Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Considering the risk of killing everyone in the plane, the iphone should be turned off or be taken by the crew by whatever mean nessescary to ensure safty. Surely slap, beating and so on would probably be uncessecary as they could simply have taken the phone from him without direct violence.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    In the meanwhile the smart people will be using Android, or any other OS phone.
    No, smart people will be using the dumbest phone they can find. Smart people do not need all the bells and whistles of "SMRT" phones today. The purpose of a phone is to communicate verbally to others. Not SMS, MMS, take photos/record film, check weather, email, grocery list, todo list, project list, itinerary, and every tweet/FB update about someone taking a crap that looks like the virgin mary slapping jesus with an apple. It has gotten out of hand.

The first thing I did when I left corporate IT was drop the damn SMRT phone and get a basic candy bar phone that does one thing I use... makes and receives phone calls.

~Rev

Enjoy your American Freedom (void where prohibited)
    Land of the Free*
    *Some conditions apply. See in-country for details. Void where prohibited. No cash value. Offer expires September 11, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendD View Post
    No, smart people will be using the dumbest phone they can find. Smart people do not need all the bells and whistles of "SMRT" phones today. The purpose of a phone is to communicate verbally to others. Not SMS, MMS, take photos/record film, check weather, email, grocery list, todo list, project list, itinerary, and every tweet/FB update about someone taking a crap that looks like the virgin mary slapping jesus with an apple. It has gotten out of hand.

The first thing I did when I left corporate IT was drop the damn SMRT phone and get a basic candy bar phone that does one thing I use... makes and receives phone calls.

~Rev
    Touche reverendD. Let me restate: The smart people who want a smartphone
    But nowadays it's damn near impossible to find a phone that can only send/recieve calls

This.

I remember once upon a time that when kids were out and about, whatever adult was around was aloud to take care of any issues regardless of who the kid belonged to. If my kids misbehaved and the neighbor/lifeguard/random passerby whipped their arse, then they got what they deserved. While there is a line between beating and punishment, that line was never crossed when I was a kid. All adults watched out for all children, and all children were taught to be respectful of people and property.

I was only spanked once by another adult that I lipped off to when I was a child. Haven't done it again.
    I was spanked once in school (please bring back corporal punishment) for inappropriate language to another student. Haven't done it again.

Respect is lacking these days.

~Rev
    lol, "back in the old days" there was no more respect than there is now. people may PRETEND like they respected this or that, but guys were fucking other guys wives, people were stealing from their churches and kids were talking shit just like they do now.

it was easier to get away with shit back then, parents were just as bad but there were fewer people to talk about it, and if a senile old guy slaps my kid today or tomorrow, i'm gonna end it all for him

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Munk View Post

There are too few details to say for sure but thats my take based on the given information.
    thing is, if you explained to the teenager WHY you need them to turn it off, it gets a hellova lot further than just saying
    TURN IT OFF
    TURN IT OFF

its boring shit

the old man shouldnt have been stupid enough to get violent with the kid, yeah, the kid might have pushed too far, but violence is never the answer, somethings gone wrong in that mans life if he hit a child because they didnt do what they were told, times change and so to parenting styles, that man had no right to hit that kid, i can guarantee if you approach them calmly and explain why, it would have been resolved.

~Rev
    a real old timer doesn't need a cell phone, you're conflicted by what you are and how you see yourself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SadisticChipmunk View Post
    Now you are insulting a generalized segment of people based on them having a piece of technology? Are you jealous? Did mommy not buy you your iPhone for Christmas this year?
    When i was 15 mommy didnt buy anything except for the clothes on my back and food for my stomach. Any video games/technology i had i only ever got for birthdays or Christmas, but when i was 15 i was also working while going to School during the day. I bought my own crap with my own hardearned money.

OP: I work in retail, everyday i see kids walking( or running) through my store tearing shit up and the parents do absoulutly nothing to stop them. My mother woulda knocked me into yesterday for doing something like that. Kids are getting off to easy (seeing as many parents are afraid to spank/punish their kids these days without going to jail)and their generation will have many A-holes in it im sure.
    Last edited by pepspice; 2010-12-29 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

and for the record, it's already been proven that interference from cell phones is not a logical issue

the FAA says the law errs on the side of safety because of POTENTIAL RISK DUE TO UNKNOWN EMISSIONS from these devices

so based on what we know, there is 0% chance that they interfere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop View Post
    lol, "back in the old days" there was no more respect than there is now. people may PRETEND like they respected this or that, but guys were fucking other guys wives, people were stealing from their churches and kids were talking shit just like they do now.

it was easier to get away with shit back then, parents were just as bad but there were fewer people to talk about it, and if a senile old guy slaps my kid today or tomorrow, i'm gonna end it all for him
    Yeah...because a little slap is CERTAINLY worth murdering the guy. *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2010-12-29 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pepspice View Post
    When i was 15 mommy didnt buy anything except for the clothes on my back and food for my stomach. Any video games/technology i had i only ever got for birthdays or Christmas, but when i was 15 i was also working while going to School during the day. I bought my own crap with my own hardearned money.

OP: I work in retail, everyday i see kids walking( or running) through my store tearing shit up and the parents do absoulutly nothing to stop them. My mother woulda knocked me into yesterday for doing something like that. Kids are getting off to easy (seeing as many parents are afraid to spank/punish their kids these days without going to jail)and their generation will have many A-holes in it im sure.
    if the parents did a good job with their kids 30 years ago, these parents wouldn't be so bad, you only have instinct and how you were raised when it comes to being a parent yourself

it's complete BS that things were ever "better", there were just fewer people, the population has doubled in the past 50 years

the mackem that said teenagers dig their heels in...that is the problem. reactionary I know my rights..I do what I want bs. anyone with that attitude was not raised correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    since there's probably a fairly good reason why they tell you to.
    Now hear the truth: There is actualy no reason to turn them off. GSM signal from mobile phone has NO influence on any vital electronic system of the plane. Not even a little.
    But it is still quite believable myth and it boosts income from on-board phones

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    \

Yeah...because a little slap is CERTAINLY worth murdering the guy. *rolls eyes*
    would you mess with a kid whose dad butchered and then ate part of a guy who slapped his kid? no you wouldn't.

you shouldn't have kids unless you're willing to protect them at all costs. a little crazy now saves a lot of trouble later. while you're trying to talk your way out of every situation and rev is off while some stranger spanks his kid, me and mine are gonna be perfectly fine
    Last edited by blizzardcashshop; 2010-12-29 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    would you mess with a kid whose dad butchered and then ate part of a guy who slapped his kid? no you wouldn't.
    Definitely not...I don't visit the jails or death row.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally disapprove of any kind of violence against kids, so the geezer was clearly in the wrong from my point of view. But the way I see it: The airplane is the domain of the ppl working there. Their domain, their rules. Got a problem with that? Go Interrailing.

Btw, why smack kids when there are so many other great punishments? I mean, they have tons of crap you can take a way for a day/week/until they behave, grounding works wonders(especially if you remove all kinds of "screen-related" entertainment from their room, allowance-cut, "No. You are NOT going to see the new Twilight movie today. Why? Because you called me a twat." Smacking is just a sign of lacking creativity imo^^

My personal fave is "Oh, you did something I told you NOT to do? Then have fun mowing our lawn for free this summer!"
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2010-12-29 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Internet has ruined my there/their! =(
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    thing is, if you explained to the teenager WHY you need them to turn it off, it gets a hellova lot further than just saying
    TURN IT OFF
    TURN IT OFF

its boring shit

the old man shouldnt have been stupid enough to get violent with the kid, yeah, the kid might have pushed too far, but violence is never the answer, somethings gone wrong in that mans life if he hit a child because they didnt do what they were told, times change and so to parenting styles, that man had no right to hit that kid, i can guarantee if you approach them calmly and explain why, it would have been resolved.
    If you're told by the operators of an aircraft, employed by the company that owns the aircraft, that you should turn your phone off, they sure as hell do not need to explain themselves to you. You do it, otherwise you are just being a rebellios little jerk for the sake of being rebellious. The situation wouldn't have escalated at all if he had simply done as he was instructed by the people in charge.

He chose to deny a perfectly acceptable request and caused the start of a confrontation. He can live without his damn phone for the duration of a flight.
    "The truth, my goal."

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    It's been proven that cell phones do not disrupt the planes systems.
    I agree. A friend and I tried this in his Socata TBM-700. Holding a cell phone about 2 inches from the compass caused it to spin -- obviously that would be a problem for the auto-pilot. Holding it any further than that had no discernible effect, and the inverse square law would ensure that a low-power device or magnet in the cabin area would not affect the instruments.

That said, the kid was still being a brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    TURN IT OFF
    TURN IT OFF

its boring shit
    Ok, you apparently miss the point.

You're in a plane.
    There is a rule ? You apply the rule.
    You forget about it ? A crew member will tell you to turn it off.
    You don't do it after many times ? You're a retard. (and an old man will high-kick your face !)

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Touche reverendD. Let me restate: The smart people who want a smartphone
    But nowadays it's damn near impossible to find a phone that can only send/recieve calls
    Agreed and Agreed. My phone is a basic model and it still does SMS and has a camera. Features I just do not use and wish I could remove. But not using them I guess is enough. I have to admit the camera phones do come in handy in the need to document something (accident, damage, etc).

lol I love starting out stories with old man intros, especially now that I have reached the age to do so. I guess I could restate that though. Yes, there was still disrespect among people, but it was among crowds of people (stoners, gangs, greasers, etc) and for the most part not an individual thing. In the present there are no longer "groups" of people who are known to be disrespectful as everyone (the term "everyone" is used loosely here) wants to be disrespectful individually.

As for pretending to be respectful, I do that for many of my customers and most of my past bosses. I was respectful of their wants, needs, how they did things, etc. That was because they were in a place of authority and I respect (for the most part) authority. Once their authority overstepped certain boundaries however that changes quickly for me. You cross my moral line and any respect I had for you, pretend or real, is lost. The catch however with respect, feigned or not, is in what you do. I can pretend to respect you but in pretending I am doing. Meaning I will not destroy your property or I will turn off my phone if you ask me too, regardless of my actual feelings. If I decide what your asking is not feasible than I will either A) explain why, B) leave if it is possible, or C) attempt to find another solution/compromise.

This goes along the lines of if you pretend you are happy, eventually you will think you are happy and you will actually be happy. Its a mind game. Also fits in with no one can make you feel bad without your permission.

~Rev

Enjoy your American Freedom (void where prohibited)
    Land of the Free*
    *Some conditions apply. See in-country for details. Void where prohibited. No cash value. Offer expires September 11, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Considering having an iphone turned on with "flight mode" enabled is of no threat to the radio system in a plane, that man is a fucktard and deserved this.
    Actally, all electronic devices must be off during taxis takeoff and landing.