Deleted

Maelstorm Crystals in Cataclsym

I know we're in an early stage of the expansion and all, but I think blizzard didn't think when they made many of the best enchants (not weapon) require Maelstorm Crystals.

The difference in this expansion is that 5 man heroic end bosses no longer drop epics which has been the case in previous expansions, thus making them alot harder to aquire for a big part of the community. It's not very likely that epics will be disenchanted in raids this early on either and incase they are getting disenchanted it's very likely that the guild will store them and provide the players within with crystals.

My thoughts on this is that Blizzard shouldn't have the good non-weapon enchants cost as many Maelstorm Crystals as they do right now, or maybe none at all. Howver the good weapon enchants should feel special and good and therefore more expensive/harder to get.

Do you think blizzard will reduce the cost on some of the enchants when it comes to crystals or just keep them as they are? Would this be good/bad?

No it's fine like it is

I would not be surprised if later heroics, such as the Abyssal Depths 5-man that'll be released next patch, will drop epic gear. It's perfectly fine for the best enchants to require Maelstrom Crystals. Otherwise, what would be the point of the crystals?

They already are expensive/harder to get and you are complaining about it. If you want the enchants so bad and are unable to get them the expensive/hard way... level up an alchemist/enchanter. Or get 9 other friends together and run BoT trash farming runs and d/e (or sell) those epics and you will be able to get your adored Maelstorm Crystals.

Our guild which isn't exactly at the peak of progression is already disenchanting gear since we're getting a lot of gear for the the same people.. repeatedly. It just makes it so our raiders aren't asking for enchants on things that really aren't BiS.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    The difference in this expansion is that 5 man heroic end bosses no longer drop epics which has been the case in previous expansions, thus making them alot harder to aquire for a big part of the community. It's not very likely that epics will be disenchanted in raids this early on either and incase they are getting disenchanted it's very likely that the guild will store them and provide the players within with crystals.
    While I agree that I wish they were easier to obtain being a non-enchanter, out of 4 pieces of epic loot last night in raid (not much, I know), 3 were DE'd.

If you can't get maelstrom crystals right now you probably shouldn't need them anyways. What, you want them to enchant that heroic 5 man blue item that's best in slot until you actually start raiding? I'm not trying to poke fun, but you really don't need to enchant some mid-level item with the best possible enchant right now.

The good enchants that don't use Maelstorm crystals are pretty darned good too.
    I don't think they will reevaluate the materials cost, as they are pretty low comparatively.
    I believe that anybody that isn't raiding doesn't really have room to talk about raid quality enchants. Basically these enchants are something that you're supposed to grow into, so we don't see people in heroic blues running around with all the best enchants.

I think they might go back to the way it was in 3.2 though, where you had heroic raid lockouts and normal raid lockouts. I do know I do not fully understand the current raid lockout system and that it seems needlessly complicated and poorly programmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you, and I'm hoping they reduce the number of Maelstrom Crystals required for non-weapon enchants. 5 Crystals for a 65 crit cloak enchant? Yikes! Especially considering you can get 50 crit for 8 dust and 2 greater essence. Heck, for a hunter it's better to still use +22 agi to cloak as a stopgap to the higher-end crit enchant. I'd be fine if they just increased the amount of dust and/or essence and/or shards required for the non-weapon enchants, and remove the Crystal requirement altogether, and only using them for weapon enchants.

We have like one stack already on our Guild bank... you dont need BiS enchants if you are not playing for purples

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    If you can't get maelstrom crystals right now you probably shouldn't need them anyways. What, you want them to enchant that heroic 5 man blue item that's best in slot until you actually start raiding? I'm not trying to poke fun, but you really don't need to enchant some mid-level item with the best possible enchant right now.
    I am in a guild that've done 12/12 this far and I'm also the "main" enchanter. I also have plenty of raid gear that should, in my opinion, be enchanted properly but atm there's just no way I can afford this in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I am in a guild that've done 12/12 this far and I'm also the "main" enchanter. I also have plenty of raid gear that should, in my opinion, be enchanted properly but atm there's just no way I can afford this in any way.
    No offense but I find that hard to believe. If you're in a 12/12 guild you'd either have maelstrom crystals available to you or you'd be making money some way in order to afford them because you're basically in a guild that requires you to have your character optimized and you would have your professions maxed. If you've got weapons worth spending the best enchants on then you just need to stop being cheap imo. It was the exact same way at the beginning of WotLK that crystals cost so much, not because they were so rare like now, but because only enchanters could obtain them and would monopolize the market. I remember spending about 3k gold to enchant berserking on my first epic weapon then, so there's really no difference in the cost due to inflation.

The sheer quantity of them that are required per enchant is the issue. I could easily burn through an entire stack of them just on my 359 gear (ilvl 354 atm).

Have someone in the guild being Alchemist/Enchanter and either farm or buy the required materials to craft them (make Lifebound Alchemist Stone and DE it). Material costs about ~800g and sells for 2k+ on my realm, which is both good money making for the person crafting them and great for the guild.