Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    So after a few days of trying to heal. I just can't do it. I'm lucky if I can make it to the first boss before a group kicks me. So yeah. Thanks for all the help everyone but there's something about shaman healing I just can't get my head around. Guess I'll just forever be Enhance.

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you ever decide to take up healing again, shoot me a message. I tried looking over your armory profile, but it looks like you had already given up. I am just jumping back into the game (got the game on Christmas) and the last time I played was in Ulduar where I was able to obtain a handful of US first kills with my guild. A lot has changed since then, but if you're up to the challenge, it can be a lot of fun. I can throw some things your way of what has helped me transition back into healing/raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Robofish View Post
    Disclaimer: I play a disc priest so take what i'm saying with a pinch of salt.

Your mana seems strangely low, and with that your spell power. When i hit 85, in a mixture of Crafted blues and normal gear i was at 80k mana, and whatever the equivalent spell power is, so i think that might be making quite a large difference. Your regen number seem fine for heroics, i believe mine is at 2200 with avg ilevel 345 but i'm tweaking that for more regen for when we start raiding.
    You obviously know what you're doing after reading everything so i wont insult you with telling you to get enchants and stuff, (although the 100 int to offhand is definately worth it).

Umm, the only thing else i could say is practice, if you're having as much problems as you appear to be, the majority of problems you might have been having is the group comp/gear/ability. One thing i've noticed in this expac is that i can have the best gear in the world, but if the tank is low on avoidance and the dps don't minimise damage taken, i will oom, and we will wipe.

I'll leave it to the resto shamans here to nitpick at spec and gear choices, but my advice to you is: stick with it if you want to but don't let it sap the fun out of your game, get some practice healing the normals a bit more and then move up when you're finishing the fights with 50-60% mana comfortably.

Good luck : )
    I'm not sure if it's a priest verses shaman thing, but I just hit 80k mana and I have a 342 ilvl. I was around 70k then also, after having been geared from twilight highlands gear and rep gear. To the OP, it does get better for sure. Where I'm at now, mana is a lot less of an issue. Not quite the point where it allows for stupidity, but at least if people do their jobs ooming is quite a bit less likely until the end of the fight. It's very disheartening for a while and then it improves, gl

All u need is practice, tbh it sounds like you know what to do, but executing it is the problem. The reason why u healed Tol Vir fine was not because of the awesome dps. It was probably because those GOOD dps knew how to avoid taking damage (ie interupted popped defensive cds and what not) healing is no longer just a healers job it requires the whole group to work together and avoid uneeeded damage. So if u see that ret or that dk standing in a fire or someother aoe, just dont heal them sure u might wipe but hopefully it will teach them to become better players.

Nomnom crit, personally I've never had problems with mana as a crit stacking SoB. I do have around 905haste to get the extra tick on hot Hots/Healing rain.

I struggle on healing if there are too many melee in some dungeons or even if CC isn't used and people tunnel instead of interrupts - even the best healers will OOM during such situations - cept maybe pallies

ES - RT (once tank takes some dmge) - wait a few secs and then preheal a HW on the MT maybe 2, Riptide a DPS (even if he isnt taking dmge atm - this gives you a target for your Chain heal, you don't want to have to remove the tank's hot ideally unless you intend to whack it on straight after. Healing stream totem shud be down and glyphed to help with Res.

Don't be afraid if you know the pack is AoE heavy of throwing down Healing rain so the tank is on the edge of it, and you on the opposite edge - it can proc E/L and so gives rolling hots on everyone.

I found the easiest way to increase my 'skill' was to install Vuhdo, use rollovers for the spells and use icons to show a target that has Riptide/EL on them - this helps you to see that a DPS with some hots on at 80% HP can be ignored (tbh even at 50% with hots on it's not top on priority). Feel free to PM me if you need a hand with Vuhdo as it's a total bitch to setup compared to similar addons.

Some really good advice in this thread. Keep it up.

Even though I've abandoned the idea of healing, I still check this thread every couple days to see how it's going and the constructive conversation is a pleasant change to what I've read on some other forums. Maybe in the future I'll consider trying again. Perhaps when I get some better gear for my resto set >_<

@ Xyborg
    To tell you the truth, if it's so hard to press 4 buttons, maybe it's time for you to give up or wait until you're older. I've been healing for heroics since I hit 85 on my alt shammy to reduce the queue time. At first I get down to about 50% mana and rarely OOM. But When I had better gears, I usually stay above 80% Mana on trash and rarely less than 30% on boss fights. Especially on fights that I could interupt, trading 1k mana for 10, 20, 30K healing is worth it, ground totem to reduce incoming dmg. Dispell for unlimited 6-7k instant heal if there's something you can purge. If you can reduce inc dmg, no need to heal the tank, ES, Riptide, healing stream, and occasionally HW is enough, not like the tank doesn't have any survival CD if you decided to afk for 5 mins during boss fight.

What I've been using
    ES > Spam HW (Cancel if you're going to overheal), if HW can't top your tank off like you would wanted, cast Riptide and keep it up but DO NOT overide it. Right after riptide, u have 2 options, 1. if the tank isn't topped off like you want, unleash your elemental thing on him and cast HW, that's about 20k heal in 1.6 seconds + global CD, not a bad trade. 2. Or continue HW spamming. If someone in your group is taking dmg, riptide and more HW spam on tank while you read a magazine.

I also recomend on getting a healing mod, Healbot or Grid.

Try to ignore using HS, CH, GHW as you should never need to use these unless someone is standing in the fire or you failed to keep the tank up using the above rotation and have spare mana.

You don't need to be smarter than an average bear to play this game, you'll do just fine just being a bear. /Cheers
    Last edited by jho369; 2011-01-09 at 05:55 PM.