Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirsten View Post
    Pj4ever:

1. You're spec'd incorrectly due to the pyromaniac bug.
    2. Your metagem is incorrect.
    3. You said you "hardly ever scorch weave" -- huh? Let's look at some of your logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...rd/?enc=bosses On Magmaw, you cast 120 scorches vs 69 fireballs. On Omnotron, 106 scorches vs 77 fireballs. On Maloriak, 105 scorches vs 88 fireballs.
    4. Using scorch to regen mana is generally higher dps than evocating.
    1. I wasent aware of the Pyromaniac bug untill now, since it used to work
    2. My metagem aint incorrect, since the requirements for the chaotic atm is ridicolus, and of what i have heard, blizzard is planning to change it back (No blues to back it up though).
    3. I scorch when i have to move, and you kinda have to move alot during those fights. For steady fights (Like Halfus, my scorch number is way lower 34 scorch vs. 72 Fireballs - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3180&e=3522).
    4. I have not done the number crunching on that, but when i finally have to evocate, it is often only 1-2 ticks i need, and it quite often works so i can click evocate in the last second of the bloodlust/time warp.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Pj4ever View Post
    2. My metagem aint incorrect...
    You're using a wrath metagem rather than Ember Shadowspirit Diamond.

3. I scorch when i have to move, and you kinda have to move alot during those fights. For steady fights (Like Halfus, my scorch number is way lower 34 scorch vs. 72 Fireballs - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3180&e=3522).
    Halfus is a shorter fight, so of course you scorch weave less. Neither Maloriak nor Magmaw are heavy movement fights. You're scorch weaving like everyone else is -- there's no magic formula that lets you avoid it.
    Last edited by Tirsten; 2011-01-03 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirsten View Post
    You're using a wrath metagem rather than Ember Shadowspirit Diamond.

Halfus is a shorter fight, so of course you scorch weave less. Neither Maloriak nor Magmaw are heavy movement fights. You're scorch weaving like everyone else is -- there's no magic formula that lets you avoid it.

The math is on EJ.
    1. True that, i actually dident realised i bought the old one.

Magmaw can be, depending on how ppl perform on parasites (which people in my guild aint always as fast for).

2. Might be true, but i only feel like im scorching while i am moving, or switching target for debuff.

3. Of what i have read on EJ, they do a base from a 5 min fight, standing still, they dont go into the scorch weaving untill they hit the 35%, and managems are on CD and evo on CD. Anyway, too tired to discuss stuff now, havent slept for almost 24h.

Whatever im doing must be somewhat correct anyway, weather or not i explain it correctly atm, im not 100% sure, too damn tired.
    - Mario Andretti

Deleted

3. Of what i have read on EJ, they do a base from a 5 min fight, standing still, they dont go into the scorch weaving untill they hit the 35%, and managems are on CD and evo on CD.
    That's not how the sims are working, in fact, it's exactly what you want to avoid. If you're having to scorch due to mana constraints in Molten Fury range, you've not planned ahead properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalizari View Post
    That's not how the sims are working, in fact, it's exactly what you want to avoid. If you're having to scorch due to mana constraints in Molten Fury range, you've not planned ahead properly.
    Im not saying thats what i end up doing, im just saying what EJ quoted, since Tirsten talked about math on EJ.
    - Mario Andretti

Yeah, it looks like I was wrong about scorch > evocation, at least as a default position.

10+ Year Old Account
    SO fireball instead of frostfire bolt?

why?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post

why?
    Short answer is:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t110326-...Frostfire_Bolt

and

http://manoutoftime.org/misc/sc403/m...359/basic.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post

why?
    Pick whatever you like the best, though imo for high end gear, Fireball pulls away, more crit with higher sp = more happy me!
    - Mario Andretti

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick whatever you like the best, though imo for high end gear, Fireball pulls away, more crit with higher sp = more happy me!
    Fireball gets more crit than FFB? Higher SP?

I just started trying fire again. Haven't played it much since AQ40. Are the cast times the same?

fireball have a 5% increased crit chance over ffb because of the glyph. those 5% leads to more hot streak procs, and more dmg the more sp and crit
    - Mario Andretti

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ahara/advanced

Do me do me!

P.S. yes this gear is a bit below hitcap, using one blue trinket instead of volcano for raiding (alduur's hymnal)

Deleted
    Well, I'd love if someone took time and break down my character. I am still trying to perfect my schorch weaving, sicne I found myself over 50% mana on the end of the figt on all boses aside from Magmaw. My dps is completely different on different fights.

Conclave 16k, Halfus 23k, Magmaw 19k, Omnitron 16k and TB 17k. Then there are heroics, where I barel push over 12k on boss fights :S I prepot, use Baked Rockfish as my food, Draconic flask, I even bring flamecaps to the raid

What is the pyromaniac bug

I'd love some input on my character as well. My guild is currently 12/12 25man normal and we have halfus down on heroic. My damage is moderate and i've been stacking as much crit as possible. I'd like to think that my gear and itemization is perfect but i'd like some input from other mages about that. My armory is:
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/hyo/advanced
    some of my logs are:
    worldoflogs.com/guilds/10909
    i usually pull decent numbers on magmaw and maloriak

a few reasons why i specced the way i did is because pyromaniac and cauterize are very situational and i find i could increase my dps more by having an instant flame strike and the range on impact

@hyo:
    - You have enough gem sockets that Ember meta + stacking int gems (except for an int/crit gem in your robes and legs, and an int/hit gem in your legs) is probably better than a chaotic meta, even if it means you aren't hit capped and lose socket bonuses. You have some extra hit you can reforge into anyways. See http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t106009-...2/#post1794256 for the reasoning.
    - Put the WotLK +28sp enchant on your gloves.
    - If you can't afford Lavawalker, at least get the Cata movement+stam boot enchant.
    - If you have gold, you can try to buy a darkmoon card, signet of the high arcanist savor, bracers of the dark pool, all of which are pre-hardmode BiS.
    - Move two points from arc conc to cauterize. The arc conc points give you between 0 and <1% extra dps, whereas cauterize dramatically increases survivability. If you insist on not using cauterize, you'd probably get more dps from 1 point in imp counterspell for a lot of fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhigo View Post
    Have you read anything about fire ? you need that haste for a extra tick on your dots .... after that you need ALOT of haste to gain another tick but its not worth getting
    Hahahahahaha!! No lol. Mages can't afford haste atm. They need to hit cap first then gain crit over mastery and over haste. If you seriously use haste over crit, then you are a baddie.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    9k and you have that kind of gear? pfft. I know I'm not being constructive but shit dude, I'm pulling off about double your dps with alot worse gear...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Norgannon the Dreamweaver View Post
    Hahahahahaha!! No lol. Mages can't afford haste atm. They need to hit cap first then gain crit over mastery and over haste. If you seriously use haste over crit, then you are a baddie.
    According to ElitistJerks.com (and they know a lot more about this than you) this is the correct priority for a fire mage: Intellect > Haste before Soft Cap > Hit > Spell Power > Crit > Mastery > Haste after Soft Cap

You should read this: ElitistJerks.com - Cataclysm Fire mage Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by ElitistJerks.com
    The Haste "Soft Cap" refers to the value required to reach +12.5% Haste raid buffed.

• The soft cap with 3/3 Netherwind Presence and 5% Raid Haste Buff is: 516 Haste from gear.
    • The soft cap with 2/3 Netherwind Presence and 5% Raid Haste Buff is: 646 Haste from gear.
    • The Soft Haste cap for Goblins with 3/3 Netherwind Presence and 5% Raid Haste Buff is: 384 Haste from gear

Haste is a very strong stat before the Soft Cap, but a weak stat after. The values required to reach Soft Cap is very easy to obtain with entry level raid gear. Why is this 12.5% raid buffed number so important?

• Living Bomb, Pyroblast (Dot) and Frostfire Bolt (DOT) all gain an additional tick at +12.5% Haste. With 3/3 Netherwind Presence and the 5% Haste Buff present in your raid (Moonkin, Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman) you'll only need a further 516 haste from gear to reach the soft cap. The value for Haste falls off sharply after this point, as 3476 haste is needed for a second additional tick. This is well out of reach for current gear levels.

After the Soft Cap, Haste is considered the weakest stat. For more details on this topic: see the "Haste and DOT's" section.
    Last edited by zephid; 2011-01-07 at 03:44 AM.

All mage specs are lacking dps wise in raids.