Poll: Immortal or Invincible

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Well since about half of the people on this thread are picking Immortal, I know I'd at least have some company when I'm 5 trillion years old, so I'll go for that.

I just hope they keep making House so I can watch reruns for the first 4 billion years.

Deleted
    Immortal, but only if I cease to exist if the universe does.

immortal ill never age

I am Sniper - Play Free Online Games

Deleted
    invincible sounds like a superman thing. I'd go with Immortal. Fucking epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invincible, you could achieve such greatness in a lifetime without worrying about the possibility of death (other than age). Besides, being a one man army would be awesome.

After reading a few pages people do not seem to know the difference (or rather lack of) between the two words. Here is what they actually mean:

Immortal - adjective - living forever; never dying or decaying. (Therefore, being immortal means YOU CAN NOT die.)
    Invincible - adjective - too powerful to be defeated or overcome. (Therefore, being invincible means YOU CAN die.)

As you can see, no matter which you choose, you are likely to live forever. Though I suspect being invincible means you'll die from old age. However, with that being said it is likely you could "overcome" that.

I would choose immortal as I would as stated above, never die or decay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather be invincible. Who wants to live forever?
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

Well since invincible means unconquerable, and I can assume by that one means 'not conquerable by anything or anyone, including death', then it's really a no-brainer, isn't it?

Like invulnerable. You can take it to include immunity to physical effects, or time, as well.

"He was invulnerable to the effects of time and space."

I'd use the term eternal, but that's already used to denote the near-invincible beings of Warcraft canon, namely the titans, gods and others.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-02-09 at 05:46 PM.

Thought it was invisible... Why could it not have been invisible

Deleted
    Invincible, definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being immortal would suck, you would lose all your family/loved ones. i`d rather be unkillable by means of mane then never die at all

Immortal.
    There is simply much to learn, much to feel and know.
    Yes, you would outlive your loved ones. But then you meet new ones, as harsh as this may sound. Ive seen the woman I loved pass away, and Ive moved on, even if I keep her memory with me. Same can happen with the rest.
    There is simply put, much to feel within this world. Assuming you dont live alone, I could see being happy for centuries.

Finally if it one day tires you, or you want a release or what have you, there is that knife there. This is assuming you can die to physical wounds and related such. If not, that would require a good bit more thought.

15+ Year Old Account
    Invincible. There was a Cracked article on why you would not want to live forever. http://www.cracked.com/article_18708...han-death.html

But to summarize
    5. You may not evolve with the rest of humanity
    4. You will need to hide your identity
    3. You will still age mentally so you will be bogged down by older memories
    2. Your perception of time will speed up
    1. You will eventually become trapped

Definitions of each as taken off of Dictionary.com:

Immortal:
    –adjective
    1. not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
    3.not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.

Invincible:
    –adjective
    1.incapable of being conquered, defeated, or subdued.
    2.insuperable; insurmountable: invincible difficulties.

More clarification on Dictionary.com:
    Invincible is applied to that which cannot be conquered in combat or war, or overcome or subdued in any manner: an invincible army; invincible courage.

From these definitions you can see that being immortal is just that, you DON'T die. EVER. Being invincible by definition means you cannot be conquered or subdued, no where does it say that you cannot die.

If I could have a handful of others become immortal with me, I think I'd pick that choice. But if it is only me alone, then I'd pick invincible because I'd rather live out my natural life with those that I love.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

To be immortal would be to NEVER DIE. Imagine still living through life while everything around you changes, yet you remain the same. To be invincible, you couldn't be harmed by anything, but could still die of old age.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

Invincible, Because honestly, Don't really wanna live forever.
    Kurogasa:"Bitch tried to steal my herb... So I typhooned his ass off a cliff"
    Gala:"Why can't he burn in heaven? There can be Holy Fire in Heaven"
    Garrosh Hellscream:"Shut your clever mouth, bitch."
    Terenas Menethil II:"At long last. No king rules forever, my son."
    Kenny:"I'm just waiting for a fire axe to hack through my door one day and see aulio on the other side goin "heeeeeeeeres johnny"
    StarFade:Are you actually serious? To quote every rapper:"How fucked-up is you?"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idk, doesn't being invincible make you in a sense immortal? If you are invincible that means you could, say, get hit by a train and either break the train or get thrown to the side with no dmg to you. Wouldn't this make sense that your internal organs would not take dmg over time either? I.e aging?

To make this a bit harder, who'd win, Goku or Superman? Goku's Invincible but Superman pretty much immortal, he doesn't age etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Opblaaskaas View Post
    To make this a bit harder, who'd win, Goku or Superman? Goku's Invincible but Superman pretty much immortal, he doesn't age etc.
    umm yes he does correct me if im wrong but i do beleive he came to earth as a baby and has grown to his current state over the years

and imortal be my choice we will all lose our family at some stage so you cant really worry about that but being unable to die owuld mean you could protect a lot more then if you were invinsible
    Last edited by tanksin the enhance shamy; 2011-02-17 at 07:03 AM.