Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeena View Post
    OMG Blizz, on that one you just decided to get all sadistic on our asses ... I remember spending 2 hours of mindless clicking at Dalaran when I was providing my guild with glyphes ... Why on earth didn't you add the milling process like any tailoring bolt/tissu transformation ? Or anything in that spirit, queuing it up instead of this irritating click ?
    The macro is:

/cast Milling
    /use Peacebloom
    /use Goldthorn

Keep adding frequently used herbs till the 255 char limit. Or make multiple macros, I guess. Does break if you have odd stacks though (non multiples of 5).

For completeness:

/cast Prospecting
    /use Saronite Ore

(Not tested, there may be a typo, I just recited them from memory)

10+ Year Old Account
    Glyphs.

duh.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

What you aren't realizing is the cost of the mats. From one stack of herbs (which cost around 100g on my server) you get around 5-8 regular inks. It takes 10 rare inks to make a darkmoon card and it takes 10 of the common inks to trade for 1 rare ink. Then add in the price of life's (10g each on my server) x30. the price to make 1 card is to great, let alone make a random card that can make it a long and expensive task to make one deck.

oh and btw WTB INK TRADER IN SW

I feel bad for my guild scribe. It's a terrible profession. It might've actually had a recurring use had Blizzard let them create the Dust of Disappearance instead of selling it on a vendor. As it currently is, people get their glyphs and they're done. The only people wanting new glyphs are total newbies (rare) or alts, in which case they've probably got means to procure their own glyphs.

So these people claiming they make 15k a day with Inscription are likely just lying. I've seen a few people put in bulk orders for fortune cards, trying to gamble their way to riches and Darkmoon cards, but in the end there's not really anything they can sell that makes great money. I laugh every time I see a scribe trying to sell Glyph of Fear on my server for 200g, then I go ask my guild scribe for one, and he's like sure, bam, there you go. On rare occasions, I may actually have to go herb for a short while to make up for the inks. And about those Darkmoon cards, if you know anything about herbing, Volatile Lifes are the easiest Volatile to get.
    And a profession shouldn't just be about how lucrative it is, but also how useful it is in PvE and PvP.

So other than the convenience of not having to grind Therazane for the shoulder enchant, Inscription pretty much has nothing I would ever consider to be important. Especially once you already know all the good glyphs for your class.
    Last edited by Aerofluff; 2011-01-13 at 03:29 PM.

at least scribes can make some useful relics and offhand stuff now. the glyphs rarely sell, its not worth it considering the amount of time or gold spent on mats. ink trader no longer takes ink of the sea so you get stuck with loads of that if you still interested in northrend research. darkmoon cards are costly to make and again it doesnt make sense from a cost benefit standpoint.

i pretty much only use it for my alts and guild. rarely do i see someone scream out for a scribe (and tip well). the fortune cards sold well (70g) but have since come down as many are discouraged by the low % you can get 20g+. now the AH has them from 15-20g. not bad but not the money maker it once was.

Sell Glyphs for ridiculous amount of gold to no-brainers.
    Sell cards to epic whores for even greater amount of gold, tada. Profit.

And it comes with shiny shoulder enchant too!

Inscriptionators can summon armies of ooze made only from paper
    If that's not a good reason for taking a profession I don't know what is

So uh, Inscription is for making a fuck ton of money off of DMC Cards, IF you have Herbing, I leveled it to 525 yesterday, using my own herbs and have made 14k so far from the cards, granted i've probably been lucky to get Ember and Wave cards which sell for atleast 2k on my server, majority are 4k which people happily pay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerofluff View Post
    And about those Darkmoon cards, if you know anything about herbing, Volatile Lifes are the easiest Volatile to get.
    And if you know anything about Inscription: The Volatiles are not the problem with the cards. They are really, really not. It's the 10 Inferno Ink in every single one of them that makes them freakin' expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    So uh, Inscription is for making a fuck ton of money off of DMC Cards, IF you have Herbing, I leveled it to 525 yesterday, using my own herbs and have made 14k so far from the cards, granted i've probably been lucky to get Ember and Wave cards which sell for atleast 2k on my server, majority are 4k which people happily pay.
    Well, you probably would have made more if you just sold the Herbs. You know, stuff you farm is not free, it still has a price. If you could sell the Herbs for more than you get from the cards you just made a loss in profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    Flawed logic, by saying you HAVE TO be herbalist to make money out of it, you are implying the following, which is unfortunately a common think among the population : herbs are so expensive, that you are better off farming those and make cards withyour gathering. Which is completely wrong, if you CANT make a profit out of herbs you buy directly from the AH, then you MUST sell you herbs on the AH for the same price, and dont even bother with inscription. You would think most people are aware of this, since its common logic, but it seems that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerofluff View Post
    So these people claiming they make 15k a day with Inscription are likely just lying. I've seen a few people put in bulk orders for fortune cards, trying to gamble their way to riches and Darkmoon cards, but in the end there's not really anything they can sell that makes great money. I laugh every time I see a scribe trying to sell Glyph of Fear on my server for 200g, then I go ask my guild scribe for one, and he's like sure, bam, there you go.
    2k to 5k per day with about an hour invested max, and that is an hour if I mill herbs. Laugh all you want, but the high price on my server is only 160g and I get that amount a lot. I originally figured the glyph market would have dried up pretty quickly but it still is moving at a great clip. I sell only glyphs. The key to keeping the profit up is to concentrate on the class glyphs that people want. That and getting on the good side of the lifers who work the AH 24x7. We have two ALL time glyph sellers and I am on their whitelist. It is profitable to them to keep me on the WL as they don't have to cancel/post every time I log on. Let alone I don't post in the amounts they do.

So laugh all you want, those glyphs do sell and in significant numbers
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by Willeena View Post
    All professions are balanced, Inscription like any other, just like Lazur points out : it saves the hassle of getting exalted with any shoulder inscription related faction.

Thus the little lottery aspect of the mysterious fortune card by itself renders this profession fun !

However if there is indeed something REALLY sucky with this profession, it's the plant milling process ...

OMG Blizz, on that one you just decided to get all sadistic on our asses ... I remember spending 2 hours of mindless clicking at Dalaran when I was providing my guild with glyphes ... Why on earth didn't you add the milling process like any tailoring bolt/tissu transformation ? Or anything in that spirit, queuing it up instead of this irritating click ?
    Which is where half of the dailies are right now. People are going to be doing the rep grind anyways for gold at 85.

Deleted
    You'are able to make loads of money with the Darkmoon cards atm, but that will change ofc since the trinkets are just 359 ilvl. My friend managed to make 70k gold in a couple of days by making those cards. But it is indeed a boring proffesion. Dno about the Mysterious cards, if they can produce any profit.

Inscription is so terrible that it got me to the gold cap this month selling trinkets/relics/glyphs....

The people complaining about the RNG of making cards just don't have the capital to invest. I spent 300K buying herbs/lifes off the ah last month (I challenge anyone to get that many herbs gathering them themselves) and made ~25 decks. I'm down to 7 decks left with plenty of time to go till the next fair and I"m the only one on my AH selling trinkets right now and not decks so they are going for a massive premium. I made enough this month that I took a bunch of my decks and sold them in guild for the mat cost to help our raiding. All the money that I spent buying herbs has come back in already plus plenty more.

i.imgur.com/5SFIv.jpg

Well, i "only" made 300k out of decks with the previous faire, but that was selling more than half of my decks well under market prices (but still over mat costs) to guildmates to boost my raid too So should have been more like 400/450k, but that's fine with me. If i were on a bigger server, with a much more steady supply of herbs, that would have obviously been much much more, but i don't think i could have squeeze any more money out of herbs at the AH during the past month So it all comes down to how many stacks there is to buy at the AH everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazur View Post
    Suckiest? Hmm... Make darkmoon cards, make offhands and relics, get the best shoulder enchant in the game letting you skip getting exaulted with Therazane, make fortune cards, sell glyphs to everyone that rolled a worgen or goblin, make and sell low level decks to ppl farming darkmoon rep.... Not to mention it's on par with BS/Ench/Alch as far as PvE gains for most classes. So I wouldn't say it's the "suckiest" prof in the game, atleast don't say that within earshot of an engineer.....
    in my opinion, its the best, for above reasons. It is just so easy to make money with, and believe you me, theres a lot of money in it! I sell 100+ fortune cards a day, 35g each. Just dont ever flip them. Its not worth it. When i mill all these herbs to make above mentioned cards, i get a lot of rare inks as well, which makes me able to craft 1-2 darkmoon cards, depending on my luck (have to buy the volitale life thou). The cards themselves pay back what i invested.

I'd say the opportunity cost for gathering the herbs yourself is low IF you're collecting them while you're doing something else. Picking up Twilight Jasmine, Whiptail, or Cinderbloom while in those zones doing dailies you'd do anyway costs very little. Making a lot of Darkmoon cards that way would take a ridiculous amount of time though.

With any luck, Blizzard will drop the Inferno Ink cost of those Darkmoon cards in the next content patch to make them more reasonablely priced as "gearing up" crafted items.

opportunity cost doesn't change depending on what else you are doing....It is always going to be the value of your time plus the price you could sell the raw mats for....