Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    You should be convinced by the fact that in the phased areas in WotLK (mostly Icecrown) you were able to mine all nodes regardless of where you were in the different questlines. What happened then was that you would sometimes swoop down and begin mining and then be met by the "item is already in use" notification when someone else in another phase had gotten there before you. Sure, that was a bit annoying because you couldn't see the actual person in the other phase which was kind of a timewaster, but it's nowhere near as annoying as seeing a node appear and disappear due to phasing like it is now.
    The phasing in Northrend didn't affect areas in the way it does in Cataclysm, where it is used to phase entire zone areas as you progress through them and where the zones themselves change. In Northrend you would go to a phased area but it would still have mobs, you just wouldn't be able to see quest-specific mobs for one area's phasing. The areas themselves did not really change, as opposed to something like Hyjal where you actually change the zone by progressing through it.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Most of the customer service reps don't know that much about the game, sad but true.
    Beta Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Did they send you a "Please reset your UI" email?
    +
    delete wtf , cache and addons
    Its their usual in-game answer for everything these days
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Stated by the GM that he is convinced was wrong? I'm convinced. Someone in the Customer Service department definately has the last word on game mechanics.
    Er, it's a well known fact that nodes are not supposed to be affected by phasing, it's been like that since phasing was introduced. The GM was wrong in thinking it was un-phased player causing this instead of a bug, but he is correct that in many cases these issues are caused by un-phased players because phasing doesn't affect nodes.

Erm. Are you really saying that addons which are not made by Blizzard are Blizzard's responsibility? Most of the time, addons are the cause of most problems in the game if something is happening to you and not other people, not every problem but a lot of them, and so generally they would try the thing that is most likely to fix your problem if they don't have a specific bug report or it's not a known issue.
    No, I'm saying that the addon framework, made by Blizzard, is Blizzard's responsibility. Addons cause problems because the addon framework is badly designed. All software will have bugs, including addons, in a properly designed environment the effects of the bugs are strictly contained. Modern operating systems don't crash because an application crashed, modern browsers don't crash because embedded content on one site crashed, and WoW should not crash because an addon crashes or does something stupid.

Stated by the GM that he is convinced was wrong? I'm convinced. Someone in the Customer Service department definately has the last word on game mechanics.
    no offense but a poster on a non blizzard MMO site is the last word? You think that is how it is supposed to work however it just doesn't seem logical to have gather nodes that only a small % of the population can actually use.

I will agree with you about addons. and it is pretty much standard operating procedure to rule out the most common causes of problems first, hence why the disable addons and delete WTF folder responses are so common.
    Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by M_10
    I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've also had this issue, I think it's just a phasing issue. You shouldn't be able to see them because it should phase you before you do. I think that's what is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Er, it's a well known fact that nodes are not supposed to be affected by phasing, it's been like that since phasing was introduced. The GM was wrong in thinking it was un-phased player causing this instead of a bug, but he is correct that in many cases these issues are caused by un-phased players because phasing doesn't affect nodes.
    Could you find a blue quote about this "well known fact" or is it another of those things that "everyone knows" but which is just an assumption? Any offical proof that they are not supposed to phase by a developer would be great.

No, I'm saying that the addon framework, made by Blizzard, is Blizzard's responsibility. Addons cause problems because the addon framework is badly designed. All software will have bugs, including addons, in a properly designed environment the effects of the bugs are strictly contained. Modern operating systems don't crash because an application crashed, modern browsers don't crash because embedded content on one site crashed, and WoW should not crash because an addon crashes or does something stupid.
    No. Addons cause problems because they are badly designed or not designed to work with whatever completely random addons out of the thousands of addons being used you have installed. Considering none of them are tested by Blizzard since they are not the ones who make them, how can they prevent an addon from interacting badly with another addon aside from simply not allowing any of them?
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-01-05 at 09:30 AM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    You can actually fish from them if you use for example the raid world markers to mark them before they disappear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogabr View Post
    happened to me in uldum when i was braindead farming whiptail on my druid, on ysondre there is a cinderbloom herb on the left river right at the top next to the troff of water thats all bricked in, every time i flew past i thought i saw whiptail but it just turned out to be a cinderbloom patch that would disappear and reappear based on how far i moved away from it, managed to lag myself really hard via downloading then attempted to herb it, got the XP and the loot box but i couldn't loot it :/

I had exactly the same problem same herb and everything even tried herbign it after various quest hubs had been completed and it still phases out even after completing the damned zone.

also has anyone ofund the twilight jasmine plant located aproximately 20 foot off the ground in wone of the ruined dwarven villages in TH?

Could you find a blue quote about this "well known fact" or is it another of those things that "everyone knows" but which is just an assumption? Any offical proof that they are not supposed to phase by a developer would be great.
    The way you provided a blue quote that nodes are now supposed to be affected by phasing? No, I'm not going to do your homework for you.

No. Addons cause problems because they are badly designed or not designed to work with whatever completely random addons out of the thousands of addons being used you have installed. Considering none of them are tested by Blizzard since they are not the ones who make them, how can they prevent an addon from interacting badly with another addon aside from simply not allowing any of them?
    Read what I wrote again, you did not understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I understood this right, you see the yellow dot on your minimap, when you fly towards it it disapear. And when you begin to fly away you can see the dot again?
    I've experienced this and my guess is that they are despawning and respawning again. Have happend to me, get to the place the dot on the map was, can't find it, begin to fly again see the dot again returns and there is the vein.
    I guess that if a player haven't mined it for some minutes it will despawn and respawn again after a few seconds.
    There are time when I feel I'm afraid for the world
    There are times I'm ashamed of us all
    When you're floating on all the emotion you feel
    And reflecting the good and the bad

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

The way you provided a blue quote that nodes are now supposed to be affected by phasing? No, I'm not going to do your homework for you.
    I'm not the one claiming that it's supposed to work this way and so is bugged. If you provided some proof it would show you are not just assuming it's bugged and not bothering to actually find out if you are wrong or not. But so far, you are just making an assumption it is bugged and claimed it is not supposed to phase without backing up your claim anywhere.

Or, to put it another way:
    It's supposed to phase, you are wrong, Blizzard have said this but I'm not going to offer any proof of this.

As you can see your argument works just as well the other way.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-01-05 at 09:36 AM.

I'm not the one claiming that it's supposed to work this way and so is bugged. If you provided some proof it would show you are not just assuming it's bugged and not bothering to actually find out if you are wrong or not. But so far, you are just making an assumption it is bugged and claimed it is not supposed to phase without backing up your claim anywhere.

Or, to put it another way:
    It's supposed to phase, you are wrong, Blizzard have said this but I'm not going to offer any proof of this.

As you can see your argument works just as well the other way.
    Except logic dictates that phasing nodes would be unfair, thus defeating your arguement. Also, the phasing in cata is no different than the phasing in wrath, just used more.

Nodes aren't phased my ass, theres on in Uldum that you can see until you get in range to actually mine it and it disappears, step back a few and it reappears.

Stop being argumentative and actually read the guy's comment. If the radio in your car fails, do you expect the entire car to stop working?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Except logic dictates that phasing nodes would be unfair, thus defeating your arguement. Also, the phasing in cata is no different than the phasing in wrath, just used more.
    More assumptions based on nothing, fun. Cata phasing is no different...despite the fact that it changes the zones themselves instead of just mobs in the area. As for claiming it's unfair, to who? I know it must piss off bots who haven't done the quests, but maybe they consider it a reward for getting through the quest chains, or maybe they just didn't put a huge amount of development time into ore placement in phased areas this expansion.

Still waiting on that blue post where they say phasing is not supposed to affect nodes.

Here's something they added on the Cataclysm FAQ:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Will “phasing” be used more extensively in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm?

Yes. We’ve come up with a number of new, cool ways to use phasing since we introduced it in Wrath of the Lich King, and we plan to use it more extensively to change the world as players progress.
    Since they say they have come up with new ways to use it and they planned to use it more extensively, it sounds like it isn't exactly the same as the phasing in Wrath.

And again, in Wrath Phasing only affected players and mobs. In Cataclysm it affects the zone itself. The zone is where the ores are.

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by avprox777 View Post
    Stop being argumentative and actually read the guy's comment. If the radio in your car fails, do you expect the entire car to stop working?
    I've never had addons completely crash my game, however I have had addons cause issues with my interface. Is it outside the realms of logic that addons which change your interface may not work well with other addons which affect your interface, and that they could cause a problem with your interface? It's not like your radio stopping your car from turning on, it's more like installing random audio programs on your radio from different people who made them in their spare time might make the sound on your radio not work properly.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-01-05 at 09:54 AM.

I have experienced this with herbs. They will appear on the minimap but when you get close they dissappear, purely because they are in another phase. I found one in hyjal, got close and it dissappeared. Quickly flew in directly to the herb spot and managed to click it, I got my skill point but not the herb as it dissappeared but if I kept flying in and out it was still there...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    That happened to me with an herb in Uldum. At least I got the XP!
    this!
    i've had this on my priest in uldum as well

I've never had addons completely crash my game, however I have had addons cause issues with my interface. Is it outside the realms of logic that addons which change your interface may not work well with other addons which affect your interface, and that they could cause a problem with your interface? It's not like your radio stopping your car from turning on, it's more like installing random audio programs on your radio from different people who made them in their spare time might make the sound on your radio not work properly.
    I completely agree that using addons that clash and cause UI errors are not blizzard's responsibility. However, we are not talking about mere UI errors.

Let me quote what Skullcrack said on page 2:

There is no excuse for allowing an addon to crash the whole game, a misbehaving addon should only ever be able to crash itself.
    So yeah, its exactly like your car radio stopping your car from turning on.

I agree that addons shouldn't be able to crash the entire game, but it's a bit difficult to compare it to a car, since it doesn't really have an interface to install things on. With something like a browser, you could technically install addons that could crash it since, but generally addons for things like Firefox are submitted and approved before being put up for Download, while Blizzard don't approve or have any control over the addons for Wow.