[Music] How do you manage singing while playing?

Hello fellow WoW'ers & musicians.

I play the bass. And I also try to sing. Usually, both separately or just doing small singing on the chorus of the songs. However, I've recently tried to sing a whole song while also playing the bass and it's really hard for me to coordinate both things at the same time. I can easily sing and play on songs with linear basslines and easy ones, however, on songs that require some tempo I fail hard. Even songs like Seven Nations Army seem difficult, for instance. So, I'm wondering, how do you guys manage to sing while also playing an instrument? Some tips would be appreciated. D:

I've been wondering this myself, as a mediocre guitarist and okay drummer. I've never really been able to sing that much on the more difficult songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudosavior View Post
    I've been wondering this myself, as a mediocre guitarist and okay drummer. I've never really been able to sing that much on the more difficult songs.
    Pretty much the same, except I'm an awful bassist. I'm not THAT bad, been playing for an year and a half, but my technical skills aren't exactly good. However, even on very easy songs I mess up if I try to sing a full song whilst playing.

1. Slow down the tempo.
    2. Practise a section at a time.
    3. Then gradually speed it up.
    4. Now try seperate sections at normal tempo.
    5. If you got that try to do the whole song. If it's still too diffucult go back to #1

Stood in the Fire BallsofThunder's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would imagine you could study the methods of a great musician who does play an instrument and sing, take Levon Helm for example, or Rick Danko.

Not sure though.
    "Do you have a boyfriend?"
    "No."
    "Do you want one?"
    "Uhh.. No?"
    "Cause you see, I like to have a girlfriend from each state."
    "Do you know their names?"
    "Oh I call them by numbers, 25 is the best, shes got it going on."

i wish i knew the secret. I can sing over something ive recorded, but i cannot sing whilst playing it in real time, albiet, none of my jams are really "singable".