Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Curse of course, which brings me to my next question... I haven't gotten around to re-downloading Mozzila with NoScript since my HD fried and I got this replacement (110Gig, FML,) and was curious as to Wowwiki's integrity, as both them and Curse had some issues regarding adds and temporary file worms (imbedding via the temp. files, THANK YOU IE7.)

I know Curse resolved the issue on their end, but seeing as Wowwiki is slowly dieing due to the shift from the core staff to WoWPedia, is WoWWiki no longer secure? I've noticed quite a increase in adds in general, just not sure if they still have the old "AntiVirus 2009" malware.... Any news?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    Curse of course, which brings me to my next question... I haven't gotten around to re-downloading Mozzila with NoScript since my HD fried and I got this replacement (110Gig, FML,) and was curious as to Wowwiki's integrity, as both them and Curse had some issues regarding adds and temporary file worms (imbedding via the temp. files, THANK YOU IE7.)

I know Curse resolved the issue on their end, but seeing as Wowwiki is slowly dieing due to the shift from the core staff to WoWPedia, is WoWWiki no longer secure? I've noticed quite a increase in adds in general, just not sure if they still have the old "AntiVirus 2009" malware.... Any news?
    WoWWiki is controlled by Wikia, not Curse. Curse controls the new site, Wowpedia.

And seeing that WoWWiki is dying, I would not be surprised if its security is compromised at one point or another along its downward descent. It already has 100x more ads than Wowpedia will have (saying will have since currently Wowpedia has none!).

Wowpedia was a direct copy of WoWWiki as of sometime in Sept/Oct, and since most of the staff and users moved (only one admin remains at WoWWiki), there really isn't any reason to use WoWWiki since it has more ads and less information.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuyin View Post
    do you even know what an hacker is before to open a thread like this accusing someone to do something he's tring to get out of the internet?

definition of hacker: person with above average computer skills who works on the code of any software to understand how it works and possibly improve it.
    they warned microsoft of 99% of the bugs and exploits in windows 98, used by the crackers to damage computers.

definition of cracker: person with above average computer skills who does anything he can to damage computers, access data or anything he wants. they use keyloggers, backdoors, bugs and exploits to gain access of someone's pc and transfer the data they want to their computer.

read it, understand it, stop going around "OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!!!!11" and tell me that you don't feel better knowing that an hacker wrote dbm and not a cracker.
    Do you understand that a question is a question? I didn't accuse the original coder of anything, my guildies did, I was asking if anyone has heard the same. For the record, I could of used Black Hat as a more exact term as somebody above pointed out, but seeing as there was no proof that he used anything he gained maliciously, that, as well as "cracker" would have been a mis-label. The phrases Black/White/Grey Hat was used to describe the classic breed of hackers and general computer enthusiest.

Creating mal/adware, as well as viruses/worms/trojens etc.. doesn't explicitly make somebody a cracker, Microsoft Kinect has proved to have market reading abilties (while extremely un-ethical and thus unlikely,), likewise tracking cookies are written by "hackers". If DBM took down my system specs' or character/realm demographics it's still hacking, but not maliciously, either way, that's information some people may reject becoming public.

GG Though.

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 02:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    WoWWiki is controlled by Wikia, not Curse. Curse controls the new site, Wowpedia.

And seeing that WoWWiki is dying, I would not be surprised if its security is compromised at one point or another along its downward descent. It already has 100x more ads than Wowpedia will have (saying will have since currently Wowpedia has none!).

Wowpedia was a direct copy of WoWWiki as of sometime in Sept/Oct, and since most of the staff and users moved (only one admin remains at WoWWiki), there really isn't any reason to use WoWWiki since it has more ads and less information.
    Yes they were both seperate but both had the same ad running and spreading that damnable malware, and hurray for WoWPedia being run by Curse, wasn't aware of that, just wish they would shape the data-base to cover older info', as I find myself at WoWWiki for some things still, and seeing as how they just had three attempted pop-ups on one page, I think they're going down-hill security wise...

Malicious rumour with no evidence.
    Find out this so called evidence from your guild before coming here and scaremongering.
    Present us with something solid or stop it entirely.

The information present on Wowwiki has not disappeared into the nether, it is still there.
    So you cannot just say it has "less information".
    Character/Realm demographics as far as character name, class, spec, realm name etc are all readily available information anyway so hardly hacking.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-01-05 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuyin View Post
    do you even know what an hacker is before to open a thread like this accusing someone to do something he's tring to get out of the internet?

definition of hacker: person with above average computer skills who works on the code of any software to understand how it works and possibly improve it.
    they warned microsoft of 99% of the bugs and exploits in windows 98, used by the crackers to damage computers.

definition of cracker: person with above average computer skills who does anything he can to damage computers, access data or anything he wants. they use keyloggers, backdoors, bugs and exploits to gain access of someone's pc and transfer the data they want to their computer.

read it, understand it, stop going around "OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!! OMG HACKER!!!!11" and tell me that you don't feel better knowing that an hacker wrote dbm and not a cracker.
    The definitions have changed so much since you kids started looking at computers as something more than a nerd's toy.

Hacking is any form of exploitation to gain a type of access to something you normally wouldn't have. Finding bugs, loopholes, back doors and anything along that line is normally considered a hack.

Cracking on the other hand is a brute force term for gaining access. Password botting, key logging, DoS attacks, virii, worm programs and trojans are forms of cracking. Breaking down defenses instead of going around them.

Now in the end, you can be a white hat or a black hat, with white being doing it for good reasons that aren't directly harmful or malicious, or black hatting for profit and teh lulz.

Please refrain from attempting to explain anything in the future, as you are clearly not able to do so without sounding like you're ignorant.
    Thelamon Thelavon Thelason Thelazon
    I think you get the point of my names now.

Why does it matter if he's a hacker or not?
    He created an awesome addon.
    If your security software haven't picked up anything from DBM by this time, it isn't infected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

IMO, just use a darn authenticator... Only one way to hack an authenticator so far, and if you have even a moderately decent antivirus software, you should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Once DXE is updated for Cataclysm, DBM will go back to being subpar anyway, like it was in Wrath.
    /facepalm.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    /facepalm.
    I agree...A rumor is nothing more than that...a rumor. Proof or it didn't happen. OP is nothing more than an idiot or a troll.

Besides, at this day and age...if you don't use an authenticator you kinda deserve to get hacked..deleted, perma-banned...locked in a tower, shot, or anything else horrible.

Jesus christ people, use some Common sense

Edit: Forgot to say that DXE sucks...but that's more of a personal preference
    Last edited by Conkersman; 2011-01-05 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkersman View Post
    I agree...A rumor is nothing more than that...a rumor. Proof or it didn't happen. OP is nothing more than an idiot or a troll.

Besides, at this day and age...if you don't use an authenticator you kinda deserved to get hacked..deleted, perma-banned...locked in a tower, shot, or anything else horrible.

Jesus christ people, use some Common sense
    What's common sense? It sounds hard.......

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aearion View Post
    What's common sense? It sounds hard.......
    I think it's something we've lost during our evolution

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thela View Post
    The definitions have changed so much since you kids started looking at computers as something more than a nerd's toy.

Hacking is any form of exploitation to gain a type of access to something you normally wouldn't have. Finding bugs, loopholes, back doors and anything along that line is normally considered a hack.

Cracking on the other hand is a brute force term for gaining access. Password botting, key logging, DoS attacks, virii, worm programs and trojans are forms of cracking. Breaking down defenses instead of going around them.

Now in the end, you can be a white hat or a black hat, with white being doing it for good reasons that aren't directly harmful or malicious, or black hatting for profit and teh lulz.

Please refrain from attempting to explain anything in the future, as you are clearly not able to do so without sounding like you're ignorant.
    And then there's this guy, trying to sound smart and force his genius over us all

Addons can't interact outside of running WoW, all addon can do is to save some information onto your harddrive, and they are not loaded during login screen which means they are 100% safe, so you shouldn't really care who wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens if he is a legit programmer,some halfwit slagging him off,dbm ived used since day 1 of release still got my account, and i bet alot of other people have too, give me proof screenshot proof, not your guildies says so theory.

Deleted
    So your heard that from somebody who heard from somebody that the author of a WoW addon, which is nothing more than just a file with lines of text, cannot do anything outside Blizzard's engine at all, and has been more or less helpful to raiders for a very long time, could possibly be a hacker.

Yeah. Sure.

Closed.