Talking Archaeology help needed!

I've recently started archaeology (currently 260) and I wonder what happens once I solve all the items for a specific race?
    And what happens when I solve all of them?
    So far I've not had to solve the same item more than once, but the archaeology tab is telling me information about how many times I've solved each item, why is that?
    Am I just very lucky that I've not had to make the same item twice yet?
    Can one "finish" his archaeology profession by solving all the items?

I hope you understand these questions, thanks in advance, happy new year

15+ Year Old Account
    You are just being lucky that your not getting the same ones, the profession can never be finished. Once you find all the rares you will just get greys endlessly : )

You can make an common item multiple times. You could make Jade Asp with ruby eyes 15 times for example.

it's how the profession works.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I'm assuming that sometime in the future they will expand to give you something of the common or even uncommon level that might be of value and consumable in some way so you're encouraged to keep using Archaeology. As it is now once you learn everything from superior up you just get junk. There is that mystery icon where they are hinting at something new to be added but no one knows for sure what it will be yet.

And of note, once you get the Fossilised Hatchling and Fossilised Raptor (whatever the mounts called) you can just save up your fossil frags. Past those two things there isn't anything else to be had from them but that could change in the future.

Nothing happens hwen you solve all the items for a specific race other than whatever personal satisfaction you take from the act of doing so.

You will never repeat a rare item, but you can repeat a common item. IMO it does try to give you commons that you've not yet completed once, though people will argue against that. You must be aware that even commons have archaeology skill requirements. If you've done all the commons that a 1-75 archaeology skilled person can get for the night elfs, then you're going to get repeats. If you don't do any night elf artifact solving until you're max skill, you shouldn't repeat any commons until you've obtained all of their commons.

You can finish the profession by solving all available items yes. There are 108 common (grey) items and 26 rare (blue or purple) items. You can still farm up fragments though and endlessly solve common artifacts until your eyes bleed.

It is not uncommon to have no repeats at such low level of skill if you dig up different races and not just spam one for skills and save the others for 450+ epics.
    You can zoom through outland with no repeats too. Not the northrend though - vrykuls practically invoke "if you spam one race" rule.
    And when you continue farming in Azeroth, you surely will get tons of repeats of commons.

And also I'll repeat advice: when you've got all rares (or all the rares you specifically want) from the specific race, save the fragments. Blizz said that they made the prof easy to expand so they are likely will.
    Last edited by Weerra; 2010-12-31 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks for all your replies guys, does anyone know if there is a limit to how many fragments one can have? Is there a cap like Justice points, Valor points, etc?

there is no "fragment cap" that I know of...

all I can say is that I currently have 5668 (useless) elve fragment, and that it keeps growing when I dig more fragment, so don't worry about any "limit"

Ah okay thanks
    Last edited by Morrana; 2011-01-01 at 01:50 AM.