Obtaining Max DPS from Combustion/ignite (questions)

Hello,

I am currently having trouble with using combustion properly. Now, I cannot completely site my sources, but I have read that combustion needs to be used with the Pryo DoT, LB, and Ignite up on the target. I do this, however, my combustion numbers are constantly wacky; one combustion will tick for 2.4k, and another will tick for 5k or 5.8k. Now I understand there may be some ignite munching going on, which leads me to part of my question(s): when should I really be using combustion considering all of the variables?

One very obvious issue on target dummies, and even in current raid environments, is actually trying to get a pyro proc. I've gone 10 seconds without one, and I've gone well over a minute without one. In a case like this, is there a set time that I should be waiting for before I just use combustion and settle for ignite and living bomb?

Also, considering ignite munching and trying to avoid it as best as possible, I'd really appreciate it if you guys can tell me if this sounds like the correct way to approach ignite munching:

HS procs on the target with ignite going and LB with 8 seconds remaining while spamming fireball; at this point, is using a scorch and then the pyro a good option (of course followed by combustion)? Also . . .

HS procs with only 3 seconds left on LB while casting fireball. Fireball cast finishes and then I cast scorch to fill the gap instead of waiting for LB to fall off and then blow pyro with a new living bomb followed with combustion. Is this correct as well?

In addition to all of this.. I'd really appreciate it if someone knows of all the scenarios in which we should never cast pyroblast to avoid the ignite munching, i.e. casting fireball followed with pyro, or casting pyro right before living bomb explodes.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Yes I'm using an addon similar to CombustionHelper. I'm using Dfilter and I just have it configured to show me all of my DoTs and Critical Mass.

combustion helper only helps if you are constantly using Combustion with out all the dots. I wish there was a addon that would show how much dps each dot is doing and a total amount at the bottom

Fujisaw, I agree. However, a friend of mine just told me that CombustionHelper has added a feature that shows how much your (last) ignite ticked for. Once I'm able to log in, I will test this out and see if I can set up some good combustions more reliably.

The only problem I see with this is that we won't see the first tick until there is 2 seconds let on combustion, and there might not always be time to react to that number or even be able to finish a cast in time to cast combustion until fireball casts are less than 2 seconds.

You can use any addon setup, I use tell me when myself. As a mage whose played mage for 4+ years, I can do it blind almost. Just remember to dots -> combust -> ignite spread on raid fights when needed high dps on adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujisaw View Post
    combustion helper only helps if you are constantly using Combustion with out all the dots. I wish there was a addon that would show how much dps each dot is doing and a total amount at the bottom
    indeed combustion helper actually doesnt do that much.
    It shows your dots are up, but if you had an unlucky hit and ignite is ticking for a very low amount of dmg, without you being aware of it, and then pop a combustion, that makes me a sad panda.

The newest version of CombustionHelper shows the last tick from each dot next to the bar.

- Update combustionhelper.
    - The pyroblast dot is much weaker than a strong ignite -- if ignite is rolling at 15k, forget fishing for a hot streak.
    - In cases where you can predict an imminent need for aoe (e.g., a few seconds before the green phase in maloriak if your strat is to aoe the adds), it makes sense to hardcast pyroblast if you're not getting any procs. Look at WoL parses and compare good mages' use of Pyroblast vs Pyroblast!.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirsten View Post
    - Update combustionhelper.
    - The pyroblast dot is much weaker than a strong ignite -- if ignite is rolling at 15k, forget fishing for a hot streak.
    - In cases where you can predict an imminent need for aoe (e.g., a few seconds before the green phase in maloriak if your strat is to aoe the adds), it makes sense to hardcast pyroblast if you're not getting any procs. Look at WoL parses and compare good mages' use of Pyroblast vs Pyroblast!.

I agree exactly what I do.

I am sure combustion helper has the damage your dots are doing beside it, I saw it there in my last raid, will check again!

You could always do it right after your Fireball/Pyroblast crits while all of the other dots are up. That's what I usually do and I get high combustion ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by B@nj0 P3do View Post
    Are you using CombustionHelper ?
    Really, use it. It is amazing! You could also setup the various things this one addon shows on power auras or need to know, but this one addon makes it so easy

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 10:42 AM ----------

There is an addon called combustion that does this. It is very inaccurate, but it does give a ballpark. There are also very few configuration options (size, skinning, etc). It is on curse if you are interested.