Thread: New Desktop

New Desktop

I am in the process of getting a new desktop for my gaming/etc. needs. I plan on getting a pre-built one just for the simplicity and generally I can get a warranty from the place as well. I was thinking a desktop straight from Dell or BestBuy would be my best choice and I have been scoping them out from the two but my main concern is the video card. I know a lot of pre-built computers aren't up to snuff for gaming needs because of their graphics/video card. I was wondering if there was any way I could guarantee I'd be getting a good card for gaming or if their are any rigs out their that are pre-built that I can get here in Az that anyone knows of.

I don't have any other specifics I'm concerned for or anything I need specifically. I just have been needing a new computer extremely badly and I'm attempting to start the process of getting one now. The only thing I'm limiting is it needs to be under $1000, but looking around thats not too hard.

As for cards you want something like 5850/6850 from ATI or similar from NVIDIA. Basically aim for the medium priced cards that are powerful yet there ain't that much air in the prices.

Try websites like Cyberpower PC and Ibuypower. They will build you the computer and you can pick whatever parts you want in it unlike Dell and Best Buy, which don't have good gaming computers. These 2 sites also have pre configured builds geared for nothing but gaming while best buy and dell will be selling you a web surfer for similar price.

The thing is, building your own PC is so much cheaper. But if you don't mind spending extra money, go ahead ^^,

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never, ever ever buy a computer from a store like best buy, the gfx are almost always integrated.

Tty cyberpoeer or ibuypower. They have great prices.

Sadly the reason I chose bestbuy or dell is because they offer payment plans, I'm not in a financially stable part of my life where I can drop that much and I'm horrible at saving up : /

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try and get credit on Newegg or Tigerdirect too. They have different plans and stuff is your credit is good enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydejekyl View Post
    Sadly the reason I chose bestbuy or dell is because they offer payment plans, I'm not in a financially stable part of my life where I can drop that much and I'm horrible at saving up : /
    cyberpowerpc.co.uk / cyberpowerpc.com they do financial options (As long as it is over a certain budget),

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/cart/v12_detail.asp

If you want an excellent deal right now, go for the Dell Poweredge T110. Its processor is equal to an i5-7** series, comes with 2gb of ram, 250gb hard drive, but no operating system. The processor alone is $200 on newegg.com so this is an awesome bundle.

c onfigure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bedwlr1&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=poweredge-t110&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378&acd=10466193-1225267-u0t2526959f9fp0c0s558

There is a coupon floating around that I wont post but it brings the total down to $350 with free shipping.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
    If you want an excellent deal right now, go for the Dell Poweredge T110. Its processor is equal to an i5-7** series, comes with 2gb of ram, 250gb hard drive, but no operating system. The processor alone is $200 on newegg.com so this is an awesome bundle.

c onfigure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bedwlr1&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=poweredge-t110&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378&acd=10466193-1225267-u0t2526959f9fp0c0s558

There is a coupon floating around that I wont post but it brings the total down to $350 with free shipping.
    Single cabled power supply (305W)------ I wouldn't go any lower than a 450watt and even that is going to struggle with Single 9800GT card. This is a budget office system and lacks decent cooling and a nice bottle neck for performance for gaming.

You can build a decent gaming rig for around $750 if you skip around on Tiger and Newegg.

Its not that bad, you can get a power supply for $80-$100 and lets say a Radeon 6850 for $180. That brings your total to less than $700 with a one year warranty. True, custom machines are better but this is a very decent system with the above modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
    Its not that bad, you can get a power supply for $80-$100 and lets say a Radeon 6850 for $180. That brings your total to less than $700 with a one year warranty. True, custom machines are better but this is a very decent system with the above modifications.
    Why would you buy a cheap machine and then immedately upgrade it when you can spend the same or less money and get a machine that is actually what you need?

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    That dell machine you linked will have serious issues playing Wow. It's a server for one, no OS, 250gb Sata 150 hdd it's not sata2 or sata 3, and has 2gb of server ecc memory and probably the shittiest onboard graphic card you can find and no PCI-e x16 lanes for expansion, a small PSU and no DVD drive..... Seriously how you can tell someone to look at buying this to play games on is a joke O.o

Because it costs less than building it yourself sometimes. I just put together a QUALITY system on newegg.com with an i5-750, 6gb HyperX memory, Antec 300 case, Gigabyte micro ATx board, samsung f3 1tb hard drive, 24x dvd-rw drive, corsair 550w power supply. processor and total with shipping came out to $776 with only parts warranty and no operating system... $876 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Its cheaper to go the dell route if you are tight on money, but the extra $100 would get you higher quality. The upgraded Dell system with Windows 7 64-bit would cost around $730-750.

Building your own computer is like learning to change the oil, at coolant, replace filters, change spark plugs. It's so damn easy once you get down & to it with the bonus being a huge savings in money. I really would suggest waiting on the computer build until mid-end of the month & have a friend help you build the system once you get parts. Hell I even be happy to assist over via some chat program if needed. It's that easy...

Ok, changed what I'm doing. I am going to buy each piece individually over a set amount of time to save up my money. Each paycheck I'll buy a portion of the computer and put it together when I'm done.

My only problem now is I have no idea what parts I need, what is a good deal, or where to get them..

Get them from a shop you trust. Also, I'd rather recommend buying all the parts at the same time. Doing this you are guaranteed to have the newest parts, instead of buying one item and a few weeks later there's a better one out for the exact same price. (It ruins the joy, I know)

Well, I need to google to how-to's for putting a computer together and a list of everything I need. I'm too much of a software junkie to know that >.>