Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Elemental breaking polymorph

Is anyone else having an issue with their water elemental breaking polymorph? If I have my elemental on defensive and cast polymorph on a target the elemental immediately targets my sheep (pig/monkey/turtle) and breaks it. I end up putting my elemental on passive for any pull that requires CC, but sometimes I forget to tell it to attack. It would be much easier if the elemental would not attack my polymorphed target (unless I later cast an offensive spell towards it).

Is this a known bug or expected behavior?

no idea, either way, macro your polymorph spell with a pet stop attack macro and macro your frostbolt with a pet cast his waterbolt or wte
    World PvP and how it stands/standed.
    World PvP isn't meant to be balanced, fair nor honorable. It's meant to be brutal, relentless, deadly.. and it's the survival of the fittest. It's a fight where everything goes and you use anything you can to survive and win. It's War.. a World of Warcraft where only the best survive!

Have the same issue with my hunter. If I trap something pet goes and breaks it, same with Wyvern Sting as well.

REALLY annoying.

Put a pet attack macro in all your offensive abilities , not just /petattack since that will fuck it up if you spamm the button, and also a /stop pet attack macro on in your poly, proper macros can be found somewhere on Elitistjerks.com
    [23:35:54] [B] [80:Fetølboks-Dea:5]: stop running into die

[21:12:45] [G] [13:Warriorelfo]: Troll is a horde and cant be in a alliance guild

Deleted
    Macro it, maybe a pet attacks main target and macro your wyvern or trap onto a focus ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Your pet should be on passive...always.
    BfA Beta Time

Wait...

What's does /petattack screw up again?

That's what I'm using and if its goofy ill switch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Wait...

Spamming /petattack is just like spamming /autoattack; you turn it off and on. (If i'm not misstaken)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Wait...

If you hit your /petattack macro then hit it again before your pet's GCD has finished, your pet will just spam reset its cast timer, causing it to never actually use Waterbolt. Best bet, macro it to Ice Lance, since the GCD on both Waterbolt and Ice Lance is equal and you really shouldn't be mashing that key anyway.
    BfA Beta Time

Tedj, Vulkyr:
    I keep meaning to look into macros because I know that they would be helpful, but something else always comes up (i.e. archeology). I am definitely going to add a stopattack macro on my polymorph spell. I am hoping to be able to do something with focus target so I don't have to always switch back and forth between targets.

swizzle: Is there a reason to always have a pet on passive? I can think of certain situations where that is a good idea, but I don't understand why you would always want that especially when it would mean a drop in dps if you don't start attacking right away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundandRound View Post
    swizzle: Is there a reason to always have a pet on passive? I can think of certain situations where that is a good idea, but I don't understand why you would always want that especially when it would mean a drop in dps if you don't start attacking right away.
    On Defensive, your pet won't be attacking if you're not either.
    BfA Beta Time

Passive +

#showtooltip Frostbolt
    /cast Frostbolt
    /cast !Waterbolt

works wonders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    On Defensive, your pet won't be attacking if you're not either.
    That is the behavior that I want. If I am not casting polymorph defensive works fine for me because my WE starts attacking as soon as I begin casting.

However, when my water elemental is on defensive it considers casting polymorph an "attack" so it starts attacking as well. By the time I cast polymorph the first water bolt has been cast which immediately breaks my sheep.

In my opinion casting polymorph should not cause the WE to begin casting. The only effect this has is to break CC which a pet should *not* do, IMHO.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundandRound View Post
    That is the behavior that I want. If I am not casting polymorph defensive works fine for me because my WE starts attacking as soon as I begin casting.

However, when my water elemental is on defensive it considers casting polymorph an "attack" so it starts attacking as well. By the time I cast polymorph the first water bolt has been cast which immediately breaks my sheep.

In my opinion casting polymorph should not cause the WE to begin casting. The only effect this has is to break CC which a pet should *not* do, IMHO.
    Just keep it on passive so it never attacks anything you don't want, is always with you and not chasing random things, and allows for quicker OOC.
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account
    Just keep it on passive so it never attacks anything you don't want, is always with you and not chasing random things, and allows for quicker OOC.
    I have to disagree on keeping pets on passive, it is just stupid and other than causing unnecessary hard-ache for the mage in terms of micro management and macros it is (no matter how you look at it) a DPS loss. The ONLY and I say only time being on Defensive is a problem is when you are sheeping something, this is very easily fixed by having a stopcasting macro for the WE (which is also good when the WE goes all who the hell knows where and you need to bring them back into Freeze range/LoS).
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    I have to disagree on keeping pets on passive, it is just stupid and other than causing unnecessary hard-ache for the mage in terms of micro management and macros it is (no matter how you look at it) a DPS loss. The ONLY and I say only time being on Defensive is a problem is when you are sheeping something, this is very easily fixed by having a stopcasting macro for the WE (which is also good when the WE goes all who the hell knows where and you need to bring them back into Freeze range/LoS).
    I still think that this is something that Blizzard should look into (WE breaking polymorph), but I imagine that it will be pretty low on their priority list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    A) How is it a DPS loss?
    B) Why is it stupid?
    C) Your solution is just as micro-management heavy as keeping it on passive.
    BfA Beta Time

A) How is it a DPS loss?
    B) Why is it stupid?
    C) Your solution is just as micro-management heavy as keeping it on passive.
    It is a DPS loss (albeit small) if you have your pet on passive and don't set it to attack a target. Maybe this isn't an issue for your first target, but as you switch between 3-4 targets throughout the course of a pull that micro management adds up.

As far as I can tell adding a stopcasting macro to a polymorph spell and leaving the WE in defensive actually adds zero micro management. I would be able to cast polymorph (without the WE breaking it) and then move to my first target which the WE would immediately start attacking. The only possible micro would be if I started attacking the wrong target and needed to switch to another target in which case I would need to command the WE to change targets. However this would be the same case for either defensive or passive (or even aggressive).

I don't disagree that passive is a valid option for some players. However, I think that there is an easier way than having to micro every pet action throughout the course of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your elemental hates you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    Your elemental hates you.
    And here I was thinking that we had something special...