Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does Glyph of Maul screw over anyone besides me in heroics?

I haven't gone back and examined combat logs, but I sware that Glyph of Maul just seems to cause me more problems than anything else. If we encounter a pack of 4 mobs and 1 of them gets ice trapped and I'm tanking the rest, it seems like the ice trap always breaks cause of Maul hitting two targets even if the ice trapp'ed mob is not the 2nd closest to my target. No, I'm not swiping or thrashing the ice trap. Anyone else choose not to use this glyph for this reason?

Deleted
    Move the mobs away from the icetrap?

If there are 2 closer mobs to me besides my target than the ice trap, why would it hit the ice trap?

Based off of what you said, it seems you pull and then have the mob ice trapped. This disallows he use of any aoe abilities which is are useful for getting aggro. The easiest way to deal with your problem is having the cc pull. Then just stand between the mobs and your group. If you don't have enough rage I use a /cast enrage /cancelaura enrage to get rage and avoid getting the 10% increased damage taken. You should be able to keep the glyph easily if you just let the cc pull so your mobs aren't anywhere near them. Just use faerie fire to break the cc from a distance so you still keep away from the cc'd mobs.
    I once fought a Druid in Tol Barad, it was like playing name that animal and no matter what you picked you would bleed to death from that animal. - Magellanmini

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Next time dont tank mobs near a C.C target.

lol the fact that this is a complaint really makes me laugh. It's not hard at all to move away from the mobs.

The group I usually run with has hunter and shammy as only CC.

Typically I get hunter to pull with trap, shammy to instant cast hex as they are coming in and pick them up before they get to either. Try to CC casters whenever possible so you know they will move.

It's not hard at all to not stand beside the CC. The biggest CC problems I have are the dumbass hunter that spams keys and auto targets a CC after target dies. Seems hunters and DKs are the only ones I have this problem with.

You are all dense and missing the point. He's basically asking why glyph of maul isn't 'smart'. It's poor design - maul will break a CC target when there are other targets, not CCd, right next to it. When a limited aoe ability is 'smart', it will NOT do this. Most aoe abilities are smart now, and glyph of maul is not. That's why it's stupid. Even avenger's shield is smart and usually won't hit CC'd targets.

15+ Year Old Account
    i think glyph of maul is fine jsut like our swipe and trash you got to know whne to use it, back in BC swipe only hitted 3 target and even then you had to angle yourself in a way to not hit a CC targets, i think glyph of maul is much like that as it only hit targets infront of you i think

anyway tbh my threat is massive i usaly dont use maul at all anymore
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Move the mobs away from the icetrap = collect the loot?

Seems kind of obvious, seeing as you need to move him away for everyone elses AOE moves anyway. If your charging in and tanking the un CC'd mobs right next to a CC'd mob then your doing it wrong. I have Trash, Swipe and Mangle macro'd to Maul whilst leaving lacerate alone, this way i know that if i need to gain aggro on a target that is close to a CC'd target, then all i have to use is lacerate, which has an awesome amount of upfront threat now

Since everyone else thats posted here seems to be a bear hero incapable of a mistake (and lol @ that cause ive ran many heroics with fail feral tanks) ill man up and admit i had a fair bit of trouble with glyph of maul to begin with. Unfortunately all i can offer is the same advice given minus the insulting start... I start up most pulls by powershifting (out and back in) into bear for furor rage and popping enrage if its a 4+ pack. I stand between the CC targets and the rest of the group, let the mobs run by me and pick them up. This achieves two things, first it allows me to face away from CC'd mobs so i dont accidently catch them with a AoE (aka. Glyph of Maul). Secondly it allows my dps to take the mobs back easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm tanking more than 2 mobs, I'm Thrashin' and Swipin' anyway. The Maul glyph is fine, and I swear by it. Just start timing your CCs better, or learn to LoS pull. I am constantly LoS pulling stuff (vanilla-WOW-style)... the tactic has been around a good 5 years, but it is a new and exciting concept to many players, so warn them that you are doing it first. LoS pull, Maul, Thrash, Swipe, and Berserk to your hearts content.

Tank dps is not insignificant. For many trash packs and some bosses, I'm often top damage dealt. Maul and good positioning help this. Always remember, the quicker everything is dead, the less mana the healer uses, and the less AoE the DPS can stand in.

Deleted
    My pull routine:

Cast Thorns
    Signal Hunter/Mage to use their CC's on marked targets
    As they are casting their CC's I cast my Roots on my marked target (this stops the mob running past the trap before it triggers)
    Cast Bear Form / Enrage for the rage on startup
    Swipe/Thrash/Maul incoming mobs and Feral Charge any ranged mob that doesn't come forward, pulling him out of the CC mobs to where I can tank him (If Berserk is ready which most of the time it is, it's used, you cannot beat the sick damage/aggro generated from a Berserking Bear particularly if Pulverize is active!)

Result = smooth run, easy loot and frustration at the first HoO boss for never dropping the leather wrists I need for pre-heroic!

The problem you've described is happening because in its current implementation, Maul isn't what is now known as an intelligent AE attack. The only requirement for a second target to be hit is simply that the second mob is within range of the casting bear. This is unlike most AE attacks which, in addition to the basic range requirements, now also check the status of a mob.

As things stand, the only way of ensuring a cc'd target isn't hit by the secondary attack would be to either position yourself so that you're facing away from the CC, or , to move the mobs away.

Hopefully the above is of more use than the majority of previous responses which are, in the main, needless bull..

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't be tanking near a CC target anyway if at all possible.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2011-01-04 at 12:38 PM.

As they are casting their CC's I cast my Roots on my marked target (this stops the mob running past the trap before it triggers)
    And then roots breaks the trap... The simplest way is to trap first, then have everyone start casting their CC's after the trap has landed.

The simplest thing to do is to just NOT hit maul if it's questionable. If people aren't focusing, that's an issue. On the immediate pull, you have FFF, taunt, and mangle to grab instant aggro and can use whatever from there.

That said, sometimes Maul is still a bitch and has a huge range beyond what I expect.

Deleted
    Root's does not break the trap, I'm not casting Roots on the trapped target!

The idea of casting Roots as someone is casting an ice trap is that so when the trap goes off and one mob is frozen, the other mob is rooted. Otherwise if I root too soon, the rest of the mob runs forward past the trap before it has a chance to trigger.

One mob will have an ice trap on him, another mob will have Roots, they don't break each other.

The glyph shouldn't be smart, the player using the glyph should be smart. Pull the mobs away from the pack, you have demo shout to help you with initial aggro just use that and pull them back 5-10 yards.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tank in the CC all the time because I run in for body aggro as the CC goes off. There's really no reason to use maul, thrash or swipe if there's CC'd mobs nearby. Threat is fine on single target so just train yourself not to spam your aoe abilities unless you're in a position to do so. It's kinda funny because you go through all the normals and use very little cc and then need to do a 180 and CC everything in heroic.

If the healer seems decent enough, I generally don't CC in heroics anymore, except for 1 or 2 dangers mobs in a couple of instances that could still easily lead to a wipe, if people don't act accordingly. They generally seem okay with it, as long as they get their MB if they even need it.

I have an average ilevel of 354 and i've had tanks at 340ilevel on my shammy while i've been healing in 340 just pull packs without CCing anything (my shammy's not that great geared, but i still tend to drop to 40%~ mana on a big pack) which is fine, as long as they keep aggro, move out of the [insert bad stuff here] and stun any major AoE (like the earth elemental thing in stonecore).

A little bit back on topic - Yeah, glyph of maul isn't "smart" so it sucks a bit so the easiest thing to do is to just let the mobs come out (try to CC any ranged / casters) so that the melee run for you.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Its not a Smart AoE, but if there are 2 targets not cc, and one that is, Maul will hit the 2 targets not cc. I have tested this many times and have never broken a cc target. Maul has a pretty large range too, so find that sweet spot and go at it with 30 rage spam button.
    I tank in the cc all the time and have had a mob die and not realize it then break cc with a maul, but it usually doesnt matter at that point. For this reason I always try to keep 2 mobs up and attacking me in Maul range (and cause I <3 Vengeance).
    Maul is costly though, if the aggro generated from Lacerate, free Mangles, and FFF are not enough to keep off the dps, something else might be wrong. There is not a big threat issue with anything more than 3 targets when AOE tank abilities cannot be used.