Burning Legion best lore?

I love pretty much all WoW lore, but I've always been especially fond of the Burning Legion. Many people tend to think that the Old Gods are the quintessential "bad guys," but Sargeras and his Burning Legion are by far the primary lore antagonists. I get the feeling that we will conquer all of the old gods before the final WoW expansion - which will ultimately face us against Sargeras in the final battle of the Warcraft Universe (or the game at least).

So I'm curious, do you agree with my assessment of the Burning Legion and it's importance in Warcraft lore? and what's your favorite part of the BL?

I've always loved their contempt for any semblance of order in the universe, and their endless army of demons seems insurmountable. My favorite hero Broxigar (im a fanboi, what can i say?) found his place in history fighting against the legion. And I love how Kil'jaeden is so calm and forgiving of his subjects (my guess is that we see KJ die shortly before Sargeras in the last expansion). Every time we push the legion back, it's a huge victory for the races of Azeroth, but 'merely a setback' for the infinite and immortal legion.

All that aside, my very favorite part of the Legion is the Nathrezim (dreadlords) who rarely engage in battle themselves; but rather, would prefer the use of manipulation and diplomacy to convince their enemies to fight against each other, unbeknownst to their victims of course. Such brilliant evil could only be the work of my favorite villains - the Burning Legion.

Yes, the Burning Legion are a very very important part of the WarCraft lore. They are the main reason for nearly all of the events that unfolded from WarCraft 3 to the present. Not that they were meaningless in the previous games though. There are a lot of aspects to the Burning Legion. The World of WarCraft was basically formed because of them. There would not be a horde and there would not be an alliance. And a lot more.
    My favorite part about them are the Pitlords. I find them to be very brutal and awesome creatures.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Dreadlords are wayyyyyy more awesome then pitlords, they are the real masterminds if you ask me. When Sylvanass made them work with her she conquered lordaeron and just when everything was going smooth, nearing the LK kill... WHABAM! Dreadlord turns against her and succesfully takes over UC! Thats what i call bad ass.

Of course. Old gods are really boring if you ask me. I actually don't find them interesting at all, I love them demons tho. I hope they get over this Old God crap soon and go back to the real badass villains.

Quote Originally Posted by hordefanboi View Post
    I love pretty much all WoW lore, but I've always been especially fond of the Burning Legion. Many people tend to think that the Old Gods are the quintessential "bad guys," but Sargeras and his Burning Legion are by far the primary lore antagonists. I get the feeling that we will conquer all of the old gods before the final WoW expansion - which will ultimately face us against Sargeras in the final battle of the Warcraft Universe (or the game at least).
    If you love warcraft lore you should search other books and be amazed at what you find, warcraft has good moments lore wise but very bad ones as well. I like Lovecraft (old gods anyone) and the wheel of time series (where heroes are actually normal people with many flaws that make many mistakes along the way).
    Warcraft lore is in many ways a rip off from somewhare.

That said, i really like the burning legion lore when they don't fall in the typical cartoon villain, the dreanor conquest was awesome.
    The thing i find most interesting is that for a force that loves chaos and want to destroy the order in universe they are very organized themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    Dreadlords are wayyyyyy more awesome then pitlords, they are the real masterminds if you ask me. When Sylvanass made them work with her she conquered lordaeron and just when everything was going smooth, nearing the LK kill... WHABAM! Dreadlord turns against her and succesfully takes over UC! Thats what i call bad ass.
    Without a doubt, Dreadlords are very cool. They always (and I do mean ALWAYS) have plans of their own. They would do any sort of dirty manipulation to get what they want. But I prefer Pitlords, mostly because they are grotesque in appearance, they have a very nasty "in your face" attitude and they look very barbaric and savage.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

I only just started to get into the lore side of things. I have read the first few 'world of warcraft' books (cycle of hatred, rise of the horde, tides of darkness). Do the old warcraft books cover much of the lore?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    It's actually idiotic, if Varimathras had waited, they would have destroyed the Lich King, whom the Legion wanted dead aswell. Then during the celebration of victory, when everyone would be in joy and ecstasy over the triumph, he should have struck.

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hordefanboi View Post

So I'm curious, do you agree with my assessment of the Burning Legion and it's importance in Warcraft lore? and what's your favorite part of the BL?

I've always loved their contempt for any semblance of order in the universe, and their endless army of demons seems insurmountable. My favorite hero Broxigar (im a fanboi, what can i say?) found his place in history fighting against the legion. And I love how Kil'jaeden is so calm and forgiving of his subjects (my guess is that we see KJ die shortly before Sargeras in the last expansion). Every time we push the legion back, it's a huge victory for the races of Azeroth, but 'merely a setback' for the infinite and immortal legion.

All that aside, my very favorite part of the Legion is the Nathrezim (dreadlords) who rarely engage in battle themselves; but rather, would prefer the use of manipulation and diplomacy to convince their enemies to fight against each other, unbeknownst to their victims of course. Such brilliant evil could only be the work of my favorite villains - the Burning Legion.
    Not a fan of the standard "Army of Evil" that just wants to destroy everything for poops and giggles, probably also why I can't play Warhammer aswell, because it's the same, with Chaos being the standard "Army of Evil". Creating an all evil force takes little imagination or creativity, while taking an all evil force and then slowly turning them complex and honorable (Thrall's Horde) takes more.
    Not to mention that Sargeras is oh so common, starts out with the all powerful incarnation of all that is good, then stuff happens, and he becomes the exact opposite. It's been done a billion times before.
    That said, I do enjoy certain aspects of the Legion, such as Archimonde and Kil'jaeden and some of the Nathrezim aswell.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I've never really liked the Burning legion lore for some reason im more of a dragon, Horde and old god lore freak.
    But one character i love from the Burning legion is Mannoroth. I love he's lore.

Burning Legion lore is my second favorite right after Titan lore.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Morgoth-story ftw. Still like it though

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Morgoth-story ftw. Still like it though
    A brilliant example of how standard the whole "good guy goes bad and creates the army of evil" thing is.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    A brilliant example of how standard the whole "good guy goes bad and creates the army of evil" thing is.
    Yea. Sargeras is just veery close to Morgoth in general. From near-god status, "brother" of the greatest of them all, build a new army of twisted versions of excisting things... All kinds of small things

Edit: Most of the Blizzard stories are "based" loosely on excisting stuff, doesn't bother me though.
    Last edited by Kilpi; 2011-01-05 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterrofl12 View Post
    I've never really liked the Burning legion lore for some reason im more of a dragon, Horde and old god lore freak.
    But one character i love from the Burning legion is Mannoroth. I love he's lore.
    Without the Burning Legion there would be no Horde though
    The only reason Orcs are in Azeroth is because of the Legion, if they were never involved the Orcs would still be living on Draenor (Outland)

Cant wait till we find what the legions purposes are, are they after domination? power? respect? Was sargares courpted by the dread lords?

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    Was sargares courpted by the dread lords?
    Pretty much..
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    Cant wait till we find what the legions purposes are, are they after domination? power? respect? Was sargares courpted by the dread lords?
    their purpose is to destroy all the titan's works and send the universe back into total chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's actually idiotic, if Varimathras had waited, they would have destroyed the Lich King, whom the Legion wanted dead aswell. Then during the celebration of victory, when everyone would be in joy and ecstasy over the triumph, he should have struck.
    not a bad point but in defense of the lore, Variamathras' action did pit the alliance and horde against one another since the actions of the Forsaken were generally considered the fault of the entire horde. And making factions fight each other is the Nathrezim's favorite thing to do - leading a battle against the Lich King himself wouldn't really fit the style of the dreadlords. pitlords however...

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by masterrofl12 View Post
    yup the lore behind him is so important, and awesome. Although many things in the history of the lore, if changed, would fundamentally change Azeroth, his lore in particular provides the immediate cause of the orcs entering Azeroth.

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by esmifra View Post
    The thing i find most interesting is that for a force that loves chaos and want to destroy the order in universe they are very organized themselves.
    i like this point. personally I think a contradictory dualism makes for interesting writing. Although they are pretty organized, they tend to battle in chaotic ways. They have a way of "unleashing" their hordes of demons against worlds, and don't always have an extremely organized approach. Although the relationships between the commanders is very organized.