Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Protection Paladin help

I'm pretty a bit geared for now but i want to know what i can change, or what is wrong

In heroics i get lots of damage and sometime healers cant heal me up. Seal of truth is always on and devotion armor.
    This is my link

not sure about the
    hit cap:
    expertise cap:
    how many dodge, parry and block is needed

My pally is Maugris from bronzebeard europe

Link Didnt Show im afraid But i play Prot as my main and with damage it can get a little heavy at times but u just gotta know when to use ur insta free heals and ur cds

10+ Year Old Account
    Your links won't show until you get 10 posts (I believe that's the right number) under your belt. However, with your character (Maugris) and server (Bronzebeard-EU), a quick armory search is easy enough.

Hit cap for paladins would be 8%, like all melee classes (this is for all of our abilities, I believe). Expertise hits the dodge cap at 26 (unsure of the required rating for this right now), and I think the parry cap is 56 (don't quote me on this). These are threat stats though, and threat isn't your main concern here (since you're worried about taking so much damage).

From what I understand, Mastery is king for Protection right now. Dodging and parrying attacks are all well and good, but you run in to a wall around 25% due to diminishing returns on the ratings. With our mastery as well as our increased block percentage (Holy Shield adding 10% to give us a total of 40% blocked) means that when you do take damage, it'll be greatly reduced.

As for your seals and auras, you can switch them around. For seals, I switch from Truth to Insight, especially if the healer is having some trouble keeping me up (with Vengeance, our threat is relatively trivial past the first 10 seconds of a fight). I've also found myself swapping from Devotion to Resistance aura during fights where Fire, Frost, or Shadow damage outweigh the physical damage that I'll be taking.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

most of the times when the tank is taking heavy damage it'S due to a mechanic of the fight. either you're supposed to move out of the way of something or pop a cooldown to absorb most of it. (or something needs to be interrupted)
    otherwise everything is tank and spank as usual.

Couple of things hit this site up and read: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

Second, all tanks take lots of damage now. Good ones manage cooldowns well and limit the damage intake. I hate to say this but if healers can't heal in your gear they are not good. Or are not CC'n enough.

Your gear is on the good side for this point in the game. Mastery is great for limiting incoming melee damage far better than dodge or parry.

I'm at ilvl just a bit higher than yours and I'm at but about 7%more mastery! Go young man and get some mastery on that gear, if it doesn't have it runeforge it. Use seal of insight to heal your self more, grind some earthring rep for your head enchant. Threat is no issue even now in game, move away from hit and exp and get some mitigation.

Hit 8%
    Exp 26 dodge 56 hard cap
    Dodge and parry are fine, go for mastery.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You want to cap ur hit/exp and then get a ton of mastery and a little stamina

Hit 8% requires 961 Hit rating / 841 for Draenei
    26 Expertise requires 781 Expertise rating / get Glyph of Seal of Truth for 10 expertise and get the rest from gear/gems

Mastery seems to be our best statistic as a Protection paladin, with reckoning and shield spike it can also add some passive threat. Our burst damage is great. Always use Divine plea, avenging wrath, judgement, and SOTR for quick burst damage. Mastery helps to sustain your threat. Also, you need to syncronize your cooldowns. We have A big one on 3 minutes, that will pretty much save you in any situation. Save it for life threatening situations. You should then have two cd's from trinkets, generally these are 1-2 minutes. Use these with divine protection. And finally, Argent defender is another 3 minute. I use this one seperately and only if Im in eminent danger similar to guardian of the kings. AD will keep you from dieing for 10 seconds, hopefully long enough for your healer to get you back up. If not you always have a quick lay on hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Mastery seems to be our best statistic as a Protection paladin, with reckoning and shield spike it can also add some passive threat. Our burst damage is great. Always use Divine plea, avenging wrath, judgement, and SOTR for quick burst damage. Mastery helps to sustain your threat. Also, you need to syncronize your cooldowns. We have A big one on 3 minutes, that will pretty much save you in any situation. Save it for life threatening situations. You should then have two cd's from trinkets, generally these are 1-2 minutes. Use these with divine protection. And finally, Argent defender is another 3 minute. I use this one seperately and only if Im in eminent danger similar to guardian of the kings. AD will keep you from dieing for 10 seconds, hopefully long enough for your healer to get you back up. If not you always have a quick lay on hands.
    I wouldn't advice someone who's worried about his survival to spec into reckoning.. Reckoning is a baad idea, you don't want to reset the boss' (or Enraging trash mob's) swing timer.

Master -> Parry/Dodge (preferably in equal levels).

If your currently only in heroics, you'll only need 5% hit but 8% for raids. And remember your cooldowns, you can pretty much use Divine Protection every other trash pack.

Reckoning is a baad idea, you don't want to reset the boss' swing timer.
    If you're referring to parry-hasting, it was barely used in ICC, not at all in any of the 5 mans and I highly doubt it's being used in Cata heroics.

10+ Year Old Account
    mastery mastery mastery its amazing

checkout chaoshead kil'jaeden server

15+ Year Old Account
    From your spec I cant really tell if you've gone for more threat or healing (considering Rule of Law is amazing for Word of Glory healing), for heroics using Word of Glory on yourself (or even others if they really need it) can be a huge help to your healer, you arent there to deal damage, you are there to minimize the damage your group takes.

In your spec you've left out Grand Crusader to get Rule of Law, which i find odd, if you swap two talent points from Seals of the Pure into Grand Crusader you would likely gain threat and be able to interrupt more to lower the damage you take considering the number of casters in heroics.

Glyphs: You've taken Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, and Seal of Truth, leaving out two of the strongest glyphs we can take: Word of Glory and Shield of the Righteous, Hammer of the righteous glyph is hardly necessary and leads me to think you are AoEing slightly too much, mark kill targets, CC and a kill order, single target nuke everything and optimize your CD's on every pull. Judgement is a worthless glyph, by swapping it for Word of Glory (and using Word of Glory more..) you'll increase your survivability alot.

Enchants: Gloves enchant should really be mastery, you are missing out on alot of stat points by using stamina. Boots enchant should also be mastery because the speed increase enchant you have doesn't stack with pursuit of justice. Rest seem fine apart from the obvious Helm due to rep.

Reforging: Theres a few rules as far as reforging (and you should follow these for gemming you cogwheels too)
    - If its dodge + parry, reforge the highest stat to mastery
    - If its either dodge/parry + mastery, leave it alone
    - If its expertise/hit + mastery, reforge the expertise or hit to dodge/parry (whichever stat is lower)
    - If its expertise/hit + dodge/parry, reforge the expertise or hit to mastery

Mastery is king now, get every bit you can get (ie swap one of you engineering cogwheels to mastery too)

Finally make sure you use Divine Guardian in heroics, its insanely strong during high raid damage phases (say last phase in SFK first boss on heroic), in general just use more Word of Glory (because your spec is optimal for it) and ask your groups if you can improve on anything, every little bit helps.

There is several ways to decrease damage taken, many is already mentioned, I will mention them like a list so its easy to see.

Change Auras: You need to adapt to what the boss do.
    Change Seal: It dont reduce damage taken, but healing is increased which is easy on the healer
    Start every boss fight with SotR, its 10% increased block value
    Mastery is king, stamina isnt good, It was good during wotlk when healers had endless mana and bosses were 2 shotting an avoidance tank, and ure block only removed 2k dmg.
    Some fights may require word of glory, but not anything special in hcs, maybe a few if ure doing the achis.
    Proper use of cooldowns, using your divine protection in a group with only hunter trap when only one mob is up isnt any real point, rather use it next group at start. And use BotAK and AD often to, it do help a lot on the healers mana (learn to see when u take lots of damage)
    Dont fail on tacts (very obvious)
    When u start to move over to 360 ilvl, you need to know what blockcap is. (Currently at 353 I start to close in on the block cap using 2 avoidance trinkets)

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Silorn View Post
    From your spec I cant really tell if you've gone for more threat or healing (considering Rule of Law is amazing for Word of Glory healing), for heroics using Word of Glory on yourself (or even others if they really need it) can be a huge help to your healer, you arent there to deal damage, you are there to minimize the damage your group takes.
    I strongly disagree on the Word of Glory part, he is there to minimize the damage the group takes, not to be a wannabe healer, if you use Word of Glory often your group is either failing on tacts, your healer sucks or your DPS in the group is so low that healer run oom. All of this indicates a bad group.

Word of Glory may be used more in some raid encounters, considering I have only tried Halfus, Magmaw and Omnotron I cant really talk a lot about this, but this guy is down at hc lvl so he shouldnt really need to overuse word of glory.
    Last edited by Shanto94; 2011-01-06 at 09:42 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanto94 View Post
    I strongly disagree on the Word of Glory part, he is there to minimize the damage the group takes, not to be a wannabe healer, if you use Word of Glory often your group is either failing on tacts, your healer sucks or your DPS in the group is so low that healer run oom. All of this indicates a bad group.

Word of Glory may be used more in some raid encounters, considering I have only tried Halfus, Magmaw and Omnotron I cant really talk a lot about this, but this guy is down at hc lvl so he shouldnt really need to overuse word of glory.
    Honestly after doing every heroic quite a few times, I've found that guild groups will never have a problem, but after stepping into pugs I've found that I'll do every bit I can until I can see that the healer can hold his own, you can _never_ 100% guarantee that your pug can hold its own, there will almost always be one dps that takes a little too much damage and drains the healers mana, and letting the healer ease off me just seems like the best thing to do, trash can be the parts with the most damage in some instances (HoO for example) and using our (extremely potent) heal instead of the little extra damage seems worth it unless your dps are plain awful and you need all the dps you can get to stop the healer from ooming.

Word of Glory is indeed used a huge amount in raid encounters, on nefarian P2 i tend to just spam Word because the healers will need all of the mana they can get, transferring that to heroics when a tank feels he is taking too much damage, compensate, dont just say "oh well the healer can deal with it"

I have been a Tankadin since Woltk, been a paladin since release of wow.

I have researched a lot of different sites and I am not sure why people think you do not need hit anymore but I still go all the way to 8%.

Hit affects more than just how much TPS you do, it also affects taunt, and I do not ever want a taunt to miss and have someone die.
    Expertise is our #2 TPS stat and that is all the way to hardcap of 55. I am no where near that but I range in the 28-35ish with the 90 expertise / 90 stam food.

These are my current stats.
    Item Level 357 (only 1 pvp item, helm due to mastery boat load stam)
    8% hit on the dot
    24 expertise (before food)
    8.81% Dodge
    12.08% parry
    40.63% block

I am almost completely reforged for hit and expertise to get above the caps and my avoidance and mitigation took a little of a hit but I am still very easy to heal (at least what my healers think) and I am able to maintain enough TPS in 25s to keep my 20k+ dps from pulling off of me.

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Artoge View Post
    I have been a Tankadin since Woltk, been a paladin since release of wow.

I have researched a lot of different sites and I am not sure why people think you do not need hit anymore but I still go all the way to 8%.

Hit affects more than just how much TPS you do, it also affects taunt, and I do not ever want a taunt to miss and have someone die.
    Expertise is our #2 TPS stat and that is all the way to hardcap of 55. I am no where near that but I range in the 28-35ish with the 90 expertise / 90 stam food.

These are my current stats.
    Item Level 357 (only 1 pvp item, helm due to mastery boat load stam)
    8% hit on the dot
    24 expertise (before food)
    8.81% Dodge
    12.08% parry
    40.63% block

I am almost completely reforged for hit and expertise to get above the caps and my avoidance and mitigation took a little of a hit but I am still very easy to heal (at least what my healers think) and I am able to maintain enough TPS in 25s to keep my 20k+ dps from pulling off of me.
    I am one to admit when I am wrong, I guess they changed taunt to never being able to miss from the free 8% hit via Touched by the Light.
    I have sense dropped like 5% hit but I can not bring myself to drop the expertise. I gained about 4.5% mitigation and avoidance and we will see what happens.

Skinner Mobs no longer parry off of an attack and increase there attack speed, this was fixed with Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can verify through... http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

But I believe that at this point you shoot for 9% dodge and 10% parry and everything else goes to mastery since the diminishing returns of the other make them less beneficial. I'm kinda noobish on the hit portion, but unless you are having trouble holding aggro it is less important than your avoidance stats.

You can ignore the hit and expertise caps, after the first 15 seconds of a fight, threat is a non-issue in raids.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aenth/advanced

Mastery, as it's been said, is king. Due to diminishing returns, try to keep your parry and dodge RATINGS about even, so if you cant reforge to mastery, reforge your higher rating to the other, dodge and parry that is.

Deleted
    Ok thanks for the help but How to get hard cap dodge? only have 12% and hard cap is 56?
    Gonna try to reforge all for mastery while looking at hit and expertise cap

You will not hard cap dodge. The Block cap is theoretically 102.4%. This is the amount of block/dodge/parry combined that you will need to be at the point where you will never be hit for full damage, if you are hit at all, it will be a blocked hit. However, this number is unattainable even at heroic level raid gear in this tier, so just focus on reforging and gemming into dodge/parry/mastery avoidance stats and don't worry one bit about hit and expertise. I think I'm running with 2ish% hit and 12ish expertise WITH the seal of vengeance glyph and never have any threat problems in raids. I get a misdirect at the start and once vengeance stacks up I'm so far and away ahead on threat I can /sleep through my rotation if I wanted.

The original comment wasn't about hard capping dodge, it was about expertise. The "soft cap" is 26, raid bosses will have 0% chance to dodge you at 26 expertise so you are 'dodge capped' on expertise. 56 is the "hard cap", raid bosses will have 0% chance to parry you at 56 expertise, thus you gain no additional benefit whatsoever from any expertise above 56. There is no actual cap for dodge rating that we will come anywhere near seeing.

Threat stats can mostly be ignored if your talents, glyphs and rotation are solid. You want to focus on mastery and then dodge/parry (keep them even to avoid a higher diminishing return on either).