Arcane mages. low dps

So my guild is raiding BWD right now, and our arcane mage is pulling 9k and the surv hunter is up at 20k, everyone else is somewhere in between. I saw the mages rotation, he does Arcane blastx2 arcane missiles. Is there a way he can increase is dps or is arcane just weak atm?

Arcane is weak (what was already stated by blizz), however your friend most likely fail terribly. Arcane base on burn and regain phases. So if he was casting 2ABAM all the time he wasn't using any burns (from what you've said). However still his dps won't be too competetive with rest.
    And hunters and muti rogues are sick...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, an arcane mage's highest dps comes from straight arcane blasting. This kills his mana pretty quickly, however, the trick is to time the arcane blast debuff resets (ala barrage or missiles) and gems/evoc to have as much blasting time with as high mana at the time as possible. Usually I pull about 15k dps, and i'm in 333 blues. I'd have better gear by now, but I haven't felt motivated recently... but that's a different topic :P

Arcane is weak at the moment, but 9k is just terrible. He should easily be above 10k sustained.

Get him to read some guides, or you can just make him go Frost / Fire.