melee.)

1-0 is obvious, though you should favor only the longest cooldowns the further you get from your strafing fingers.

That's about 21 possible binds.

I use a G15 to supplement extra 6 binds for my pinky finger.

Any macro that requires you to do more than alt or shift + click (targetframe) is total fail. I say this because modifiers that require you to have both hands on the keyboard can also cause you to have your eyes leave the screen during a moment of anxiety or stress. (The point of keybinding is to make sure you never have to do that. :P)

As a general rule, and because I'm an extreme typist, never replace or rebind the original lettered keys on your keyboard. Especially long cooldowns or trinkets. If you attempt to speak in a channel, and happen to screw up the syntax required to actually type in game, you're just inconveniencing yourself and potentially others that may have to wait the 3-10 minutes for that particular cooldown to refresh itself.
    Last edited by Gavenrod; 2010-12-29 at 03:39 PM.

Deleted
    I use the following system (I have a german apple keyboard, your keys may be different, but the idea is the same):

movement keys on ESDF (I am considering dropping E for forward as I usually move with the mouse anyway), S and F are for strafe - rotation is done with the mouse

^ and 1-6 for rarely used abilities
    QWRTAG for main abilities
    >YXCVB (bottom row) for rarely used abilities

Same keys also with shift (I don't use alt and ctrl as they are not convenient to press).

I even went so far as for removing all action bars but one, where I put the abilities I click (like Heroism). For keybinds, I use the Keybinder addon, its a bit immature but works nicely.

Gives you 38 keybinds in total, all of which are very easily reached - you barely need to move your fingers from the movement keys.
    Of course it takes soem time to get used to it, but in my experience after a single BG (where your performance will be really bad) your brain will get a fix on the buttons. Generally, I recommend learning new keybinds in a pvp environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavenrod View Post
    Make sure to use the Tilde "~" key for mouseover dispels or interrupts that are off the GCD. (Assuming you're melee.)
    Shift-#? Unless I'm missing something.. You should never bind that key anyhow, you would NEVER have two hands on your keyboard, ever. It defeats the point in keybinding as you haven't got your hand on your mouse.

And to the rest of your post.. ehh.. you shouldn't be binding that far, unless you have huge hands(I have a G15 keyboard too, you can't reach '0' without taking your hand away from the movement keys).

Edit:
    Googled "Tilde key", seems you meant the key to the left of 1, but mine on my keyboard it's ` or (shift) ¬. Crossed out but left anyhow to make sense, and that it's a fair point to say you shouldn't bind far away from where your hand rests.
    Edit 2: @bachok; Yeah just googled, as above, thanks.. Note to self: Google before you speak!
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2010-12-29 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    You should never bind that key anyhow, you would NEVER have two hands on your keyboard, ever. It defeats the point in keybinding as you haven't got your hand on your mouse.

And to the rest of your post.. ehh.. you shouldn't be binding that far, unless you have huge hands(I have a G15 keyboard too, you can't reach '0' without taking your hand away from the movement keys).
    I think his tilde key is different from your's On some keyboards "~" is just on the left of "1". On my keyboard, its "^". A perfect key to use in a keybinding (I actually have my spirit wolves on it)

So many tips.. ... so you will have hard time to find something useful...anyway...my tips..

Playing wow for 6 years already..Don't unbind your WASD for sure... and you don't need bind strafe to right and left to A and D keys...just press Right mouse button and you are strafing with your A and D key no problem.. for me..its best way to handle strafing in WoW (its default settings BTW)

Anyway, aside from keys like Q,E,R,F,C,Z,X,V,G and 1,2,3,4 with modifiers... use your mouse too.. for example.. on my warrior I have charge on shift + scroll up (works perfectly), battle shout alt + scroll up ...etc...if you have middle button on your mouse, use it with modifiers too, if you have more buttons on mouse, use it.. if you will be able use your mouse effectively, you will never look back.. It's the easiest way to handle many skills.

I've been looking back on this and could use some advice from advanced users. I made the switch from clicking to keybinding back at the beginning of BC and have a pretty functional setup right now.

Q,E, Shift+A, Shift+D, Shift+Q, Shift+E, Caps lock, F, Shift+F, Shift+R, Shift+X, Shift+C, T, Shift+T, Shift+G, Shift+V,1-6,Shift+1-6, F1-F4, Mouse button 4, mouse button 5, mouse button 3 (middle button), and shfit modifiers of those, shift+scroll up and down.

Then I have an addon called Opie which has a little circle that pops up with designated abilities when you press a key (I have it bound to G) and I use that for buffs. However I have seen a lot of UIs that have an actionbar of like.. 5-6 abilities and I understand that is not all they use, only their frequently used abilities that come off CD quickly so they can see it and the rest are keybound behind the scenes.. but I'd really like to cut down on my keybound abilities and simplify my game: streamline it. As you can see in my sig I play a lot of different classes so I try to mainstreem my keybindings.

I could use advice on how to cut down on these keybindings, which spells don't need to be on the bar/keybound at all (ya don't need to specify with each spec, just a general example!), what abilities to bind to what keys to make them feel more natural (I find myself fumbling a lot in a pressure situation such as PvP) and also some help with my modifiers. Right now I use CTRL as my Ventrilo push to talk key and that is bad, but it is the only key I can think of that is close to press to talk in those pressure situations without hindering my play. I use Alt to show my Bartender bars (I have them all hidden outside of combat to make things look nicer) so the only modifier I end up using is shift. I would also like to find a way to make mouse button 4 and 5 less used (I thought about using them for trinkets now) in a combat situation because they feel a bit awkward to press with my large hands. I use the Razer Naga.

Also is there a way to disable the Caps Lock key function? I find myself not using it in game even though it is really close to my natural position beause it annoys me when Caps Lock gets turned on and off.

Here is an example of my UI and what happens when I hold down ALT: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...211_140430.jpg

The top bars are hidden at all times unless I hold down ALT, the bottom bars show in combat or if I am targetting a hostile target. The thing around my mouse is Opie; it pops up when I hold down G.
    Last edited by Tragopan; 2011-01-02 at 07:08 PM.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Many of the suggestions have suggested using the numbered keys (1-0), when using these keys as your main keybinds, where is the best place to rest your hand, on the numbered keys, or on WASD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pvptutorial.com->video tutorials->keybindings. I'm serious. It's a great video and really opened my eyes when I watched it about a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    Many of the suggestions have suggested using the numbered keys (1-0), when using these keys as your main keybinds, where is the best place to rest your hand, on the numbered keys, or on WASD?
    Anything past 5 is not something you want to use unless your hands are very large, then 6 or 7 might be ok. Rest your fingers on wad and pinky on shift, thumb on space bar.
    Edit: @ Vaucent, google "caps lock control" or something similar, that's what I'm doing with it, but I suppose you could make it into alt. I don't really use it much, but caps lock is 100% useless and having an easier to hit control key is nice.
    Last edited by Sal; 2011-01-02 at 07:41 PM.

I have all my long CDs and less used spells on F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8

My most used spells are on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My side spells and used frequently spells I have on , . ; ' [ ] \ - =

I have very small hands but after 2-3 years of pvping I know were my fingers are about 95% of the time.

I have small hands but after many years of playing I can easily move my fingers around and know where they are about 90% of the time.
    I have a keypad but didn't use it because it was hard for me to get used to