Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New MoBo, Same GPU, No video.

Alright, I got a new Asus Motherboard, new 650W PSU, new 6-Core AMD processor, and some new DDR3 RAM. I plugged it all into the motherboard, no problem. When i turn it on however, I don't get any video on my monitor, all the fans are working fine, the LED lights on the motherboard are on, but the monitor isnt working, all it says is no signal. When I plug in the mouse/keyboard to the back of the motherboard, they dont work either because they dont light up like they should.

Anyone know whats going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

I had this problem with my new build, how many sticks of ram are you trying to boot up with? Mine would only boot the first time if I only had one stick in the primary slot. After you install your OS and get running, you should be able to put the rest of your sticks in fine.

Deleted
    Go into your BIOS, find the section re 'Integrated Peripherals' or 'Advanced Features' and make sure the on-board video is disabled. Sometimes there's no explicit option for this, but instead one for 'First VGA device,' or words to that effect. Make sure this is set to PCI-E and NOT onboard/integrated.

Good Luck!

EDIT - I assumed from your description that the computer was POSTing correctly, but Xaiji makes me think. Do you get a proper post code (usually a single short beep), and can you hear the hard drives spinning up properly?

maybe a little hard to get into the BIOS without video output, or at the very least hard to see what menus and options you're looking at.

OT: if you monitor has both analog and digital inputs, switch to the one it currently is not set on. It should be on digital for DVI connections, and analog for VGA connections. You should have a button on your monitor that says something like "Input" or "Anaglog/Digital" or something of the like. Try that.
    Last edited by Thancia; 2010-12-30 at 05:34 AM.

What graphics card is it? Make sure you are using BOTH power connectors that it comes with, if it has 2. I got a GTX 460 a little bit ago, and it requires you to use 6+6 pin power connectors, even though it doesn't use anywhere near that much.

And make sure you plug the monitor into the Graphics card, and not the onboard graphics on the motherboard, if it has any.

Deleted
    Oops. Yes, I tend to overlook that. Your motherboard itself most likely has a port for your monitor - try plugging it into that and seeing if it works. If so, proceed as above. Otherwise, Xaiji's point about RAM slots is the most likely culprit.

Try plugging your monitor onto a different port on your graphics card.

Remove all but CPU, one stick of memory (remove all and replace one), and the graphics card. Unplug all of your drives from the motherboard and PSU.

Remove any USB plugs that are going from your case (frontpanel connectors etc) to the motherboard.

Swap through your available memory sticks, trying different slots (your motherboard manual may say which order to use slots in).

If your motherboard doesn't have an onboard speaker for you to hear POST codes, plug your case speaker in. If you don't have one in your case, panic and run around waving your arms, preferably screaming or gibbering nonsenically.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    OK theres absolutely no video on my screen, cant go into the bios :P and my mbo doesnt have an integrated card. Ill try the one stick of ram, although its the same hdd as my old build with vista on it. The guy at best buy told me i dont need to reformat my hdd with the new mobo im getting so i didnt do that. Im pretty sure i can hear the hard drive spinning up though.
    "Rock Knocker"

Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    OK theres absolutely no video on my screen, cant go into the bios :P and my mbo doesnt have an integrated card. Ill try the one stick of ram, although its the same hdd as my old build with vista on it. The guy at best buy told me i dont need to reformat my hdd with the new mobo im getting so i didnt do that. Im pretty sure i can hear the hard drive spinning up though.
    What graphics card is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a gts450. It worked fine in my old build, same with the monitor. Just took out 1 stick of ram, nothing
    "Rock Knocker"

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Try plugging your monitor onto a different port on your graphics card.

Remove all but CPU, one stick of memory (remove all and replace one), and the graphics card. Unplug all of your drives from the motherboard and PSU.

Remove any USB plugs that are going from your case (frontpanel connectors etc) to the motherboard.

Swap through your available memory sticks, trying different slots (your motherboard manual may say which order to use slots in).

If your motherboard doesn't have an onboard speaker for you to hear POST codes, plug your case speaker in. If you don't have one in your case, panic and run around waving your arms, preferably screaming or gibbering nonsenically.
    Try all this. You can leave out the last part, if you must.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Try all this. You can leave out the last part, if you must.
    No luck D:
    "Rock Knocker"

Do you have the other power cable plugged in? You have the 24pin and there should be a 8pin(atleast on my mb) right near the CPU socket you gotta plug in as well. When I built my computer in Feb (asus mb also) I had everything in, the fans and lights all turned on yet no video signal. After some quick reading of the MB manual I noticed there are 2 "ATX power connectors" Plugged it in and everything started up ok.
    Last edited by Kupo; 2010-12-30 at 06:06 AM.

Deleted
    Might've fried your GPU while changing parts, static electricity(sp?) is a bitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
    Do you have the other power cable plugged in? You have the 24pin and there should be a 8pin(atleast on my mb) right near the CPU socket you gotta plug in as well. When I first built my computer in Feb (asus mb also) I had everything in, the fans and lights all turned on yet no video signal. After some quick reading of the MB manual I noticed there are 2 "ATX power connectors"
    Yea, they are right next to each other and they are both plugged in

---------- Post added 2010-12-30 at 06:19 AM ----------

And i had the antistatic wristband on, i couldnt have fried anything. Plus, the fan is still spinning on it. Also, none of my mice/keyboards are working because they arent lighting up. I dont think the mobo is fried because the lights on it are on.
    "Rock Knocker"

Deleted
    If your keyb ain't working either, I'd go with broken MB. They can already be broken when you buy 'em, wouldn't be the first time. You might wanna swap it for new one if it doesn't start working soon

Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    Yea, they are right next to each other and they are both plugged in
    What MB do you have? I just looked at ~15 Asus AM3 MB's and they all have a 24pin on the side below the ram and a 4 or 8pin connector near the CPU socket near the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking bullshit. Just my luck...

---------- Post added 2010-12-30 at 06:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
    What MB do you have? I just looked at ~15 Asus AM3 MB's and they all have a 24pin on the side below the ram and a 4 or 8pin connector near the CPU socket near the top.
    Asus M4A87TD EVO.
    Last edited by dranx; 2010-12-30 at 06:36 AM.
    "Rock Knocker"

yes, depending on the age of the mobo it is completely possible. take out the cpu ram everything, make sure you have the mobo speaker connected, then add in parts 1 by one to see if there's a beep error you may not be hearing.

also how much power is your power supply pushing, alot of dual cores run 60-80w whereas the 6 core if i remeber is 125+. if your running anything under a 650-750w psu that might acct for all your issues

No weapon has ever settled a moral problem. It can impose a solution but it cannot guarantee it to be a just one.

well if the processor socket is wrong it shouldnt boot at all, i dont think thats what youre problem is. bro your friend into letting him test your video card to eliminate that from the equation. if that does work, use it to explore your bios and write down steps and do what johnmegdla suggested blind.