Mage : sheep
    Shaman : hex / banish
    Hunter : trap
    Paladin : repentance
    Druid : roots / cyclone
    Priest : shackle / fear / MC
    DK : chains of ice
    Warrior : fear
    Where's your rogue!? Sap lasts two minutes and twenty seconds when glyphed, it never breaks early by random chance, you can set it up before the tank pulls without fear of starting off the fight with everything glaring at you, and to top it all off you can pickpocket your sap target just to rub it in his face that he's about to get roflstomped AND lose his lunch money. As a rogue, I will fearlessly charge into unknown groups to test sap on every single new mob I meet to bring more convenience to the tank, I have no issues with sacrificing my dps to spend my time chain stunning a caster mob if that's what it'll take to get the pull done, and all dps should learn to play this way.

As a tank (warrior) I declare my cc markings at the start of each instance (sap star, sheep moon, banish diamond, root triangle, mc circle, etc) and will mark them as I feel they are necessary. If my CC fail to get their cast off before I MUST TC or Cleave to establish threat then I will consider the attempt on crowd control a failure and will tank the mobs without it, bite the bullet and start running the cooldowns. With enough runs, tanks will be wearing enough dungeon blues / rep and crafted epics to handle most pulls without the use of cc.

When you run random dungeons with pugs my suggestions:
    1: If you want CC used, say so at the beginning of the run and be clear about how you want it executed (do you want a sheep pull, a trap pull, or do you want cc cast After your opening attack), be clear about which marks you will use and stick to them.

2: If a form of CC is failing, try to approach the problem from a different angle, sick a rogue on a caster to chain stun it so it wont start harassing the healer, or get a hunter to kite a "Myrmidon" or "Axemaster", utilize roots and mage snares to tangle up melee mobs and be sure to tell your group to stay the hell out of whirlwinds!

3: In the end of things, the tank is the final and most absolute crowd control. A well timed shield wall/divine protection/icebound fort can and usually does make the difference of survival and death in the face of a horrible pull. Don't panic, all of the tools are already available it's just a matter of using them to secure victory.

There are some instances, in which you don't need CC in a pull, if you can manage the mechanics of the area. Take your example of VP for instance. Those 5 mobs near the end, who pat in and out of the electric pyramid. If, for example, you have 3 DK's dpsing, then have them each strangulate a caster, so you have time to position the mobs, then place them so you are right outside the pyramid with the mobs, and the healer and dps are inside. The mobs are still outside, and the healer can focus 100% on you since the other 4 people are protected.

Also remember that CC is not the only ability that is wanted in heroics. Interrupting casts is a significant benefit. A lot of mobs in heroic will do extreme amounts of damage from spell casts, and the only way to stop it is through reflect (warriors, if it works), or to stop the cast through stun or interrupt. Three deathknights, although low in CC, would be able to lock down the entire instance of pulls, reducing the amount of overall damage output on your group by a ton.

All in all, don't just rely on CC. While is it a godsend to be able to single-target pull packs, there are other mechanics that can make pulls easier on everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    tbh Warriors could do with a CC even if its only a short one. [Knockout] would be perfect
    Cool name for spell but warriors are fine.

Hunters have Intimidation (BM), Scatter Shot, Wyvern Sting (SV), Freezing Arrow, Scare Beast. Most ccs of any class.

Deleted
    more cc would break pvp tbh

they need to do something about DK cc - chains of ice just slows the mob down, not a true cc. most other classes have something that immobilizes or takes the target out of the fight entirely.

i like the inclusion of cc now as hunters have become sought after with the freezing trap which works on almost any mob.

The other day I did a pug pinnacle hc with healer priest, balance druid, unholy dk, fury warr, and dk tank, and we did just fine. On the 2 adept pulls (and a couple of other cases) the druid rooted 1 adept, and we losd the rest away from it. Using CDs wisely we did no other CCs. Half of the group did overgear the insta, though not absurdly, but it was also no problem at all.
    We could have used a lot more CC though if we were undergeared. Don't be afraid to be inventive when you have an unusual group comp!

Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    Hunters have Intimidation (BM), Scatter Shot, Wyvern Sting (SV), Freezing Arrow, Scare Beast. Most ccs of any class.
    Some Hunter CC clarification:

Freezing Trap is very, very strong (lasts a long time, short CD, procs LnL if SV) but can be tough to place, and some mobs can avoid/are immune. If you're CC pulling, this is the way to go (it's a lot easier to place the trap right on the mob rather than try to put it along the path the mob will take if the tank pulls)
    Intimidation (BM only) is a very short stun, so it's not effectively Crowd Control when mob pulling (and pets have no ways to drop aggro anymore since Cower was changed). Useful for taking a mob off the healer, tho, while the hunter distracts/misdirects/traps.
    Wyvern Sting is SV only as noted, and since it's an instant cast makes a very nice "emergency" CC if one of the other methods fails, although with larger groups (5 or 6) we'll usually use it at the start as well.
    Scatter Shot only works when the Hunter is in melee range of the mob, so again, more useful for dealing with a mob on a healer than pulling.
    Scare Beast can be useful, however, since it's a Fear effect it can cause the mob to pull another group of mobs so should only be used in very specific situations.

Marks Hunters also have Silencing Shot, which is good for getting a caster into melee range of the tank (many caster mobs close to melee when silenced).

EDIT: Also, Hunters have Tranquilizing Shot. Those dudes that get big in Stonecore *can* be Tranq'd. If the Hunter's not doing it, ask him to nicely (most mobs say when they're enraging, these guys don't, so it may not be evident at range).
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2011-01-04 at 03:28 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I already have wyrvin sting, frost trap and a 4 second pet stun. with a ton of kiting and cc'ing featured shots to follow with.

you want to give me more? thanks.
    moderators removed my signature picture because they can't get Glad like me.

Haters Gonna Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Everyone has something they can do. Below is the list in the order I would use them. At the moment I'm seeing warlocks as the best possible CC to have in my party.

Warlock : fear / banish

Druids and below are only temp solutions, but should buy you time
    a 5 min CD cc? yeah no. good for emergencies but no cc, that and i doubt any war is glyphed for it to not make the mob run around. as far as druids go hibernate and entangeling roots arnt good cc? hibernate a caster (if possible) and root a melee, theres 2 cc's for a feral or balance dpser druid.

Quote Originally Posted by PJFreak View Post
    Lock isn't glyphed for fear
    Here's your problem. The CC is there but your group just didn't use it properly. Basically the only ones without real CC are warriors, dks, priests (maybe aoe fear glyphed is working good in pve, don't know), and paladins (repentence maybe works on most mobs nowadays?). But if your party lacks CC, use kiting more, slow, root, stun the mobs while pulling back and killing 1-2 before you start tanking the rest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Druids and below are only temp solutions, but should buy you time.
    It's true that Cyclone is only temporary. It only last's 6 seconds. Root's however (on a melee) is just as good as a sheep or sap provided no one get's near it. Also if you're dealing with Dragonkin or Beasts we have Hibernate too, which you omitted.

Yeah, I don't get stunned enough in PVP. Please add more CC.

As a DK DPSer, I'd kill for something like:

Glyph of Icy Imprisonment
    Major Glyph
    Your hungering cold now has a 30 yard range and lasts 1 minute on NPCs, but only affects your primary target.

Only PvP issue would be the range increase, but that seems like a fair trade considering unglyphed HC has unlimited targets.

Deleted
    Everyone has something they can do. Below is the list in the order I would use them. At the moment I'm seeing warlocks as the best possible CC to have in my party.

Warlock : fear / banish

Druids and below are only temp solutions, but should buy you time.
    If the Hunter is survival he could also use wyvern sting which is a good cc. Also one of the least used cc when it comes to some specifik dungeons are hibernate by druids on dragonkin and beasts. And where did your rogue went, sap before pull and if someone breaks he could blind the breaked target to buy some time.

Deleted
    If the warlock didn't glyph for fear, tell him to pull out his succubus and seduce. Easy? Yes. Tyvm.

Deleted
    Oh come on, you don't need cc at all exept for the packs with 2 adepts. Warriors have many ways to avoid damage on those pulls: shockwave, conc blow, fear, charge/intercept to the non healer caster, intervene your healer to avoid melee dmg for a while, reflect every cd, heroic leap, ... Remove the packs with 2 adepts and cc is not needed at all in heroics
    Of course, if you have cc in your group, feel free to do so. But with a good healer, decent dps who interupts on cd, you in decent tanking gear and full of confidence, no pulls should be a problem :> The talented heroic throw (silence) also comes in handy. Start pull by throwing it at a caster, charge in, rend, t-clap, make sure all mobs are on top of each other, shockwave them all, and after the stun is over you use shield block and reflect. Alot of damage avoided without the fear of breaking a cc.

With my warlock I can CC up to 3 mobs, ran heroic vortex and I was the only person who could cc, it went fine. My first heroic as a tank I got vortex pinacle, the (pug) group was resto shaman, elemental shaman, mage and warlock, there was more cc than the pulls required. It was such a cakewalk and releif to have people just know what to do we ran 4 more randoms. True story.

LOL A PROT WARRIOR ASKING FOR MORE CC
    REALLY?

Yeah, no, there's enough CC. It's bad enough that the PvP trinket doesn't make you immune to it for a few seconds.
    It would make using it much more dynamic if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldjman View Post
    Warriors viable in multiple comps? lolno. Any high rated warrior falls under the following;
    1) wintraded.
    2) very high mmr at the start of the season, so they fought their way to glad at 5 am vs 2k teams.
    3) has their connections from previous seasons carry their class.
    Also, we most certainly weren't the most op in S9. Dk's were a better warrior in every aspect. Thanks for trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zheryn View Post
    Here's your problem. The CC is there but your group just didn't use it properly. Basically the only ones without real CC are warriors, dks, priests (maybe aoe fear glyphed is working good in pve, don't know), and paladins (repentence maybe works on most mobs nowadays?). But if your party lacks CC, use kiting more, slow, root, stun the mobs while pulling back and killing 1-2 before you start tanking the rest.
    MC is one of the strongest CC's available right now. You not only CC BUT you can use the mobs abilities against them. Take VP for example, MC the adepts then use their heal and watch how much it heals for if we run a priest healer in the group we'll use both MC's IF we can MC one of the healers. Only downfall to MC is that apparently they dont like you playing around in their mind and it can be tough to pull the target off the priest due to the sheer amount of agro MC is.
    Last edited by scandalis; 2011-01-04 at 08:55 PM.