Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Radeon HD5770 over Radeon HD5550

Will replacing my HD5550 with an HD5770 let me see a great increase in FPS and allow me to turn up a few more settings? I hit 24 FPS at the lowest in wide open spaces, and get up to 44 FPS in enclosed areas. I have an AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor at 3.00GHz, and feel my video card is what is lacking and taking my FPS down a notch. These FPS rates are with Shadows, Sunshafts and Liquid Detail all low or off, View Distance at Good, with Ground Clutter and Environment Detail at Low. Texture Resolution is on High, as I've experienced no real drop or escalation in FPS fiddling with that. Projected Textures is on, and Particle Effects are set at Fair. I'd really like to get more setting up and at more FPS. I also have a 1920 by 1080 resolution screen, which may be a stress factor too...

While WoW is more CPU than GPU hungry, 1920x1080 is too much for a 5550 to handle (1280x1024). 5750/5770 would be a huge improvement.

I'd personally go for a 460 756MB if you're looking to upgrade. It costs virtually the same as the 5770 and in most benchmarks I've seen beats it by a decent margin.

it's your CPU bro

Quote Originally Posted by swordy View Post
    it's your CPU bro
    Not really...it can handle games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and do Cinebench with fairly decent results

Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    Not really...it can handle games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and do Cinebench with fairly decent results
    Yes, upgrading your graphics card to a 5770 will increase your fps, but upgrading your cpu to a phenom II would help just as much if not more. Like someone else said, wow is CPU rather than GPU hungry.

I'm using that same CPU with a 9600GT and I get steady 60 FPS everywhere with everything on Good, or high, and a few things pushed up to Ultra. I think something else may be wrong here, but it's really hard to tell since he didn't post his full specs. I am only playing at 1680x1050 though.

EDIT: (My specs are on the page that my sig links to.)
    EDIT2: Or not, what are you doing xfire why are you hiding my info
    Last edited by Zeriphal; 2011-01-05 at 03:19 AM.
    Look ahead and see, there's still so many borders we could cross
    Just you and me, making up for all the time that we have lost.

I am unaware of where to look on my computer to get full specs. It was a gift from my parents and the boxes are well on their way to being recycled into new boxes.

Download CPU-Z or run a dxdiag

Quote Originally Posted by Exp View Post
    Yes, upgrading your graphics card to a 5770 will increase your fps, but upgrading your cpu to a phenom II would help just as much if not more. Like someone else said, wow is CPU rather than GPU hungry.
    Oh I realize, but its true what Cows said, the 5550 has some issues when you crank stuff up at 1920x1080. I also looked at a handful of gaming benchmarks for what I said.
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-01-05 at 03:29 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    I'd personally go for a 460 756MB if you're looking to upgrade. It costs virtually the same as the 5770 and in most benchmarks I've seen beats it by a decent margin.
    5770 supports dx11 (if you have windows 7) which will increase your FPS by a good amount (Boub put up the specs the other day, 30% increase according to the benchmarks of dx11 vs dx9). I've had both (my gtx460 died) and I'm much happier with my 5770.

Quote Originally Posted by Exp View Post
    Yes and no, this was true of WoW pre-4.0.1. The new water effects and sun shafts that the OP is talking about are both GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    While WoW is more CPU than GPU hungry, 1920x1080 is too much for a 5550 to handle (1280x1024). 5750/5770 would be a huge improvement.
    This is true. Drop back to 1280x1024 and you'll go up a lot. I have a higher decent res on my home computer (at work currently so I'm not sure the exact amount) and still pull 200fps in quiet parts of Orgrimmar. Of course that takes into account all my other specs which are pretty decent.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlyrrh View Post
    Will replacing my HD5550 with an HD5770 let me see a great increase in FPS and allow me to turn up a few more settings? I hit 24 FPS at the lowest in wide open spaces, and get up to 44 FPS in enclosed areas. I have an AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor at 3.00GHz, and feel my video card is what is lacking and taking my FPS down a notch. These FPS rates are with Shadows, Sunshafts and Liquid Detail all low or off, View Distance at Good, with Ground Clutter and Environment Detail at Low. Texture Resolution is on High, as I've experienced no real drop or escalation in FPS fiddling with that. Projected Textures is on, and Particle Effects are set at Fair. I'd really like to get more setting up and at more FPS. I also have a 1920 by 1080 resolution screen, which may be a stress factor too...
    Funny enough we have the exact same processor. I'm using a powercolor radeon 5750. I run my shit on high/ultra settings with the same resolution as you.... I have a few in the "good" range... but i cant think what that is (not logged in game atm). I get 60dps pretty much everywhere and around 40ish in busier places aka raids/org. Hope that helps.

I'll likely have Sunshafts and Shadows still on low and disabled. I've never had them before and doubt it would dramatically affect my gameplay experience to have more eye candy going on. Everything else will likely be put at Ultra or High, with Liquid Detail going down to Good. Could I achieve a 50FPS to 60FPS rate steadily with this Radeon HD5770?

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...y=#ReviewStart

I know little about reliable brands, and am wondering if XFX is a wise brand to get this card from. I've read a LOT of positive reviews about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlyrrh View Post
    I'll likely have Sunshafts and Shadows still on low and disabled. I've never had them before and doubt it would dramatically affect my gameplay experience to have more eye candy going on. Everything else will likely be put at Ultra or High, with Liquid Detail going down to Good. Could I achieve a 50FPS to 60FPS rate steadily with this Radeon HD5770?

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...y=#ReviewStart

I know little about reliable brands, and am wondering if XFX is a wise brand to get this card from. I've read a LOT of positive reviews about it.
    I use Sapphire 5770s and have had good luck. that being said XFX has a lifetime warranty and well...thats hard to beat

While it is true that the processor that OP is using isn't incredable he should be getting better FPS with it.

The HD54XX and HD55xx are HTPC decoder cards, they are NOT gaming cards. In this case his bottle neck is the GPU.

Upgrading to a HD 57xx + or a GTS450 will give him a noticeable boost.

I went from an HD4650 @ 1440x900 with everything on fair to get constant playable framrates to a GTS450 @ 1080p and everything on ultra with no fps issues.

To the OP - I believe that currently a gts450 is a better buy than the HD5770. The nvidia card should cost reasonablely less and I believe that with the latest round of drivers it benchmarks better than the radeon.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hambonee View Post
    I use Sapphire 5770s and have had good luck. that being said XFX has a lifetime warranty and well...thats hard to beat
    Only true if you live in the US, just to clarify for anyone reading who lives outside the US. Please always check with your retailer! Make sure you register your product within 30 days of purchasing too, if you want lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-01-05 at 08:24 PM.

Instead of a 5770, if you live by a Fry's or keep an eye on Newegg you can find a GTX460 for a very comparable price. And 460 is better, faster, stronger and more future-proof than the 5770.

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    Instead of a 5770, if you live by a Fry's or keep an eye on Newegg you can find a GTX460 for a very comparable price. And 460 is better, faster, stronger and more future-proof than the 5770.
    It also eats much more energy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    It also eats much more energy.
    That's hardly a concern at the GTX 460 level. It's a potential complaint at the GTX 480 level. The GTX 460 is a better card dollar for dollar than the Radeon 5770.