Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Some thoughts regarding the Emerald Dream, Old Gods and the Re-Origination Device

Well, I was having a conversation with this friend today. We were discussing Halls of Origination, the tie-in with Ulduar and Algalon and then the Emerald Dream surfaced.

Let me put it this way:

What's the Emerald Dream? We know it's a "blueprint" of Azeroth. Someone might say a "back-up copy" of its original state.

Now, let's think about Algalon and the temple of Uldum. The Observer wanted to send Reply Code Omega, and activate the device. We prevented this at Ulduar. And later on, Deathwing wanted to gain control over it through Schnotzz (sp?). We prevented the armageddon once again thanks to Brann Bronzebeard.

Next point (apparently unrelated, but keep reading): Why is N'zoth corrupting the Emerald Dream? It does has it significance, granted. Ysera controls the flow of nature from this place and everything, but what if there's something more behind that?

Well, here's the interesting part. Since Deathwing (ergo, the Old Gods) wants to gain control over the Re-Origination device to reshape the world (someone might say, its original state. Maybe using a certain back-up copy to reinstall all the "data" into the world), you can relate that to the Nightmare's corruption. Corruption as in data corruption.

I don't want to elaborate much more on this, I just think that this makes sense. What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    This is too confusing to me >.>
    Maybe the old gods want to destroy azeroth so they can use the emerald dream backup system and make it real azeroth. Reason being, in the emerald dream, all old gods are alive. Depending on when the titans created the dream, the old gods may be chained there or free. Maybe the old gods on azeroth right now are gettin cold tentacles, want to start over... I dont know, im jsut rambling now...

My guess, is the old gods are physically trapped in the emerald dream some where and the corruption is just a way of shutting it down so they can escape.

I'm sure some lore junky knows the answer of course and blow my answer out the window lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    This is too confusing to me >.>
    Maybe the old gods want to destroy azeroth so they can use the emerald dream backup system and make it real azeroth. Reason being, in the emerald dream, all old gods are alive. Depending on when the titans created the dream, the old gods may be chained there or free. Maybe the old gods on azeroth right now are gettin cold tentacles, want to start over... I dont know, im jsut rambling now...
    I think it's a little bit confusing, but you have to think of Azeroth as a computer/hard disk. Backup initial data -> proceed to use, load extra data etc, until it gets corrupted -> format -> copy old data again (Titans are very computer-themed even).

And the fact that the Old Gods might be in a different state in the Emerald Dream is a very good reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
    I think it's a little bit confusing, but you have to think of Azeroth as a computer/hard disk. Backup initial data -> proceed to use, load extra data etc, until it gets corrupted -> format -> copy old data again (Titans are very computer-themed even).

And the fact that the Old Gods might be in a different state in the Emerald Dream is a very good reason.
    Thats not the confusing part. Nothing about old gods or emerald dream confuse me as of current lore, I know it like the back of my hand.

Thats not the confusing part. Nothing about old gods or emerald dream confuse me as of current lore, I know it like the back of my hand.
    Yeah, I supposed that. Anyway, what's the confusing part then? I for one think this idea makes a lot of sense (and not just because it is mine).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I supposed that. Anyway, what's the confusing part then? I for one think this idea makes a lot of sense (and not just because it is mine).
    With my first post in the thread, that was the only way i could make sense of it, otherwise, why would the old gods want to destroy azeroth? They require azeroth to live, they are parasites that need a host. Destroying that host would mean death soon after. Are you sure deathwing wanted the re-orginization device and not something else?

With my first post in the thread, that was the only way i could make sense of it, otherwise, why would the old gods want to destroy azeroth? They require azeroth to live, they are parasites that need a host. Destroying that host would mean death soon after. Are you sure deathwing wanted the re-orginization device and not something else?
    http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28292

I'm sure.

Don't ask me why they want to destroy Azeroth, but there's this thing called Cataclysm. It's said that the Old Gods are behind that (using a big dragon named Deathwing of course). Anyway, I think their ultimate goal is to reshape things to their image. Corruption of titanic creations can be tanken as evidence of that. Nobody said that the Re-Origination would kill the Old Gods. Not if they do the right thing in the Emerald Dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the old gods were imprisoned by the titans though? Not put in the emerald dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Svn View Post
    I thought the old gods were imprisoned by the titans though? Not put in the emerald dream.
    The question is if they were in Azeroth after of before the creation of the Emerald Dream.

15+ Year Old Account
    The question is if they were in Azeroth after of before the creation of the Emerald Dream.
    They were, the whole reason the titans imprisoned them was because of the curse of flesh on Earthen v1, which became troggs as a resault

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that the Old Gods would care about restoring the world to the original state beyond the fact that it would kill everything trying to keep them chained up. They'd just gotten the world they way they liked it before the Titans appeared and ruined their good time - if anything, they'd want to remake the world into what it was before the Emerald Dream even existed.

The puzzle box of Yogg-Saron whispers 'All things have souls. All souls can be devoured.' If the Dream is the 'soul' of Azeroth, the corruption of the Old Gods there is likely just the attempt of one of them having a go at eating Azeroth's soul.

I'm not saying that they want to revert Azeroth to version 1.0, but they want to make their own hacked and twisted version of the Emerald Dream real. That's my point. You don't even need to think about them being in the dream in a different state, just think in the freedom to work they have there, without petty mortals interfering with their work (well, maybe some dragons and an occasional druid, but what's that versus the Horde + Alliance + whoever wants to beat the shit out of them?).

10+ Year Old Account
    The way i see it, in the computer terms you were saying, corrupt original file (corruption of Emerald Dream by N'zoth), delete current file (Algalon order, Deathwing in Uldum), revert to original file (now corrupted), Current file is now exactly how you want it ( all old gody and stuffs, (I can imagine more weird tentacles than... I'll leave it at that))

Wouldn't it be cool if there were multiple versions of the emerald dream?
    If the emerald dream we're talking about is really a "Back up" of the original Azeroth, wouldn't it be smart to have multiple back ups, in case it got corrupted or something?

Well you could say that they want us all back to our default programing since we are rebelling against them. It could be their way to keep the process going of constant food without it fighting back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithrowmagicz View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if there were multiple versions of the emerald dream?
    If the emerald dream we're talking about is really a "Back up" of the original Azeroth, wouldn't it be smart to have multiple back ups, in case it got corrupted or something?
    There are different "layers" as mentioned in Stormrage, it was confusing, but some parts of these older layers had "data" missing, for example a side of a mountain would be missing.

I think that when the reorigination process is done, it reverts azeroth back into basic elements, like Hydrogen and Carbon, not reverting it back to what it was before sentient beings intervened, seeing as the titans did not create Azeroth it makes more sense that they would create a device as a sort of kill switch, I think the Old Gods, however do not need a planet to live and they're simply chained to it. Maybe if Azeroth is reoriginated they would be able to avoid the process with their power and escape into the great dark beyond.

Deleted
    maybe huge changes to the dream would cause the reset to take those changes into account? not necessarily corruption, but more "Imma blast a HUGE hole right here"
    so, say this could be N'zzoth's plan

1. corrupt dream as a diversion and possibly for fun
    2. make HUGE holes in the locations that correspond with old god prisons
    3. get deathwing to press the reset button
    4. azeroth shattering kaboom
    5. azeroth remade from the "amended" blueprints
    6. old god's simply step (or whatever the tentacle nightmare beast equivalent of "step" is) out of the huge holes
    7. old god tea party of twisted souls

(edit: do the old gods need azeroth? I thought it was the other way round, they're part of the planet's structure and so the planet would be destroyed if they were gone)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamG3691 View Post
    maybe huge changes to the dream would cause the reset to take those changes into account? not necessarily corruption, but more "Imma blast a HUGE hole right here"
    so, say this could be N'zzoth's plan

1. corrupt dream as a diversion and possibly for fun
    2. make HUGE holes in the locations that correspond with old god prisons
    3. get deathwing to press the reset button
    4. azeroth shattering kaboom
    5. azeroth remade from the "amended" blueprints
    6. old god's simply step (or whatever the tentacle nightmare beast equivalent of "step" is) out of the huge holes
    7. old god tea party of twisted souls

(edit: do the old gods need azeroth? I thought it was the other way round, they're part of the planet's structure and so the planet would be destroyed if they were gone)
    Azeroth need the old gods, thats for sure, but since parasites need a host, im geussing they need azeroth aswell, but maybe they cant just fly into space after azeroth is destroyed :-\ who knows

Deleted
    What I wonder is what the Old Gods were up to back before the Titans came. As far as I can tell, the planet was nothing more than lava and rocks and Old Gods and elementals right? But what did they do? Did they just sit there going "everything is so ugly and ruined, it's PERFECT" or what? I get what they're trying to do now, reshape the world to how it was then... but then what? What drives them?