Wireless card for desktop

Just wondering if these are still around haha. As it is, at my apartment the router is downstairs and my room is upstairs, and I don't want to run a cable all the way upstairs to connect my PC to the internet. Can anyone suggest me a wireless card I could get for my system, and what type of slot would it fill? My Pci-e slot is already filled by my gpu, of course, so would there be one that would fit a regular PCI slot?

Thanks!

Deleted
    Normally most computers have several PCI-E slots, or at least a PCI-E 1x slot in addition. Sure you've not got that?

Honestly, get a wireless N USB dongle. No reason to waste a PCI slot on just a wireless card. If you are running out of USB ports... get a USB 2.0 expansion card and slap that in instead!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Normally most computers have several PCI-E slots, or at least a PCI-E 1x slot in addition. Sure you've not got that?
    I do have a PCI-e 1x slot, but it seems pretty close to my 16x slot, which is where my 6850 will be, which is obviously a double bay card. Just doubtful on how it would fit in there. I made the mistake of getting a micro board that I can't return (the one in my sig.) it's a quality board, but a bit sparse on the slots it has haha.

@phage

I've never really had any good experiences with those. I'll look into it at least but they have never worked out for me well. Any suggestions on brands/products to get?

Wireless card

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166038
    Good reviews and not to expensive. It goes in a normal PCI slot. If I needed a card I would buy this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166038
    Good reviews and not to expensive. It goes in a normal PCI slot. If I needed a card I would buy this one.
    Looks great, I'll check around a bit more to be sure but I'll probably grab that one in the end. Thank you very much.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Why can't you run a CAT5e?
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't get USB, I've had nothing but bad experiences using USB adapters
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    I run a wireless card in a normal PCI slot, I don't think there's any need to run it in a PCIe slot..
    Edit: Getting 40ms btw.
    Last edited by mmocf3173aaef6; 2011-01-05 at 03:58 PM.

Being hard wired into your internet hub is easily the best for WoW. If you really can't run through a Cat5e, I would suggest simply getting the USB wireless port as described above. My buddy actually uses a D-Link one and seems to play WoW with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Why can't you run a CAT5e?
    Like I said in the OP, it's just a long distance to run it. I don't really have any way to conceal the cable, and I just know that my stupid roommate will trip over it and fuck up either cable or my mobo.

If I could describe how the cable actually has to be run to my room it would make more sense but it's hard to do via text over the internet haha. But basically it would cross a hallway, and have to be run up along a wall.. it's weird. The wireless card just saves me the hassle.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaarh View Post

I've never really had any good experiences with those. I'll look into it at least but they have never worked out for me well. Any suggestions on brands/products to get?
    I use the Belkin - Basic N150 Wireless USB Adapter from best buy.

no problems at all. BUT I also sit right next to my router

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said in the OP, it's just a long distance to run it. I don't really have any way to conceal the cable, and I just know that my stupid roommate will trip over it and fuck up either cable or my mobo.

If I could describe how the cable actually has to be run to my room it would make more sense but it's hard to do via text over the internet haha. But basically it would cross a hallway, and have to be run up along a wall.. it's weird. The wireless card just saves me the hassle.
    Masking tape is enough in a house to protect cables crossing floors.

Whatever you have to do though, personally the thought of wireless on a stationary computer just makes me rage.

no problems at all. BUT I also sit right next to my router
    Now that's just silly! Get a cable!

Masking tape is enough in a house to protect cables crossing floors.
    Tape doesn't stick too well to carpet :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    if wired, better to go up wall, across ceiling, down wall rather than across floor... much safer for you and the cable

15+ Year Old Account
    Tape doesn't stick too well to carpet :P
    Depends on the carpet! But usually.... yeah... you got a point. xD

Duct tape!

Or the OP could just put it around the walls?

It costs around $30 for a cable that would suit your needs (20 meter cable, you can go higher np)
    You can then get a nail that has a plastic bend over it that goes around the cable. You can use this to hide the cable very close to the wall. (I forgot the name of the damn thing!) Also, As Asera said, you can also cover it with tape to.

Wired is always the best option for a desktop computer (In most situations)

Edit: Oh yeah, buying a cable would most likely cost you around the same price or even less, depending on the size you need and where you buy it from! It just requires more effort.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    if wired, better to go up wall, across ceiling, down wall rather than across floor... much safer for you and the cable
    Did not see your post, but hopefully the OP gets the idea and makes an informed choice
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-01-05 at 09:28 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Now that's just silly! Get a cable!
    I wish but I have a wireless only router (was cheaper cause i have internet at work now too) so I can't

Whatever you have to do though, personally the thought of wireless on a stationary computer just makes me rage.

I know, right?
    Actually I have a PCIe 1x Wireless N card in this little Mini-ITX computer a few feet to my right, except that computer runs Gentoo, and serves as my router and wireless access point, so i'm cool with that.