Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oinkz View Post
    Things that have served me well just like others have stated are Cloak of Shadows and Feint. I cannot tell you how much I love Feint. I have it glyphed so it costs no energy and i usually use it while I am pooling energy (Except fights with large aoe's i try and save it for those moments, specially the aoe's that hit everyone this helps the healer out and will make them love you). Another thing I have gotten used to is just straight up RUNNING OUT OF MELEE RANGE. Most bosses you can avoid the devastating hits but im not 100% perfect so sometimes i slip up so instead of making the healer triage me i'll run out and pop a potion or wait till there is time for a spare heal. Some fights are REALLY heal intensive so i will pop some spare cp's on a recup.

TLDR:
    1) Don't piss of healers (use feint and Cloak as well as some self heals if needed)
    2) Don't stand in stupid stuff
    3) Kill all mages in your party for their stupid ring of frost BS that covers all aoe's
    That's true. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Oinkz View Post
    Another thing I have gotten used to is just straight up RUNNING OUT OF MELEE RANGE.
    Yes, but, WHEN do you run out of melee range?

Aside from dying, how do I know when a boss is about to do something I have to run away from? In previous expansions I've never had this problem as there hasn't been anywhere near as close to the amount of risk for a melee DPS as there is in this expansion. There were always things you had to avoid and there was always minor AoE damage, but I can only think of a handful of bosses/mobs in previous expansions where you had to be miles away from them or be insta-killed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love that heroics have this level of challenge to them; all I'm asking for is the knowledge with which to arm myself to succeed at that challenge. Currently I only have guesswork and the vote-kick system.

A rogue's guide to not dying in heroics:
    1. Don't stand in the stuff.
    2. Use an encounter mod.(Deadly Boss Mods)
    3. Use Tricks of the Trade, Feint, and Vanish to reduce threat.
    4. Use any other life saving abilities to not die. ie. Cloak of Shadows, Combat Readiness, Recuperate, and Evasion are a few.

Also, if you don't know the fight, just ask the group for a quick explanation.
    Last edited by Krid; 2011-01-06 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    [...]Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love that heroics have this level of challenge to them; all I'm asking for is the knowledge with which to arm myself to succeed at that challenge. Currently I only have guesswork and the vote-kick system.
    Typically, before I tank (sometimes before DPSing) an instance I'll head to Wowhead and read up on the abilities for every boss in the instance. Read what they do, think about it a bit. Then read the comments, as you'll usually find multiple guides there discussing important details.

You can also hit places like tankspot for information on this sort of thing.
    I mention tanking because tanks typically need to know similar things to what a melee DPS will need to know - roughly the same area of activity.

I'm usually the last to die, or I don't die at all. Your point is invalid.

But, really? Either you are not moving from bad stuff or healers just don't like your face. Simple as that hombre. Also try Recuperate some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Israel....no Palestine....no Israel...no....
    I'm honestly pretty surprised you're dying...I've found that I feel more able to survive than many other dps classes...which is weird cause we're rogues I know but seriously I'm generally the last dps up in a wipe, if not the last person (heals die, tank dies, dps one by one for that situation generally).

Know the fight mechanics and just be sure to stay extra aware.
    People tell me rogues are unfair.......then I stab them.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareKRO View Post
    Know the fight mechanics and just be sure to stay extra aware.
    Seriously, this is your reply?

THIS IS THE QUESTION I'VE BEEN ASKING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE THREAD!

Where. Can. I. Find. Out. About. The. Fight. Mechanics.?

Is that spelled out enough for you?

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    Typically, before I tank (sometimes before DPSing) an instance I'll head to Wowhead and read up on the abilities for every boss in the instance. Read what they do, think about it a bit. Then read the comments, as you'll usually find multiple guides there discussing important details.

You can also hit places like tankspot for information on this sort of thing.
    I mention tanking because tanks typically need to know similar things to what a melee DPS will need to know - roughly the same area of activity.
    I've been finding Wowhead and Thottbot to be completely out of date with a lot of things so I haven't been going there much for anything. But I didn't think of Tankspot so thanks, I'll go there and check out those guides.

The only advice I would add is to ensure that you keep recuperate up on yourself at all times. With the healer(s) concentrating on the tank it's your responsibility to try and mitigate any damage you might pick up and if you're at full health then you've got more chance of surviving rng damage than if you're always hovering at 50% because the healer is worried about their mana pool.
    I know all our capabilities should be offensive based and to 'waste' combo points on a 5 point recuperate instead of a rupture seems at odds with our class, but as already mentioned if you're dead your dps is 0% anyways...

Deleted
    Well, the usuale melee rules, stand behind the boss/mobs, dont stand in fire, and dont overaggro. I would say

Only going to list things that do major damage and can 1-2 shot you.

Throne of the Tides:

Lady Naz'jar - Interrupt shock blast, don't stand in the water sprouts, interrupt casting adds.

Commander Ulthok - Stay as far as possible away from him while melee'ing (if u can't do it successfully then get out of melee range shortly) for when he casts dark fissure.
    stay out of the aoe dark fissure produces

Erunak Stonespeaker - stay out of aoe on the ground (it dusts before it hits) and interrupt lava bolt.

Blackrock Caverns:

Rom'ogg Bonecrusher - DPS chains and run away from him immediately after.

Karsh Steelbender - stay out of fire, use feint every time tank runs him through the firefall.

Grim Batol:

General Umbriss - Don't be in front of him when he casts ground siege.

Forgemaster Throngus - Stay behind him when he equips shield. Watch for cave in's.

Drahga Shadowburner - DPS the add that pops up, if it chooses you, run away from it. Stay behind the dragon when it fire breathes, wide cone of effect.

Erudax - run towards the vortex and stand in it when he casts shadow gale. DPS adds before they reach eggs.

Stonecore:

Corborus - stay away from the crystal shards he spits out, when he goes underground watch for the dust on the ground, it will form a linear path, be as parallel as possible to it and distanced.

Slabhide - don't stand in the dark spots, hide behind rocks when he aoe's, watch for ground dusting for a sign that lava is about to come.

Ozruk - run away immediately after paralyze, don't stand on the tank

High Priestess Azil - interrupt force grip, move out of gravity wells asap, in phase 2 dont get hit by the rocks she throws.

Vortex Pinnacle:

Grand Vizier Ertan - stay on the boss the whole time, don't move out of melee range

Altairus - don't get hit by tornados, stay upwind

Asaad - jump when he casts static cling, get into the electric triangle he forms before it full forms.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

Youtube. You can pretty much search just about any boss in any heroic's name along with "Yoggscast" and you will get the "how to" video by those guys. Pretty informative for seeing bosses abilities and such. Keep in mind that this videos are from beta and these guys are in full T11 so some of the things they think are trivial, are not so trivial for lesser geared groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to use Tricks of the Trade for making sure I do not get attacked, if you are getting attacked and it's nothing related to threat then you're just doing something wrong.

EDIT: Also I tend to get more threat than the tank at the beginning of the fight because I do some insane burst damage because I like to blow all cooldowns at the beginning (tell me if that is bad or not) which I therefore use tricks like a said above.

Also I usually top the DPS meter by a good 2k dps if not more except for some mages that can get close sometimes (I'm really not lying).
    Last edited by Duronos; 2011-01-06 at 07:30 PM.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by ruzhy6 View Post
    Only going to list things that do major damage and can 1-2 shot you.
    Thank you! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonghost View Post
    Youtube. You can pretty much search just about any boss in any heroic's name along with "Yoggscast" and you will get the "how to" video by those guys. Pretty informative for seeing bosses abilities and such. Keep in mind that this videos are from beta and these guys are in full T11 so some of the things they think are trivial, are not so trivial for lesser geared groups.
    Excellent, thanks.

It's sounds rather impossible that you'd take aggro in any way. You've got your ToT glyph, which makes it free of charge, so you can spam it. I usually combine that in the start with my cds if we do not have a BL/TW. That way, the tanks gonna get massive aggro burst, and you can chill. If the tank is handling to bad, you can always vanish and get a garrote up and ignore rupture for a time.

I can use ToT and feint and still pull aggro. It amazes me sometimes.

learn what the boss does, you CAN counter it

AoE ability? feint

magical effect? cloak of shadows

giant interruptable spell? kick

if all else fails, try and keep recup up somewhat without forfeiting too much dps. but since you say you're getting one-hit, it's probably one of the first two.

one example I can think of that you've bumped into I'm sure is H stonecore, the worm boss. sprint, especially glyphed sprint the hell away from where the worm is burrowing.

aggro? vanish, evasion, or tricks.

rogue's draught helps too, if you pick enough pockets you basically have an infinite number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krid View Post
    I can use ToT and feint and still pull aggro. It amazes me sometimes.
    vanish certainly helps. maybe CC more so the tank has less targets to deal with. a kill order could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Pretty shit hot dps? yet you say you die. Dead dps is shit dps. Don't pull aggro, don't stand in shit, and just do your job without dying.

Seriously, this is your reply?

Wowhead much? or hell, even google?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    vanish certainly helps. maybe CC more so the tank has less targets to deal with. a kill order could help.
    I'm talking about bosses here and I also vanish after overkill fades.

my main is rogue, but i started tanking on another char this weekend and i was startled to what i saw.

ran 3 regs, 3 different rogues. all well geared and obviously just rep farming. none of which used tricks, and only 1 used vanish during boss fights.

if you want to stay alive for the love of god use your threat reducing ability.