Poll: Mage Alliance Race?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Alliance Mage Race and your choice

Alrighty, looking at the possibility of doing a race change however im currently divided so I am looking for some input from the community. Now I have narrowed it (easily of course) down to 2 main options, Draenei or Worgen. Now the tough choice comes down I suppose to needs::

Worgen:
    - 1% Crit Racial, works out to around 200 crit approx.

Draenei:
    - 1% Hit Racial, works out to around 100 hit approx.

So given current gearing, entry level raiding (or further progressed down the road), and the stats each approximate, which would you choose or have chosen for your mage and WHY?
    I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

hmm never really thought about it much, but it does seem being a worgen or draenei mage is definitely an advantage over what i am now (human) raiding wise that is

I would suggest female Nelf, but that is based on my preferences)) Wouldn't make neither spacegoat nor worgen (imho they look terrible in robes)

10+ Year Old Account
    well in terms of advantages, not really looking for looks lol, any other opinions out there guys?

---------- Post added 2011-01-05 at 02:45 PM ----------

if your goign to choose other please post it and why heh
    I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

I just race changed from gnome to worgen and I really like it... however, I do hide my robe through mods and such...

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is no argument, Worgen is by far the best if you are looking to maximize DPS.

The reason is because of the difference in the rating values to get 1% hit and 1% crit. It takes much more of an items budget to get that 1% crit as opposed to 1% hit, meaning that to achieve 1% hit, you are using less of an items budget therefore the rating that would have been used to gain the same amount of crit, could be applied to a different stat. The 40% movement buff is also (somewhat) helpful in raiding since the key to Mage DPS is to move as little as you can. Getting to your position faster is going to result in being able to cast sooner, and in turn increase total damage output. Movement buffs have always been a direct DPS increase, always. This is why Tuskaar's was recommended for Mages in WotLK (assuming you didn't need the hit from Icewalker)

Critical Strike is also highly sought after for 2 of our specs. Fire Mages want to stack the hell out of it, Frost Mages need a 33% soft cap (which admittedly with group buffs, isn't hard), though now I'm stretching it :P

I just race changed from gnome to worgen and I really like it... however, I do hide my robe through mods and such...
    Just be wary of the fact that you can in fact be banned for that. Hiding a 3d game world model/texture (read: no a UI element) that Blizzard doesn't allow you to hide by normal circumstances is not allowed, whether or not you think it's trivial.

edit: too many mistakes
    Last edited by skylla05; 2011-01-05 at 09:57 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Well, Worgen is the clear pure DPS winner, between sprint and 1% crit.
    However, draenei's self-heal isn't terrible, and can actually be significant in some situations. Because of that, I'm fairly comfortable saying that in raid progression situations, the two are roughly equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by skylla05 View Post
    Just be wary of the fact that you can in fact be banned for that. Hiding a model/texture that Blizzard doesn't allow you to hide by normal circumstances is not allowed, whether or not you think it's trivial.

Don't worry, I know but I have been doing it since BC so I think they would have found me by now...

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangaa View Post
    Don't worry, I know but I have been doing it since BC so I think they would have found me by now...
    Hard to say, Warden can see pathing changes in your client via LUA code (and a mod initializing a texture removal would have to repath the texture to nil). Knock on wood I guess

And to the other poster: the Draenei self heal is terrible with the cooldown and 100,000+ health pools, but it's still better than no heal I guess.

And the Gnome racial sucks now. It was changed from 5% intellect to 5% increased mana pool. Aside from Arcane, it's a pretty shitty racial.

Again, from a DPS standpoint, Worgen. No contest.

And btw Bangaa, I love your sig.
    Last edited by skylla05; 2011-01-05 at 10:08 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Hard to say, Warden can see pathing changes in your client via LUA code (and a mod initializing a texture removal would have to repath the texture to nil). Knock on wood I guess

And to the other poster: the Draenei self heal is terrible with the cooldown and 100,000+ health pools, but it's still better than no heal I guess.

And the Gnome racial sucks now. It was changed from 5% intellect to 5% increased mana pool. Aside from Arcane, it's a pretty shitty racial.

I don't have mod initializing it, and yes, I agree with you, right now the racial is pretty good but towards the end of cata, I suspect it will devaluate because hit and crit will be easy to come by.

also thank you :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say worgen because a fire mage wants crit, also it's harder to get 1% crit then 1% hit as someone has already claimed above

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Indeed you Allys are lucky. Horde has to choose between Trolls (HASTE HASTE HASTE... wait what, softcap?) and Goblins (HAHA HASTE TOO, SOFTCAP EZ).

No hit, no crit, nothing useful. Even though we goblins get an extra blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangaa View Post
    I don't have mod initializing it, and yes, I agree with you, right now the racial is pretty good but towards the end of cata, I suspect it will devaluate because hit and crit will be easy to come by.

also thank you :P
    Crit and hit won't be easier to come by. Blizzard plans on increasing the amount needed to get a %, ergo if you need 156 hit for 1%, at T12 you will need 180 hit for 1%.

So on the overall, that 1% is the better choice. Nice Bangaa's, change your avatar from Andramalech though xD

Deleted
    I race changed my mage to worgen when cata was released and i have never been happier they are by far the coolest alli race ^^ well imo
    Althire

Quote Originally Posted by Althire View Post
    I race changed my mage to worgen when cata was released and i have never been happier they are by far the coolest alli race ^^ well imo
    Althire
    This. I did the same thing. Worgen rock.

If you are determined to play Arcane, the gnome extra 5% mana relates well to their mastery.

But Worgen is amazing.

Lua code can't modify any textures in the game world anyway. Lua can only affect the UI itself, and even then only to a certain extent. You can place blank/modified files in your normal directory structure though, which the game will load instead of the one in the .mpq files. Some of these are packed into zips and advertised as "addons" for ease of use, though they aren't really. As far as I remember, the only thing they don't care too much about replacing are sounds (I personally blanked out all the "fizzle" sounds so I don't get massive sound spam when I spam a spell while on GCD). Models/textures are probably bad.

You should roll gnome.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Personally I would say draenei because of 1% hit, the self heal can be a real life saver, and the shadow resistance racial is still fairly nice considering how much shadow damage seems to go around.

Besides...worgen cast animations are horrrriiiibbbllleee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Honestly?

A Draenei.

And I'm not the biggest fan of Draenei.

Have you SEEN the Worgen male casting animation?
    Seriously!?