Thread: Mind Flay

Mind Flay

I've never touched Shadow Priests up until a day ago when i switched from Disc.

My question is about Mind Flay and how important it is compared to the other spells. Is it worth interupting the mind flay channel to Reapply dots or do a 1-3 Shadow Orb Mind Blast? Or do i let the channel finish and then cast w/e needs to be cast?

ur rotation will be running into a boss fight: DP,SwP. once u get into ur spot throw up VT, u should have a shadow orb by now, if not what i do, just just mindflay till i get atleast one. Once u get your orb, mindblast for your buff, and keep your dots up.
    For your question and how important it is, before cata, "clipping" mindflay was bad, now u should if ur dots going to fall off, just make sure ur VT and DP are in the 2nd to last or last tick..so 3 or below seconds before throwing them back up.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 09:34 AM ----------

also, on MMO's main page, there was a whole guide on Spriest. you should check that out

Deleted
    Mind flay is the spell you will use the most of all as its the only one which you can keep casting. Assuming were only talking boss fight as the rest doesnt really matter dps wise. VT and devouring plage should always be up at anytime, sw: p is refreshed by mind flay and when doing it right doesnt fall off during a fight.

Mind blast should never be casted if there isnt a orb present (its good to apply pain while getting in position for the fight), death shouldnt be casted above 25% unless your having issues with mana and then it comes in use.

Best time to apply VT and DP is between the second last tick and the last one to get max use of its damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know MF clipping is still there, but it does not affect your DPS as much as it used to do in Wrath. You need to keep your mastery DoT buff up all the time. For more info head over to www.shadowpriest.com. spriest nerds gather up there and are quite nice =)
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

I rarely clip MF because its a chance to proc more shadoworbs, if my dot is going to fall off before mind flay finishes I will just rotate in a SWD instead of MF and then re-aply my dot

10+ Year Old Account
    Mind Flay is your #1 damage spell.

Personally, I'll clip MF to cast MB with an orb or more if Empowered Shadows will fall off. It happens once in a while that an orb will proc right away on MF and if ES is close to the end, I'll not even pause to think about casting MB in that case.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to clip Mind Flay in the wake of other spells. The possible DPS gains are so small that a couple bad clips of Mind Flay will negate the benefit you get from doing it.