1. #1

    New Computer for work, will I be able to run WoW and Amnesia just fine?

    Sup guys.

    I scored an internship with a video company and Im buying a new Mac since I need to be able to run Final Cut Studios and render 3d models. As such, Ive decided to go with a Mac Pro for its efficiency. However, I do also enjoy gaming on the spare time I have, so I wanted to know if these computer specs will be enough to run WoW and Amnesia on close to Ultra settings, without sacrificing FPS. Of course Id compromise graphic quality for a smoother play through, but I want opinions on whether or not this computer build can hack it.

    Im looking at:
    Mac Pro 8 Core
    - Two 2.4ghz Quad Core Xeon Westmere Processors (8 core, 16 virtual cores)
    - 6 GB of DDR3 ECC SDRAM
    -Radeon HD 5770, but I might upgrade to a 5870 seeing as how its only 200 more bucks

    How am I looking?

  2. #2
    Should be fine on ultra. Note that the Mac Pro (iirc) is a server-like system. But since you also want 3d-rendering it will probably be good for you.
    Kami - Guild Wars 2 Elementalist - Desolation EU
    <Obey Gaming> - https://obeygaming.com/

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Asera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Posts
    3,740
    5770 would be fine. I wouldn't waste $200 upgrading to a card that's SUPPOSED to be only ~$100 more.
    Node 304 | i7 3770 | H77N WIFI | 2x4GiB HyperX 1600 | 2x512GB MX100 | MSI GTX970 4GiB | U2711 | 6GV2 | Naga Hex Wrath | Yamaha RX-V550 | Win8.1 Pro
    15" Retina MBP | i7 4960HQ | 16GiB 1600 | 512GB PCIe SSD | IRIS Pro + GT750M | G700S | OSX 10.10

  4. #4
    I cringed when I read that they force you to use Apple products. I can feel your pain man. Must hurt to waste such potential and throw down precious hardware down the drain.

    Well, as long as you have those horrible shadows disabled and keep antialiasing at 2x and antisotropic filtering below 8x a toaster can run WoW on ultra. WoW's is pretty much the least graphic intense popular MMO after runescape.

    If you run it on a mac you have to count in about 50% less FPS on every game in existence. If it should lag, just run WoW on medium and have only the view distance maxed out. There's really not that much difference between the lowest settings with max view distance and ultra.
    Last edited by g3xter; 2010-12-30 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typos

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by g3xter View Post
    I cringed when I read that they force you to use Apple products. I can feel your pain man. Must hurt to waste such potential and throw down precious hardware down the drain.
    .
    Like it or not Macs are superior to windows for just about every artistic task.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by denominator View Post
    Like it or not Macs are superior to windows for just about every artistic task.
    Last I checked 3DSM, solid works, maya and any other major 3D modeling software was licensed to run on Windows only. The fact that you were lucky enough to get a photoshop port for mac does not make the operating system "artistic". And neither does some crappy mac exclusive cutting software.

    And when it comes to rendering - I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would EVER want to use a UNIX based system instead of a linux cluster for 3D rendering or encoding.

    Add to the fact that you could build a rig yourself with better components while STILL paying less than for a mac. Apple hardware and software is legal scam. I can hear Steve laughing from here.

  7. #7
    The Patient LoithFrostmane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the basement
    Posts
    256
    It sounds like you want to buy a laptop to play games on Ultra and if you can't play them on ultra you will spend more money so you can....
    What is that? if you got a good enough laptop for rendering movies or whatever, if you can play WoW on normal. Wouldn't that be sufficient? just the fact that you can game with the laptop should be enough tho.

    Anyways, back on topic:
    I wouldn't recommend playing on Ultra on a laptop.
    Things tend to heat up when you play games on max... and i think you DO know that laptops dont have the best cooling/Airflow?
    Just a heads up for that , heat can kill your laptop easily!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by LoithFrostmane View Post
    It sounds like you want to buy a laptop to play games on Ultra and if you can't play them on ultra you will spend more money so you can....
    What is that? if you got a good enough laptop for rendering movies or whatever, if you can play WoW on normal. Wouldn't that be sufficient? just the fact that you can game with the laptop should be enough tho.

    Anyways, back on topic:
    I wouldn't recommend playing on Ultra on a laptop.
    Things tend to heat up when you play games on max... and i think you DO know that laptops dont have the best cooling/Airflow?
    Just a heads up for that , heat can kill your laptop easily!
    Are you aware that the Mac pro is not a laptop?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •