Thread: FPS game

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FPS game

Hi,

I don't have an xbox nor ps3. I've never played an FPS before either. I am getting really interested in playing them (all the way to competitively), though. That's why I want to buy a FPS game for the computer.

I want the game to be good and skillful. I plan on becoming a good FPS player.

Recommendations?

Also, let me know how fun it is in comparison to an xbox/ps3. I really like mouse control a lot better than the xbox and ps3 controller, yet I never hear my friends talk about fps games on the computer.
    Last edited by Jr; 2010-12-30 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Team Fortress 2... start there.

Counter Strike: Source
    Trying to play GW2 like you played WoW is like trying to play Chess using a Checkers strategy.
    -----
    Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Well, i'd recommend Call of Duty: Black Ops, or Battlefield Bad Company 2. I have both of these games, and i have to say, that they are eating loads of my time. Black Ops is more of a action packed game, whilst in Bad Company 2 teamwork and tactical thinking is involved. Also, Bad Company 2 is on big maps, while Black Ops maps are fairly small.

Ultimately, it's up to what you want to do. If you are more of a lone wolf, then Black Ops. Want teamwork? go for BC 2.

Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck
    If they do incorporate Worgen and Goblins as playable races it will be the last straw. I've let my children play this (somewhat evil) game in my Christian household for long enough. These changes will bring a whole new level of evil and Satanism that I can't stand by and let my kids experience. I will be cancelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayl View Post
    I hear a lot about counter strike and the fact it's competitive and fun. What do you think of this? How are the graphics? Anything else to add?

10+ Year Old Account
    Start with Team Fortress 2. It's a bit different then most FPS games because of the classes, however its a ton of fun once you find a class you like. Once you get pretty good at TF2, try more streamline FPS games like Counter Strike: Source. Some people say that the Call of Duty games aren't half bad either, however I've yet to find anything good about them.

counter strike is quite old game.. but graphic is still nice,and its a REAL fun and entertaining game

if you're into RPG you can go with borderlands.. its RPFPS and its really really easy to pick up and challenging without being too hard

Quote Originally Posted by Jr View Post
    I hear a lot about counter strike and the fact it's competitive and fun. What do you think of this? How are the graphics? Anything else to add?
    Graphics aren't the best because its quite old, but in terms of actual FPS without all this perk and class bollocks that you see in most games today, its one of the best out there, and its super cheap. Got mine on steam a few years ago like like £10-15.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck
    If they do incorporate Worgen and Goblins as playable races it will be the last straw. I've let my children play this (somewhat evil) game in my Christian household for long enough. These changes will bring a whole new level of evil and Satanism that I can't stand by and let my kids experience. I will be cancelling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdx View Post
    Well, i'd recommend Call of Duty: Black Ops, or Battlefield Bad Company 2. I have both of these games, and i have to say, that they are eating loads of my time. Black Ops is more of a action packed game, whilst in Bad Company 2 teamwork and tactical thinking is involved. Also, Bad Company 2 is on big maps, while Black Ops maps are fairly small.

Ultimately, it's up to what you want to do. If you are more of a lone wolf, then Black Ops. Want teamwork? go for BC 2.
    I would only go for BFBC2, however given it's attention by the public, I wouldn't try going competitive into it.

It's not a new game, but it still has alot of competition in it (my brother plays it competitively), and that is Call of Duty 4.
    It is only competitive for Computer mind you, because there is a ProMod on there that is, actually, made for pro's and is used in competitions that award vast amounts of money if you win.

Then again, that was 4 years ago, however you can still probably get there if you work at it

- H

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Team Fortress 2... start there.
    This^ this^ and This^

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    theres no better fps game than unreal tournament or ut2k4

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as you edited your OP, keyboard/mouse controls are much better for FPS games as they allow for "twitch" mechanics and quick reactions. Consoles using controllers have a set rotation of your avatar and the reticule moves at a rate that doesn't allow for twitching.

Deleted
    CounterStrike Source.

So many different games modes it's stupid.

Deleted
    Hi! I'm a dedicated mapper for the Half-life series and I can tell you this is the BEST place to start.

Be it singleplayer or multiplayer - Whatever you're looking for Valve have it.

I highly recommend the entire Half-Life Series, 1 through to Half-life 2 Episode 2 (Including Blue Shift and Opposing force.) And Portal and Garrys Mod (Gmod is a hybrid Singleplayer and Multiplayer. I map for this primarily. Working on something called Ghosthunt atm.)

Multiplayer - Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike. CSS is good if you want to die for hours on end until you develop elite skills, and TF2 is a fantastic laugh.

(I am a walking Valve software encyclopedia, you literally have no idea how much irrelevent crap I know about Half-life. Nerdy as hell.)

Other games - Battlefield is great Especially the Bad Company series these accomodate both multiplayer and singleplayer areas but its mainly a multiplayer game. You seriously can't miss these games, fantastic battles. Nothing like Modern Lolfare.

Call of Duty is cool don't get me wrong, single player rocks, but the multiplayer community is almost as bad as WoW's. Still try it out if you think it'l float yer boat.

Good hunting!

Deleted
    He said competitive..
    Ignore the Borderlands comment.

Bad Company 2 is a good game but there is no competitive support.
    Call of Duty Black Ops will be alright, but it still needs several patches yet and it currently does not have mod support; no promod = no matches.

If you want a popular game, that has competitive support right now.. then I would recommend you the best Call of Duty which is:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the most recent game that succeeded and still succeeds with the competitive players.
    Counterstrike and Counterstrike:Source are also two other very popular games, for public and matches, however they are old and for someone new like yourself, I think you would find Call of Duty 4 more fun.

Avoid Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (At all costs!) Do not purchase that game. It is the worst COD out of the lot. No competitive support, No console, no rcon, no dedicated servers, no nothing.
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is the latest COD, It is pretty good. Has lots of bugs and performance issues still though and Treyarch have promised us Mod support, but at the moment its yet to be seen. Due to this, if you want purely for matches/competitive. I would say avoid Black Ops also.

So there you are:
    I started gaming with FPS in 1999 with Counterstrike, completely avoided Counterstrike: Source after my initial try of it (Such a mockery to the original), I then moved onto Battlefield2, Call of Duty 4, Bad Company 2 & Now Black Ops.

My favourite of all time mainly due to memories as I played it for 6 years straight is Counterstrike (NOT SOURCE). Then probably Battlefield 2.
    Right now, I do not like Black Ops. I prefer playing Bad Company 2 today.... Its fun, but only fun unfortunately. Matches just do not happen.

So from a very experienced FPS player, I recommend to you:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (This for your competitive and serious playing)

If you got a few spare bucks, get yourself Bad Company 2 aswel.. but that you wont be playing matches with that one.. Although its very very fun aslong as you dont suck.... if you suck, any game is bad.

BRING ON BATTLEFIELD 3!!!!! Q4 2011 Expected date. Possibly Q1 or Q2 2012 at the latest!

(To the noobs: No. Battlefield 3 is NOT Bad Company 3. Bad Company is not a Battlefield.)
    Last edited by mmoc33d7825698; 2010-12-30 at 05:42 PM.

team fortress 2, the end.
    Originally Posted by Archer
    I wanted to make the front door look like a warlock summoning portal, but my wife said something about the neighbors thinking we worship the devil.. or something along those lines. Either way I was told no

Deleted
    any of the valve games is a good start for sure, they pretty much cover all bases
    team fortress (zany original VS)
    half life (sci fi )
    counter strike (swat style, VS)
    portal (fps puzzle game)

unreal tournament etc are also goodm
    borderlands is an ok rpfps game, cool if u rly rly like guns
    personally i love zombie games, so ofc i have to recommend L4D2, survival co-op

good time to buy a new game aswell, with steam having theire sale

Deleted
    COD4: http://store.steampowered.com/app/7940/
    BC2: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24960/

Stick around though, until 2nd Jan. Either or maybe both if your lucky, could make it to the Daily Deal list for super cheap price.

Team Fortress 2. Life isn't all about winning and being superior. It's about hats and funny noises. Stay awake for 24-30 hours then play Team Fortress 2. You'll develop a great smile and abs of steel and be extremely happy.