Deleted

correct new DOT-mechanics / searching for bluepost

Hello dear Shadows,

as i read a whole bunch of different interpretations in different forums about the dot-mechanics and the influence of haste, i remembered a old bluepost i read on MMO shortly after the publication of the class previews in April, 2010. If i remember correctly, it was a clarification, not only that more haste adds more dots, i think it was a longer explanation with something that the duration of the dot-time is rounded down to the last possible tick... However, i can't remember the whole thing, and i'd really like to read it again, but i cannot find it anywhere.

I think it was about dot's and hot's in general, not only priest-related, and it was shortly after the class previews. I tried to find it in the bluepost-archive, but that's really large and all the links are dead because of the new official WoW-Forums. The old mmo-champion site is also gone, and so i have no idea, where to look after.

So - can anybody help me? Does anybody have a link? Am i dreaming? Does anybody remember better?

Thanks in advance,
    Shorella

your not dreaming, i read it when seeing the changes to druid hots... i have no idea where to find the blue tho, sorry!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    DOTs were supposed to gain buffs dynamically as per the post you're referring to. However, this change is not currently in the live version on the servers. Buffs gained like trinket procs and Dark Evangelism, will not update DOTs currently on the target, if said buffs were gained after the initial cast. You will need to recast your DOTS after getting damage increasing buffs for them to be factored into your DOTs. It is not a great situation, but its one we have to live with unless they make some changes in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    DoTs are updated differently per spell. There is an excellent post over at EJ which can further clarify which DoTs benefit from refreshing, and which modifiers are applied when. It's all too technical for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    DOTs were supposed to gain buffs dynamically as per the post you're referring to. However, this change is not currently in the live version on the servers. Buffs gained like trinket procs and Dark Evangelism, will not update DOTs currently on the target, if said buffs were gained after the initial cast. You will need to recast your DOTS after getting damage increasing buffs for them to be factored into your DOTs. It is not a great situation, but its one we have to live with unless they make some changes in the future.
    only VT and DP need to be cast manually, SWP will get refreshed with MF ticks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow Word: Pain benefits from a refresh mechanic, so real time changes in buffs will be factored into Shadow Word: Pain when casting Mind Flay. However, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch, and Mind Flay (yes it is a dot) do not update dynamically.

Sorry, should have been more clear on the Shadow Word: Pain thing.

Deleted
    *push back to topic*

Thank you pronmeister for confirming this post - does anybody else remind it and can provide further information or link to said bluepost?

Thanks in advance,
    Shorella

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an old blue post with the Cataclysm preview regarding haste and DoTs. Simply put, it states that the duration of DoTs will not change - only the time between ticks, meaning you will gain extra ticks to fill in the duration.

Probably not the post you're looking for, since it's not very detailed. I can't post links since I haven't made enough posts on the forums, but it's under MMO's Blue Tracker - "Cataclysm Class Preview Priest."

---------- Post added 2011-01-04 at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivicen View Post
    Thats what I suspected, but then brings me to the ultimate question: When is it worth recasting dots, if at all? What buffs are considered major enough to spare the GCDs, vs buffs that would not warrant the time spent in reapplying them?
    That's a tough question, it really depends on the proc. If you're talking a fight mechanic (STAND IN THE RUNE OMGOMGOMG) that increases your damage by 50%, recast. If your trinket procs for +1600 intellect and you have to refresh VT again in 4 seconds anyways? Probably not worth it - mind flay instead. It's all very arguable, and you're not going to get a perfect answer that tells you what to do.
    Last edited by rhyliss; 2011-01-04 at 04:39 PM.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...o-see-answered
    or
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/?page=30

You have to scroll down a bit, but I think this is what you were looking for. No mention of haste though The first link shouldn't change but the second will as MMO updates the news pages.

Deleted
    Thank you, Rhyliss, the post you mentioned was one of the first posts about this topic, but the post i remember have to be a later clarification of this short statement.

And thank you, Arlee, for the links, but they are too late, i think "my" post was in April or maybe early May.

I think i have to go through every single bluepost when i have more time at the next weekend... otherwise i'm going crazy

Thanks again,
    Shorella

Hrm that is a long time ago... almost a year ahmg heck in wow sometimes things that happen a week ago is a long time ago lol.

If I get some time today I'll see if I can dredge up anything further back as well.

Got some time.. how about this one? It seems to fit exactly what you were describing The cata blue posts are near the bottom and there are a couple of clarification posts as well.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Priest#Cataclysm_changes

Also in this link about halfway down there is a long post from GC about haste which also address the things you mentioned in your first post. Though clearly they decided to make the changes he was talking about not be reliant on a glyph.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Haste
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-01-05 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Added link