1. #12001

  2. #12002
    The Unstoppable Force Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    22,034
    They ask me why I'm bringin' - A baby into battle - That's really irresponsible - And getting them rattled
    I say "give me a break - Get off of my back damn, it" - I didn't learn parenting - My daddy was a planet

  3. #12003
    Fluffy Kitten Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    <Universe scaling>
    Bah, I thought the final pic was going to be "Your mom" because of a similar pic earlier in the thread.

  4. #12004

  5. #12005
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  6. #12006
    Titan Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    14,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I'm probably missing something, but I don't get this? Is it from something?
    Look up... is it "hilarious lectures"? Or something similar. Basically it's a porn star and she's reading a book. With a vibrator.

  7. #12007
    Titan Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    13,058

  8. #12008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    This is religion in a nutshell

  9. #12009
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    This is religion in a nutshell
    here's atheism in a nutshell




  10. #12010
    Herald of the Titans GodlyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,713
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

  11. #12011
    And that is why i have a beef with Evangelion characters.

  12. #12012
    ~Religion bashing isn't allowed~
    Last edited by ghostkitteh; 2013-06-30 at 03:43 AM.

  13. #12013
    I sense an internet conflict arising. Perhaps we should stick to funny pictures about animals

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

  14. #12014
    @Day Dreamer - Actually, that's wrong about the computer, and depends very much on how you define ''computer''.

    Let's take a look at this

    Many say the first computer is the "difference engine." The first of these devices was conceived in 1786 by J.H. Müller.
    A difference engine is an automatic mechanical calculator designed to tabulate polynomial functions. The name derives from the method of divided differences, a way to interpolate or tabulate functions by using a small set of polynomial coefficients. Both logarithmic and trigonometric functions, functions commonly used by both navigators and scientists, can be approximated by polynomials, so a difference engine can compute many useful sets of numbers.
    The historical difficulty in producing error free tables by teams of mathematicians and human "computers" spurred Charles Babbage's desire to build a mechanism to automate the process.

    So let's see something about Babbage and the ''computer''

    The word "computer" was first recorded as being used in 1613 and was originally was used to describe a person who performed calculations or computations. The definition of a computer remained the same until the end of the 19th century when it began referring to a machine that performed calculations.

    First mechanical computer or automatic computing engine concept

    In 1822, Charles Babbage purposed and began developing the Difference Engine, considered to be the first automatic computing engine that was capable of computing several sets of numbers and making a hard copies of the results. Unfortunately, because of funding he was never able to complete a full-scale functional version of this machine. In June of 1991, the London Science Museum completed the Difference Engine No 2 for the bicentennial year of Babbage's birth and later completed the printing mechanism in 2000.

    Later, in 1837 Charles Babbage proposed the first general mechanical computer, the Analytical Engine. The Analytical Engine contained an Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU), basic flow control, and integrated memory and is the first general-purpose computer concept. Unfortunately, because of funding issues this computer was also never built while Charles Babbage's was alive. In 1910, Henry Babbage, Charles Babbage's youngest son was able to complete a portion of this machine and was able to perform basic calculations.

    First programmable computer

    The Z1, originally created by Germany's Konrad Zuse in his parents living room in 1936 to 1938 and is considered to be the first electro-mechanical binary programmable (modern) computer and really the first functional computer.

    Now, it seems that you want to attribute all of the glory of the computer to one single person, while disregarding all of the previous people I mentioned, as well as their creations and what they represent.

    So let's take your point of view and assume that Turing ''created the computer''.

    Ok, let's follow from that :

    Director W Gordon Radley was asked for help by Alan Turing, who was then working at the government's Bletchley Park codebreaking establishment 50 miles north west of London in Buckinghamshire. Turing wanted Tommy Flowers to build a decoder for the relay-based Bombe machine, which Turing had developed to help decrypt the Germans' Enigma codes. Although the decoder project was abandoned, Turing was impressed with Flowers's work, and in February 1943 introduced him to Max Newman who was leading the effort to automate part of the cryptanalysis of the Lorenz cipher. This was a high-level German cipher generated by a teletypewriter in-line cipher machine, the SZ40/42, one of their "Geheimschreiber" (secret writer) systems, that was called "Tunny" by the British. It was a much more complex system than Enigma; the decoding procedure involved trying so many possibilities that it was impractical to do by hand. Flowers and Frank Morrell (also at Dollis Hill) designed the Heath Robinson, the first machine designed to decrypt the Lorenz or “Fish” machine cyphers.

    Flowers proposed an electronic system, which he called Colossus, using perhaps 1,800 thermionic valves (vacuum tubes), and having only one paper tape instead of two (which required synchronisation) by generating the wheel patterns electronically. Because the most complicated previous electronic device had used about 150 valves, some were sceptical that the system would be reliable. Flowers countered that the British telephone system used thousands of valves and was reliable because the electronics were operated in a stable environment with the circuitry on all the time. The Bletchley Park management were not convinced, however, and merely encouraged Flowers to proceed on his own. He did so, providing much of the funds for the project himself.
    Last edited by Archangel Tyrael; 2013-06-28 at 07:48 PM.

  15. #12015
    Elemental Lord Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    8,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    a bunch of words
    I know a picture is 1000 words, but come on... lol

    ON TOPIC:

  16. #12016
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I know a picture is 1000 words, but come on... lol

    ON TOPIC:
    It wasn't really directed at you, so you don't ''have'' to read it, you know....

    Anyway, I don't see how I could've made a picture for that. I'll think about it.

    in the meantime



    Last edited by Archangel Tyrael; 2013-06-28 at 07:57 PM.

  17. #12017



    I feel that this thread is in some serious need of dark souls humor
    Last edited by ridish; 2013-06-28 at 08:02 PM.

  18. #12018
    Lay off the religion talk and images.

  19. #12019
    Elemental Lord Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    8,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    It wasn't really directed at you, so you don't ''have'' to read it, you know....
    I didn't read it. The point is the thread is for pictures, not paragraphs. Hence the flipping of a phrase :P

    On topic again!

  20. #12020
    I am Murloc! -Zait-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ♫ ♪ d(Θ.Θ)b ♪ ♫
    Posts
    5,459
    If you're an atheist, cool. Shut the fuck up about it. Not every religious person is a psychotic idiot. If you're religious, cool. Shut the fuck up about it. Not every atheist is a pretentious douchebag. Ok? Cool? Great.

    In preparation for the last season starting on Sunday:





    Last edited by -Zait-; 2013-06-28 at 08:17 PM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •