Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soloing old content at 85 - how far can you go?

Hola amigos, first post

I'm a bored level 85 warrior, waiting for guildies to get geared so we can start crushing some content. One of the great things to in the game is, without a doubt, to make money, and when is there a better time to do it when your bored? Anyways, I've found a great way to get a lot of gold: Soloing old content. Every week, I make sure to clear Molten core (which I do easily by myself, each run yields around 700g, if your lucky enough to get an Ingot off of Golemagg, or blood of the mountain, you can sell that for some gold as well), Blackwing Lair (I do this with a paladin friend of mine, haven't kept track of how much this gives but Nefarian himself drops over 100g), and AQ20 / Karazhan. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and I've easily made 4-5k gold. Plus, it gives me a chance to collect many of the warrior tiers, and a chance at getting legendaries. As I continue to solo most of the Vanilla-era instances, or do them with a holy paladin, the list of instances that I do each week has grown incredibly. We've done SSC (can't kill Vashj cause that's just too crazy), Gruul, TK (we can't kill Kael due to the MC, paladins can't use daggers apparantly), and Magtheridon.

With that in mind, I raided during Vanilla and WotLK, but didn't raid any of the later content in BC such as Hyjal, Black Temple, or Sunwell. Could you do these instances with two people? If you could easily, would you be able to make moves into WotLK raid instances if you brought some more dps?

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I really did was just solo BC dungeons on hero for rep and the tabard, havent even touched Wotlk stuff. I really wouldnt think you could solo raids in Wotlk, only if you brung a few healers and a tank then yes possibly. Also farming Purple T2 pally on my Death Knight with only 2 moar peices to go
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

Speaking as a hunter:
    Vanilla content + Kara is laughably easy these days.

Gruul's and Mag's I duoed with my ret husband, they were snorefests. I could probably solo them, but I wouldn't want to--the healing adds in P1 for Mag's and the first boss in Gruul's just... meh, too much work for me to care.

T5 content is rougher. Hunters have soloed their old T5 2pc bonus (Void Reaver/Leonidas). A DK has soloed Kael'Thas, but that's because by soloing him, you nullify his Mind Control. If you duo, he'll MC both of you and reset unless you push him to P5 before he gets a chance to MC (difficult). So you'll need 3+ for him. Haven't heard anything about SSC beyond Leonidas. I think the Lurker should be np, a feral on the achievement forum claimed to solo him when I told him to fish him up. Heard about some hunters soloing Rage Winterchill, don't think it's possible to do Archimonde. Illidan would own your face because of the elementals coming together on you, but I think I've heard some of the bosses in BT are soloable.

You might also have some luck with the first bosses in each wing of Naxx.

Really, people are still interested in all these old instances for achievements they never got, or tier they missed and want for vanity, or just sheer cash drops. Ask in trade--a group of 5 should be easy to assemble and will probably be able to handle any BC raid.

I think alot of the bosses in Naxxramas are soloable.
    I play a bear druid and the first thing I did when I dinged 85 was go and see if I could solo Anub in Naxx.
    I can't remember the excact % he was at but I was pretty close (also I just had a standard tanking spec, not optimal for soloing).
    And my gear has significently increased since then, I feel pretty confident that if I went back there right now I would be able to solo him.
    If you bring a healer aswell it should all be easy mode.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Cudikid - You could most certainly do some bosses in Mount Hyjal, there is a youtube video with a mage soloing the first 2 bosses at level 80.
    Some bosses in BT shouldn't be a problem either, atleast no big problem
    Tried doing ZA? It's really fun.. I did it with me (retri paladin) and a rogue friend.. intense fights for us, but since you are Tank / Healer it shouldn't be a problem. Also! You will have chance on the Mojo pet, I think..
    Naxx and Ulduar content - Some bosses should be no prob.. I'v 3manned 3-4 naxx bosses in 80. :>

@DownButStillOut - I have that set on both my Paladin and Warrior Only 4 pieces in the real T2 tho..
    Last edited by Sonoka; 2011-01-04 at 01:15 PM.
    7-11 never stop

Me and a few friends 3man all the old raids taking maybe 20mins each and 4man all the TBC raids.

It is a great way to earn gold and some old cool items.

Oversized Avatar removed - Cilraaz

As a mage that solo'd lvl60 Onyxia at lvl70, I am tackling ambitious solos. I solo heroic: UP for the Mount pretty easily. My ego solo, though, is twin emps. Hardest solo in the game for a mage, I believe. But I think its possible.

Deleted
    Well, me and a friend has pretty much 2 manned all content, know alot of it is soloable but we like to 2 man it. ( This was done at level 80 )

We had to 3 man Lady Vash'j though, maybe possible to 2 man her now at 85, I dunno, haven't tried yet.

Almost all of naxx content can be soloed / 2 manned

By the way... You can run by pretty much everything in sethekk halls when farming for Anzu now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoka View Post
    Tried doing ZA? It's really fun.. I did it with me (retri paladin) and a rogue friend.. intense fights for us, but since you are Tank / Healer it shouldn't be a problem. Also! You will have chance on the Mojo pet, I think..
    You only need to kill trash to get Mojo.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive tried to solo Flame Laviathon in Ulduar with 4 towers up, im almost 100% sure it would be doable with no towers, he was at 68MIL/88MIL.. If I remember he has 20MIL on non-heroic, the catapults scale with gear so its very beastmode.

I've been killing Skadi at Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle every day now as a elemental shammy for the blue proto-drake. It's fairly easy and you can skip some trashes and the first two bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far the best I've done is Sethek Halls Heroic, for the mount.

Deleted
    WotLK: Several bosses in Naxx (Heigan, Noth, Saph, Loatheb, Anub and probably a few more that I don't know of yet), FL in Uld, Ony10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPO2pjCktxQ cause I bet you won't believe me... only 2 days ago), and unconfirmed: Malygos (EoE) and Archavon (VoA).

TBC: All of Tempest Keep, 3 or 4 in SSC, Magtheridon, a few bosses in Black Temple, Gruul (although I'm not sure about first boss in his lair - High King Maulgar), Karazhan easily (I'm quite sure that was already possible pre-Cata) and all of Battle for Mount Hyjal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ed64o7Bcg, again, only a few days ago. Videos for other bosses have also been posted by the same guy), probably most of Zul'aman (if not all), and idk about Sunwell (nothing on YT and haven't seen any 'claims' either).

Vanilla: all of MC, all except first boss of Blackwing Lair (mechanics =P), first 4(?) in AQ40, all of AQ20, and damn that's all of the Vanilla raids that are still in-game already!

Cata: not much obviously, and sorry for adding this to old content... Anyway, just a few dungeon bosses, Slabhide (Stonecore) is worth mentioning cause he drops a mount even in normal! =)

Most of this can easily be found on Youtube or by googling if you don't believe me... Good luck and have fun soloing! =D
    Last edited by mmoca572945696; 2011-01-04 at 02:37 PM.

Me and my friend as holy pala /dk did half of BT, but were not able to kill RoS. We also managed 1. boss in SwP

I soloed all the beginning trash of BT. Also managed to "tank" the first boss for 11+ minutes with no real problem. Just couldn't kill him because he wouldn't target me with the spikes since I was top threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished requesting all of Eastern kingdom and Kalimdor for all achivements. Already had Loremaster, i must have made about 1500 gold. Quite fun time, and loving all the new quests, they sure made me pass a good 3 days. Now whenever i fly doing archeology i don't see any exclamation mark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    I just finished requesting all of Eastern kingdom and Kalimdor for all achivements. Already had Loremaster, i must have made about 1500 gold. Quite fun time, and loving all the new quests, they sure made me pass a good 3 days. Now whenever i fly doing archeology i don't see any exclamation mark
    Err, how is this relevant?

OT: Gruuls is a bitch (the first boss at least). I doubt that can be soloed with the Fears and Sheeps and such.

Molten Core is the only one I finished entirely.

Beacuse I want the Warlock-set that drops.

Very nice raid.

Shame I didnt do it in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathies View Post
    As a mage that solo'd lvl60 Onyxia at lvl70, I am tackling ambitious solos. I solo heroic: UP for the Mount pretty easily. My ego solo, though, is twin emps. Hardest solo in the game for a mage, I believe. But I think its possible.
    lol. Trolling hard i see. Keep trying.

Don't call people trolls. It is a violation of the Forum Guidelines. - Simca
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-01-04 at 03:23 PM.