Thread: Parry or dodge?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    and we all know that the character sheets are perfect right?
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalavita View Post
    If that's the case the character sheet tooltip is incorrect, as buffing Horn of Winter adds parry rating, but doesn't change your current dodge rating.
    I misspoke, it's not really converted to rating, but it is treated like it:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Dodge

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalavita View Post
    If that's the case the character sheet tooltip is incorrect, as buffing Horn of Winter adds parry rating, but doesn't change your current dodge rating.
    This is because Strength and Agility are treated differently.

25% of Strength is made into Parry Rating. This is reflected on the tooltip and is then converted at the same 176.719 Parry Rating per 1% Parry as normal. However, Agility has it's own conversion to Dodge% and is added separately from Dodge Rating, for warriors 430.69 Agility = 1% Dodge and this is then added to the 176.719 Dodge Rating per 1% Dodge.

As for this "DR hits harder at X level" bullshit, it comes from people who don't look at the curves and just try to specify a single point where "it gets bad." There is no single point where it gets bad. It gets gradually more bad.

For Parry, at 800 rating you are getting 97.56% benefit. (Actual % Avoidance Divided By Un-DRed % Avoidance)
    1000 is 95.95%
    1200 is 94.39%
    1400 is 92.88%
    1600 is 91.41%
    1800 is 89.99%
    2000 is 88.62%

So your 10% DR point is at right about 1800 parry rating, which is 10.19% Parry Expected but 9.17% Parry after DR. Added to the base 5% parry, that would be 14.17% character sheet tooltip parry, which is right around where a lot of people should be at right now. Is 90% return on your parry rating good? I guess so. Add 150 more rating and you'll only get 89% return. Another 150 rating and you'll get 88% of your expected value. At 2250 you'll get only 87% post-DR. There's no huge DR Spike. The DR'ed Avoidance curve just slowly falls away from the straight Expected Avoidance curve.

By the way, all this DR scrutiny would make way more sense if mastery were initially worse than Dodge and Parry. If that were the case, you could say "Dodge and Avoidance give more benefit up until the point where they are DRed to 85%, at which point the un-DRed Mastery starts to provide more benefit."
    However this ISN"T the case. You are ALREADY maximizing Mastery first and foremost. Dodge and Parry are equal and secondary to Mastery. So then you just have to balance the two, which is simple: for warriors we have 5% base parry and 3.785 base dodge. So our character sheet tooltip Parry% should be held at 1.215% more than the Dodge% Tooltip. This ensures that your DRed avoidance is at exactly the same point on the curve and are thus maximizing both.
    Last edited by Porcell; 2011-01-06 at 05:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    Second DR doesn't affect dodge and parry almost in any way at 15%. it DOES however affect it at 23% to the point that it is no longer beneficial to pick up any more rating. If you would like me to find this information for you since you seem to never bring any yourself i can certainly accommodate your lack of resourcefulness
    DR is a curve, not some rectangular thing. While it is higher at 23% than at 15%, there is no jump between those. You're also forgetting that avoidance also has increaseing returns. the step from 10%-11% is smaller than the step from 50%-51% in damage taken.

So as long as you do not back up your claim that at 23% is the point at which it suddenly becomes worth less than mastery, it is invalid. But like someone else said, 23% is around the total amount of avoidance you get at point where most people start raiding.

Edit: Porcell beat me to it

As for dodge from agi being affected by DR. Just checked it by using HoW once while stripped naked and one in full tanking gear.
    It is affected by DR, but the character panel does not show it as rating.
    Last edited by Zao; 2011-01-06 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    By the way, all this DR scrutiny would make way more sense if mastery were initially worse than Dodge and Parry.
    Actually, with the recently announced DS changes on the PTR, Mastery may very well be worse than avoidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith View Post
    Actually, with the recently announced DS changes on the PTR, Mastery may very well be worse than avoidance.
    Damnit, how did I fall into the DK topic. That's what I get for clicking a quick link at the top of the main MMO Page.

Mastery is still the shiznit for Paladins and Warriors. That's the perspective I was coming from, sorry.

Deleted
    So, just to make it clear... i should always have "HoW" active and make sure ratings are even when counting in the extra parry from it? Right, right, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to you can. If you want to be on the safe side, always get little more dodge than parry, because of HoW (or similar buffs) and MotW/BoK

The effect will be rather minor though, so it's no biggy if you don't.

Deleted
    i just recently reforged so those rating are just about even now... forgot about HoW... ok, might get some more dodge again then, thx