Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Regen in combat and mana pool

Hi,

I'am playing holy/disc priest since wotlk. Since Cataclysm, I have trouble with mana and regen, in both spec, in 5 player dungeons (non heroic). I theoretically reach ilvl for heroic dungeon but at this time, i don't think that i can heal 5 player group.

My current stat as holy priest is :
    Int : 3078
    Spirit : 1127
    Mana regen (in fight) : 1970
    Sp : 4600

May be i must work and learn more on how to heal in cata as holy priest, but at this time, I would like to know what is (approx) the base stat for starting dungeons, heroic or not.
    As you know, ilvl doesn't mean "you can" depending gemming, enchanting, stat,...

So, what are the minimum intel (or mana pool) and Mana regen in fight must we reach before going in dungeons.

Thanks.

I would say you are a little low. Once you get to the require ilvl 329 to enter heroics, you are likely ready though. After being decked out in heroic gear, I hit a little above 6k spellpower and around 1800 spirit. Keep in mind though, the heroic ilvl requirement is going to be a little on the low side if you haven't enchanted your gear properly - it's a very bad requirement as such.

If you want to gear up quickly, go through some halls of originations. There is a lot of gear in that place that fits a healing priest, and there are lots of bosses to boot .

you're spirit is really really low, my shadow spec has 40% more spi than you, try to reforge crit and haste into spi if you item doesn't have spi on it, socket your blues with int/spi.

i don't know how you only have like 1100 spirit, but that's you're problem. i had like 1600 from quest greens and normal dungeon blues

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chess View Post
    Spirit : 1127.
    That right there is your main problem, if you could provide an armory link maybe we can help you a little more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would mostly just get your spirit up a bit. At the moment it might be a bit hard, but heroics should be doable with a good group. Maybe run a few more Halls of Originations. Be sure to gem and enchant your gear before doing heroics, that can help a lot as well.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2010-12-30 at 07:40 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    If I understand, stat to reach for normal "high" dongeons (84/85) and start heroic can be (unbuff) :

A base of 1600/1700 spirit -> mana regen around 2700 in fight
    A mana pool of 80K

I got a lot of mastery, about 14.90. May be it's too much and need to reforging to spirit (10% - 12% seem to be enough for start).

To all, many thanks for help.

Until you're raid geared, you absolutely need to have spirit on every piece of gear. If you don't reforge and try to find replacement pieces. 1.1k spirit is about what I had at level 80, so I'm guessing you're missing quite a few pieces with spirit.
    Last edited by Kalmah; 2010-12-30 at 10:18 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aim for over 2k in heroics, I find 2k to be ok more of cause is way better 1127 is rather low.
    Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

Considering Holy priests were topping the amount of spirit you had pre-4.0, that should say something right there. 2k spirit is a good number to shoot for in either healing spec as others have said.

You don't need a big mana pool. I started heroics at 65k mana, but I had alot of spirit. It was smooth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spirit > Mana pool untill a certain point. In a boss fight spirit is going to give you more mana than stacking int will.

Some replies here is correct, others isn't.

First of all, as some states: Your spirit is quite low, this can easly be solved by reforging crit into spirit (assuming that there's no spirit on the piece already, then you can't.), if there's no crit on the piece, then reforge haste to it incase you can afford it, which you should by this point as your current goal is to go for the regen and not the throughput.

Spirit on every piece is absolutely not neccesary, i recall me having 5~ pieces without spirit on them (static) which i reforged some spirit to when i did HC's, and it worked perfectly fine, even my first heroic when i reached then ilvl requirement i found it really easy to heal and of course rather fun.

Don't worry about your manapool too much by this point, you'll get it as you get further with the gear progression, your first goal is to adapt to the current healing and make use of the different healing tools that you got, as Holy your primary go-to spell will be Heal, while being in Heal Chakra, Greater Heal if really needed (i.e tank dropping to a point where throwing a heal might result in a death), if his too low and you're not sure if a Greater heal will finish a cast before he dies, then Flash heal 1-2 times and then greater heal and he should be back up to where you can start using Heal again.

Obviously use Prayer of Healing on AOE fights where everyone in the group is taking severe damage, but keep in mind: For Cata, you're not going to keep others then tank topped off at all times, unless it's required for the fight, should be fine with keeping them at 75~ ish % HP, this is where most people fail right now, they panic and top people off, then they run OOM and it's GG.

As you can see in my sig, i'm not running with that much Spirit myself, 2284 and i'm doing perfectly fine both in and outside of raids, in 5-mans i never have to drink at all obviously.
    Last edited by Chitzu; 2010-12-31 at 08:30 AM.

Hmm, i find these comments quite contradictionairy with my priest!
    My average itemlevel is 342, i have only spirit gear, and i am running at 2636 Spirit, 3658 Int and at 5,9k SP
    Is my spirit too high? 11.12 Holy mastery= 559 mastery rating.
    Thanks!.

EDIT: My mana regen is 3695 out of combat and 3429 In combat.
    Originally Posted by spicie View Post
    Real Life is just an illusion caused by lack of WoW

Deleted
    As most have said your spirit seems to be the problem, I mean my priest is in average ilvl 256 gear still waiting his turn to be leveled from 80 and I got more spirit than you do at 85..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgabear View Post
    Hmm, i find these comments quite contradictory with my priest!
    My average itemlevel is 342, i have only spirit gear, and i am running at 2636 Spirit, 3658 Int and at 5,9k SP
    Is my spirit too high? 11.12 Holy mastery= 559 mastery rating.
    Thanks!.

EDIT: My mana regen is 3695 out of combat and 3429 In combat.
    Well, if you feel that you have too much mana regen for the content you run (I felt like that in heroics), try reforging some spirit into haste or mastery. If you consistently end boss fights with more than 50% mana left, you probably have too much.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I'm at 2600+ Spirit right now and I start having that feeling that I reached some kind of soft cap. Not sure what the maximum is that I should get, but since 2.5k+ it just doesn't seem to be worth putting more into it, since I rarely use cooldowns on heroic bosses already, even if people screw up slightly.

Does anyone have any idea of "maximum spirit" you should get before focusing on other stats?

"maximum" spirit varies from fight to fight, attempt to attempt, and group composition, etc.

I like to call it a "regen-cap", where you feel you're at now. There are no rock-solid numbers for this, only what we know and tweak to learn from after. You actually have a bit more than me, before I flask, but that's not the point.

The point is: Do you have enough mana to comfortably make it through an encounter? Yes. Could some of your excess be put towards better throughput gear? Absolutely.

Min/maxing from a healer's standpoint is very much "eyeballing" because you can't really spreadsheet healing, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

What Kelesti said.

What others do and how they do it with their gear is to a certain extent not important, why?

Cause there's a 99.9% chance that there will be a difference between the both of you on how much mana you spend and on what you spend it, hence why it's so important that you're tailoring the stats for your needs, there's a number of factors to take into account when you gear/Reforge/gem.

Some of those factors being: got 6 or 7 healers? How's their throughput? How's their mana regen? What's their assignments and most importantly, what's your setup?

In certain setups your mana will be drained more then others, but overall, try out by balancing your stats between regen and Throughput, i'm still not done tweaking mine and i've raided since the first week of Cata.

I'm sitting at 2265 spirit and 4295 int.

Running through instances and quests I would only take up spirit gear. I just recently started using non spirit pieces for the healing set.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ezili/advanced