Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Paladin mastery = Arp?

So our new changes on retri is great but will our new mastery be just like Arp was in 80 were you needed to get alot of it to start to see an dmg increase if you compared to maybe someone gemming for agi. The reason I think it will become like Arp is that the more points we put in it the more armor we will bypass with holy dmg. We dont know the %holydmg/Masterypoint
    so maybe we dont need to gem/reforge like crazy to get it but you never know with pally changes

More toughts on this? Anyone that maybe have seen some numbers or are good at theorycraft.

First thread I have ever started so go easy on me.
    "So essentially what your looking at is a mans vision of the ideal female shape that just happens to have a extra fully functioning limb and it even includes handlebars on top of her head.
    I mean honestly god himself would look at the female draenei model and think holy shit why didn't I think of that."

Nobody knows because the changes haven't been announced.

The holy component will be dependent on the physical part of the strike. So basically if the physical part is lower because of armor, the holy part will be too. So it won't be like arp. It will scale with Inquisition though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabbalah View Post
    The holy component will be dependent on the physical part of the strike. So basically if the physical part is lower because of armor, the holy part will be too. So it won't be like arp. It will scale with Inquisition though.
    You don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You don't know that.
    I don't know that, true. But it will probably be like that. That's how scourge strike works. And Ret mastery will scale similar to other masteries, a linear increase. Arp is a potential increase until cap but since ours would be holy damage, there wouldn't be a cap.

Hmmm I see. good stuff so far
    "So essentially what your looking at is a mans vision of the ideal female shape that just happens to have a extra fully functioning limb and it even includes handlebars on top of her head.
    I mean honestly god himself would look at the female draenei model and think holy shit why didn't I think of that."

I don't know that, true. But it will probably be like that. That's how scourge strike works. And Ret mastery will scale similar to other masteries, a linear increase. Arp is a potential increase until cap but since ours would be holy damage, there wouldn't be a cap.
    You don't know that either (referring to linear thing)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No It will be best to stick with Strength not Arp, because paladins are still roughly 30% Holy damage and like 50-60% Holy damage with Inquisition up, and their spell damage portion comes from their attack power, and Strength gives attack power which ups both physical and Holy damage for Retribution, Arp will only increase physical damage which would make their Holy dps portion crap, which would make overall damage crap for them, I've tried it at 80 full Arp Retribution and my overall dps went down by about 20-30%, and paladins still use the same mechanics just more spells and RNG. It will likely scale similar to Seal of Truth that scales from both your attack power and spell power when doing a % of weapon damage.
    Last edited by Valith; 2011-01-02 at 11:08 AM.

No, arp improved the more you had because armor had diminishing returns (The more armor you got, the less benefit, so the more armor pen, the stronger it got)

The new mastery is simply passive spell damage added to melee attacks. The spell component will work like armory, but it won't work exactly like armor pen.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that. "knowing" police is around.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    I don't know that.
    Me either

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You don't know that either (referring to linear thing)
    If Ret gains x% of TV, CS and DS damage (after armor) as holy damage it will scale linear. Simple math.
    If Ret gains x% of TV, CS and DS damage (before armor) as holy damage it will scale better than potentially. Because that would be the same as Arp, scaling better the more you have. linear
    Last edited by Kabbalah; 2011-01-02 at 11:34 AM.

For example, the Retribution mastery, Hand of Light, is fun, but it doesn’t contribute enough damage. To make it contribute enough damage, the proc would need a very high chance, which then can cause paladins to devalue other sources of Holy Power. Instead, we are redesigning Retribution mastery to add a percentage of the damage of Templar’s Verdict, Crusader Strike, and Divine Storm as Holy damage (which also plays better with Inqusition).
    From the blue posts on the front page. I know its not done yet but it shows how they are thinking.

If Ret gains x% of TV, CS and DS damage (after armor) as holy damage it will scale linear. Simple math.
    If Ret gains x% of TV, CS and DS damage (before armor) as holy damage it will scale better than potentially. Because that would be the same as Arp, scaling better the more you have.
    Except we still have a PTR to go through before that happens, if it happens at all.

Ask Brofist up there to link the other part where it says that, if it matters.

15+ Year Old Account
    If Ret gains x% of TV, CS and DS damage (before armor) as holy damage it will scale better than potentially. Because that would be the same as Arp, scaling better the more you have.
    Both scenarios are still linear whereas ArP was not linear.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-01-02 at 11:30 AM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    Both scenario are still linear whereas ArP was not linear.
    You are right, silly me. I got too focused on the ArP scaling.

Deleted
    With a after armor calculation, the amount of damage gained can differ from boss to boss though.
    With a before armor calculation the bonus damage will be much more constant.
    So the scaling is linear, but the actual damage done can differ alot.

My hopes are for a before armor, but i think blizz will scale it with the actual damage done
    Last edited by mmoc5dd828b592; 2011-01-02 at 11:32 AM.

Not sure what part of the post you are thinking of maybe
    Before you dive down into the meat below (not really a pleasant image, that), be advised that we’re still early in the preliminary stages. The patch isn’t coming out tomorrow. I wrote this before the end of the year and other things may have cropped up in the meantime. Just because your class or pet problem isn’t mentioned below doesn’t mean we won’t address it.
    ?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude some people have to see it to believe it, they won't just take simple math for an example, I broke it down pretty thoroughly, yet there is still debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddone View Post
    Not sure what part of the post you are thinking of maybe ?
    no. This part

“GC, is this the final list of changes? Does this mean I can expect no changes for my class? Does this mean you don’t care about me?”

No. This is some stuff we are looking at so that you’ll have some context if you see changes on a future PTR. The final list of class patch notes for the next patch will doubtless be much longer.